This article is about the place. For the DLC, see Imperial City (DLC).
|Zone Story Quests
|Points of Interest
|The center of Cyrodiil
At the center of Cyrodiil stands the Imperial City. There, the Three Alliances vie with Daedric overlords and each other for control of the White-Gold Tower.
|Achievements • Books • Fish
The Imperial City is the central city and capital of Cyrodiil and the former Empire.
The bridges to the city are all blocked with impenetrable force fields, and attempting to swim across will only result in your quick demise due to the infestation of slaughterfish. Entry is available through the Alliance War menu to all players.
The Imperial City is divided between the Imperial Sewers and the six Imperial Districts. Each Alliance has a small base in the sewers which provides quick access to the districts, but getting back to base from the districts requires traversing the sewers. Gameplay within the sewers is similar to a large Public Dungeon with PvP, while the districts function as Quest Hubs and battlegrounds. Tel Var Stones are earned and used within the City, but can be lost by dying. The Imperial City also contains the entrances to two PvE Group Dungeons, although these are separate from the campaign.
Completing the Objective in each District counts towards Points of Interest for Zone Completion.
- Arboretum — The southeastern district of the Imperial City.
- Arena District — The eastern district of the Imperial City.
- Elven Gardens District — The northwestern district of the Imperial City.
- Memorial District — The northeastern district of the Imperial City.
- Nobles District — The western district of the Imperial City.
- Temple District — The southwestern district of the Imperial City.
Killing the marked bosses in each section of the Sewers counts towards World Bosses for Zone Completion.
- Abyssal Depths — A section of the Aldmeri Dominion branch of the Imperial Sewers.
- Aldmeri Dominion Base — The main base of operations for the Aldmeri Dominion in the Imperial City, located in the Irrigation Tunnels.
- Alessian Tombs — A section of the Imperial Sewers joining the Ebonheart Pact branch to the central hub.
- Antediluvian Vaults — A section of the Ebonheart Pact branch of the Imperial Sewers.
- Barathrum Centrata — The section of the Imperial Sewers directly beneath White-Gold Tower.
- Daggerfall Covenant Base — The main base of operations for the Daggerfall Covenant in the Imperial City, located in the Lambent Passage.
- Ebonheart Pact Base — The main base of operations for the Ebonheart Pact in the Imperial City, located in the Harena Hypogeum.
- Harena Hypogeum — The section of the Imperial Sewers closest to Ebonheart Pact territory.
- Irrigation Tunnels — The section of the Imperial Sewers closest to Aldmeri Dominion territory.
- Lambent Passage — The section of the Imperial Sewers closest to Daggerfall Covenant territory.
- Vile Drainage — A section of the Daggerfall Covenant branch of the Imperial Sewers.
- Wavering Veil — A section of the Imperial Sewers joining the Daggerfall Covenant branch to the central hub.
- Weaver's Nest — A section of the Imperial Sewers joining the Aldmeri Dominion branch to the central hub.
- Alik'ri Alcove — A location in the Lambent Passage within the Imperial Sewers.
- Bloodmist Slaughterhouse — A location in the Vile Drainage, within the Imperial Sewers.
- Drain-Dweller's Outpost — A location in the Irrigation Tunnels, within the Imperial Sewers.
- Headsman's Bone Pile — A location in the Harena Hypogeum, within the Imperial Sewers.
- Inquisitor's Retreat — A location in the Antediluvian Vaults, within the Imperial Sewers.
- Unfinished Memoirs — A location in the Abyssal Depths, within the Imperial Sewers.
- Arboretum Armory — A workshop in the Arboretum District of the Imperial City, where you may craft items in the Redistributor set.
- Memorial Armory — A workshop in the Memorial District of the Imperial City.
- Nobles Armory — A workshop in the Nobles District of the Imperial City.
- Bone Shard Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the Memorial District of the Imperial City.
- Clawed Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the Arboretum of the Imperial City.
- Daedric Embers Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the Palace Sewers below the White-Gold Tower in the Imperial City.
- Daedric Shackle Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the southern yard of the Imperial City Prison in the Imperial City.
- Ethereal Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the Arena District of the Imperial City.
- Legionary Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the Nobles District of the Imperial City.
- Monstrous Tooth Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the Temple District of the Imperial City.
- Planar Armor Trophy Vault — A treasure vault located in the northern portion Elven Gardens District of the Imperial City.
- Imperial City Prison — A group dungeon found northeast of the Imperial City's Memorial District.
- White-Gold Tower — A group dungeon found in the center of the Imperial City.
Partolling Horrors are not marked on the map, but function in the same way as overland World Bosses.
- Amoncrul — a giant Bone Colossus found in the Nobles District.
- Baron Thirsk — a Grievous Twilight found in the Nobles District.
- Glorgoloch the Destroyer — a Flesh Colossus found in the Arena District.
- Immolator Charr — a flaming Ogrim found in the Temple District.
- King Khrogo — a Daedroth found in the Arena District.
- Lady Malygda — a Spider Daedra found in the Arboretum District.
- Mazaluhad — a Lich found in the Temple District.
- Nunatak — a Frost Atronach found in the Memorial District.
- The Screeching Matron — a Clannfear found in the Elven Gardens District.
- Volghass — a Flesh Atronach found in the Memorial District.
- Ysenda Resplendent — a Harvester found in the Arboretum District.
- Zoal the Ever-Wakeful — a Watcher found in the Elven Gardens District.
Despite being located in the Imperial City, the Arcane University Battleground does not require the Imperial City DLC. It was originally part of the Morrowind Chapter, but was later made available to all players.
- City on the Brink: Report to an alliance General for a briefing on the ongoing struggle for power in the Imperial City. • •
- The Imperial Standard: Defend a garrison from the forces of Molag Bal.
- The Bleeding Temple: Rescue the priests of the Imperial clergy from the Daedra.
- The Watcher in the Walls: Turn the tables on the Daedra in the Imperial Arena.
- Of Brands and Bones: Convince a skeleton to reveal the Worm Cult's excavation plans.
- The Lock and the Legion: Liaise with an Imperial captain who has infiltrated Legion Zero.
- Knowledge is Power: Recover an ancient tome from the Daedra and assist in its translation.
- The Sublime Brazier: Put an end to Molag Bal's plot in the Imperial City.
- Scouting the Arboretum: Scout and secure the Arboretum rally point.
- Scouting the Arena District: Scout and secure the Arena District rally point.
- Scouting the Elven Gardens: Scout and secure the Elven Gardens rally point.
- Scouting the Memorial District: Scout and secure the Memorial District rally point.
- Scouting the Nobles District: Scout and secure the Nobles District rally point.
- Scouting the Temple District: Scout and secure the Temple District rally point.
- Dousing the Fires of Industry: Halt Legion Zero's production of siege weaponry. (Elven Gardens District)
- Historical Accuracy: Help an archivist preserve Imperial documents. (Arboretum)
- The Lifeblood of an Empire: Rescue Imperial citizens from the Daedra. (Arena District)
- Priceless Treasures: Place a ward on theTemple of the One's treasured artifacts. (Temple District)
- Speaking For The Dead: Create an undead spy network to keep an eye on the Worm Cultists. (Memorial District)
- Watch Your Step: Set traps for ogrim in the Nobles District. (Nobles District)
Imperial City Prison Pledge: Prove you are truly Undaunted by clearing the Imperial City Prison.(disabled since Patch 2.6.4)
- Planemeld Obverse: Fulfill the prophecy of an Elder Scroll by freeing the White-Gold Tower from Coldharbour's clutches.
- Pledge: Imperial City Prison: Prove you are truly Undaunted by clearing Imperial City Prison.
- Pledge: White-Gold Tower: Prove you are truly Undaunted by clearing White-Gold Tower.
- Summary Execution: Aid Lyranth on her path to vengeance, and liberate some lost souls along the way.
White-Gold Tower Pledge: Prove you are truly Undaunted by clearing the White-Gold Tower.(disabled since Patch 2.6.4)
- At its launch in Update 7, the Imperial City shared its campaign population with the rest of Cyrodiil. It was split off into its own separate campaign group after Update 22.
- Prior to Update 22, the Imperial City was accessible via three sewer entrances located in Cyrodiil, provided your Alliance met the campaign-specific requirements. At launch, all Alliances across all campaigns had open access to the city; alternative access requirements, in which an Alliance must be in control of a certain number of keeps in order to enter the city, were later added to some campaigns. When Imperial City was transferred into its own campaign, the sewer entrances in Cyrodiil were destroyed.
- Unlike the rest of Cyrodiil, locations where you have to enter dialogue grant a glowing blue "Sanctuary" active effect. Glowing players from different Alliances can see each other, but can't fight.
- The city as shown in the Cinematic Trailers more closely resembles the city in Oblivion than the city as it appears in ESO, with one main bridge leading out of the western district instead of three bridges unattached to the city, and a northeastern district filled with buildings and without a central garden.
- The Imperial City also appeared in Arena, Oblivion, and Oblivion Mobile.
- The city as seen in ESO is rotated 30° counter-clockwise from its orientation in Oblivion. This appears to be a mistake, as it means that the entrance to the Imperial City Prison does not line up with the actual location of the prison still visible on the Cyrodiil map.
- Many quests and NPCs were cut from the final release because play testers had a hard time discerning what they should be doing with all of the different quests around them. The cut quests, NPCs, etc are detailed here.