This article is about NPCs who are vampires. For the disease's effects on the player, see Vampire.
Vampires are NPCs afflicted with Vampirism. The disease causes them to physically change, giving them pale skin and glowing eyes. Vampires are blessed with supernatural powers but their condition makes them vulnerable to sunlight and fire. Vampires are undead and therefore vulnerable to magical effects aimed at the undead.
Most vampires encountered belong to the bloodline created by the first vampire herself, Lamae Beolfag (known as Lamae Bal and the Blood Matron). They have powers including invisibility, mist form, and the ability to summon bat swarms. These vampires also become more powerful at night and, like other vampire bloodlines, their abilities become more potent the longer they go without blood (though their regenerative powers become weakened). Vampires of this bloodline cannot be turned by a single bite or a drain spell; instead the victim needs to be exsanguinated and then force-fed the blood of the sire. You can undergo this process in the quest Scion of the Blood Matron, during which you will meet Lamae Bal herself.
In terms of weaknesses, these vampires possess the common vulnerabilities to fire, sunlight and silver. However, for some unknown reasons, sunlight does not directly harm them, only spells that harness the sun do. It is possible that the merging of Coldharbour with Tamriel has had an effect on the sun, allowing them to move around unharmed; despite this they still only come out at night. Another theory, proposed by the author of Noxiphilic Sanguivoria, a book about this variant of the disease, the reason why these vampires are not harmed by daylight is because of a deal with Hircine. Instead of a weakness during the day, they are strengthened by the night. However, the author describes as just a wild theory.
For more information, see the lore page.
There are some vampire groups with known names, as well as unnamed covens based in particular areas. This is a list of named factions; for more groups, see the tables further down the page.
- The Black Forge — A Daedric ruin in eastern Coldharbour.
- The Orchard — A large cemetery in central Coldharbour, across the Chasm north of the Hollow City.
- Abandoned Homestead — An estate in southeastern Cyrodiil, south of Cropsford.
- Barren Cave — A cave in eastern Cyrodiil, east of Blue Road Keep.
- Belda — An Ayleid ruin in eastern Cyrodiil, north of Blue Road Keep.
- Lipsand Tarn — An Ayleid ruin in northwestern Cyrodiil, north of Fort Rayles containing vampires.
- Underpall Cave — A cave in northern Cyrodiil, northwest of Fort Aleswell containing vampires.
- Darkwater Crossing — A small Argonian settlement east of Fort Amol in southern Eastmarch.
- Ratmaster's Prowl — A place in Eastmarch.
- Wittestadr — A small settlement in central Eastmarch, south of Windhelm.
- Shademist Enclave — Swamps in southwestern Greenshade, southeast of Woodhearth.
- Shademist Moors — Swamps in southwestern Greenshade, southeast of Woodhearth.
- Camp Tamrith — A camp in southwestern Rivenspire, south-southwest of Shornhelm.
- Crestshade — A village in western Rivenspire, west of Shornhelm.
- The Doomcrag — An Ayleid tower located in northwestern Rivenspire, northwest of Shornhelm.
- Fevered Mews — A cave system in the hillside behind Shornhelm.
- Hildune's Secret Refuge — A cave in northeastern Rivenspire, west of Northpoint containing Montclair soldiers.
- Hinault Farm — A farm in southern Rivenspire, south of Shornhelm.
- Moira's Hope — A small town in southern Rivenspire, southeast of Shornhelm.
- Northpoint — The primary city of House Dorell, located in northeastern Rivenspire.
- Ravenwatch Castle — A castle in northwest Rivenspire, northwest of Shornhelm.
- Shornhelm — The capital city of Rivenspire, located in the center of the region.
- Ashalmawia — A delve found in the West Gash region of Vvardenfell containing Worm cultists.
- Dushariran — A Daedric ruin found in the West Gash region of Vvardenfell, north of the Randas Ancestral Tomb.
- Galom Daeus — An abandoned Dwemer ruin found in the Molag Amur region of Vvardenfell.
- Abah's Landing — A major settlement on the east coast of Hew's Bane.
- Chill House — An abandoned shack in southern Glenumbra, south of the Wyrd Tree.
- Coldrock Diggings — A mine in the northern Alik'r Desert, southeast of Tava's Blessing containing vampires.
- Dark Anchors
- Dragonstar Arena — A group-based arena in Upper Craglorn.
- The Earth Forge — A secret Dwemer ruin in the mountains which is maintained by the Fighters Guild.
- Faltonia's Mine — An abandoned mine south of Redfur Trading Post in northwestern Grahtwood.
- Fharun Stronghold — An Orc stronghold found along the coast in northern Wrothgar.
- Goldfolly — A ruin in northwestern Grahtwood, south of the Redfur Trading Post.
- Hammerdeath Arena — A combat arena to the northwest of Wayrest in Stormhaven.
- Hrota Cave — A cave located just north of Anvil containing wispmothers and undead.
- Leki's Blade — A small town in the central Alik'r Desert, south of Tava's Blessing.
- Lillandril — A town found in the northwest part of Summerset.
- Molavar — An Ayleid ruin located west of Elinhir in Lower Craglorn containing undead.
- Ondil — An Aldmeri ruin in the center of Auridon, just south of the town of Mathiisen containing bloodthralls and skeevers.
- Phaer — A small town in the center of Auridon, just south of the town of Mathiisen.
- Rubble Butte — A ruin in western Bangkorai, north of Hallin's Stand containing undead and disloyal nobles.
- Saltbreeze Cave — A coral cave found on Summerset.
- Shrine of the Black Maw — An Ayleid ruin in northwestern Shadowfen, west-northwest of Stormhold containing vampires.
- Skyreach Catacombs — An ancient Nedic crypt located in Upper Craglorn, southeast of Dragonstar.
- Spindleclutch II — A group dungeon found in northern Glenumbra.
- Tal'Deic Fortress — An Ebonheart Pact military outpost in eastern Deshaan, just northwest of the town of Silent Mire.
- Tribune's Folly — An excavated Imperial ruin found east of Anvil.
- Ushmal's Rest — A graveyard in northern Reaper's March, just north of Pa'alat.
- Velyn Harbor — A large port town in western Malabal Tor, north of the Greenshade gate.
- Vile Drainage — A section of the Daggerfall Covenant branch of the Imperial Sewers.
- White Rose Prison — A fort in western Shadowfen, west of the Hatching Pools.
- The Worm's Retreat — A Worm Cult base located beneath Vulkhel Guard, Daggerfall and Davon's Watch.
- Bath Time: Recover some bath salts for bathers in the hot springs.
- The Better of Two Evils: Choose to aid either Valeric's coven or Majorn's bloodfiends.
- Lifeline: Search the Frostwater Tundra for the components for the Ternion's ritual.
- A Right to Live: Make a cure for vampirism for a young Argonian.
- Lost in the Mist: Search for a Bosmer's missing wife.
- Mist and Shadow: Investigate the mysterious mist in Shademist Moors.
- The Blood-Cursed Town: Help free a cursed village.
- The Blood-Splattered Shield: Help House Tamrith and the Crestshade refugees in Eyebright Feld.
- A Dagger to the Heart: End the Montclair threat for good.
- Dream-Walk Into Darkness: Discover the true nature of the threat to Rivenspire.
- Hope Lost: Help the people of Moira's Hope.
- In the Doghouse: Help find a missing husband.
- The Last of Them: Help hunt down the last remaining vampires in Northpoint.
- Last Words: Help end a reluctant vampire.
- The Liberation of Northpoint: Free Northpoint from the control of House Montclair.
- The Lightless Remnant: Strike down the traitor and restore peace to Rivenspire.
- Love Lost: Tell a grieving husband of his wife's fate.
- Shornhelm Divided: Help reunify the city of Shornhelm.
- A Spy in Shornhelm: Discover the Montclair spy in Shornhelm.
- Under Siege: Help rescue a contingent of Shornhelm soldiers.
- Abominations: Burn the bodies of two Weynon villagers before they rise as vampires.
- Blood Hunt: Clear out the vampires in Goldfolly.
- Blood Relations: Rescue Sud-Hareem's son At'avar from a powerful vampire.
- Chasing Shadows: Locate the agent of evil lurking in a nearby city.
- Divine Intervention: Help the clockwork mage create a tonal inverter to counteract the power of Sunna'rah.
- The First Patient: Help discover the source of a terrible disease.
- Heist: Glittering Grotto: Appropriate some rare gems hidden inside the Glittering Grotto.
- The Harvest Heart: Eliminate or ally with the enslaved vampires of the Orchard.
- Master of Leki's Blade: Investigate the shadow hanging over Leki's Blade.
- Murder In Lillandril: Investigate a murder in Lillandril.
- Plague of Phaer: Help distribute the treatment for a terrible disease.
- Pledge: Spindleclutch II: Explore Spindleclutch II and return Undaunted.
- Relics of Dushariran: Help recover historical relics from a Daedric ruin.
- Scion of the Blood Matron: Enter the crypt of Lamae Bal to become a vampire.
- Souls of the Betrayed: Investigate a claim of necromancy and disturbed undead in Upper Craglorn.
- To Save a Chief: Embark on a secretive rescue mission for the High Priestess.
- The Vampire's Prey: Drive the vampires out of Hrota Cave.
- Aldmeri Court Transcript by Seventh Court of Aldmeri Justice — A Thalmor document outlining the crimes and punishment of a vampire
- Aldimion's Journal by Aldimion — Journal of a vampire's encounter with the Worm Cult
- Aluvus' Notes by Aluvus — Notes of a vampire
- Aluvus' Further Notes by Aluvus — More notes of a vampire
- Aluvus' Final Notes by Aluvus — The last notes of a vampire
- Bangkorai, Shield of High Rock by King Eamond — King Eamond's Final Address to His Troops
- Blasphemous Revenants — A call for the destruction of all vampires and those who follow them!
- Bloodfiends of Rivenspire by Nalana, Advisor to House Tamrith — A report on the vampiric Bloodfiends of Rivenspire
- Book of Bloodfiends — A guide to dealing with bloodfiends and how to distinguish them from vampires
- A Child's Tamriel Bestiary by Shane gro-Orath (Clever, no? Ha, ha!) — A children's rhyming alphabet book
- Civility and Etiquette V. 5: Undead by Coristir — An Altmer guidebook outlining the correct social protocols when dealing with the undead
- Confessions of a Vampire Devotee — The confession of a prospective vampire
- Enthoras' Journal by Enthoras
- A Free Argonian's Manifesto — A paper denouncing slavery
- Immortal Blood by Anonymous — The tale of Movarth Piquine and his vampire hunting exploits
- The Interment of Feremuzh — A tale surrounding the hunting of a vampire
- Letter to Reezal-Jul by Baron Wylon Montclair — A letter outlining a House Montclair plot to take Shornhelm
- The Living Flesh by Reezal-Jul
- The Locked Room by Porbert Lyttumly — How a pupil outlocks her cruel picklock instructor
- The Martyrdom of Saint Pelin by Priestess Adie Rodeau — How a humble clergyman stopped an army of vampires
- Note on Torn Parchment — Scribblings from an ancient vampire recently awoken
- Noxiphilic Sanguivoria by Cinna Scholasticus — An overview of a vampirism strain common during the Second Era
- Ongoing Journal of Galur Rithari by Galur Rithari — An arminger's journal about his struggle with vampirism
- Opusculus Lamae Bal ta Mezzamortie by Mabei Aywenil, Scribe — A brief account of Lamae Bal and the Restless Death
- Reply from Reezal-Jul by Reezal-Jul — Correspondence regarding the sack of Shornhelm
- Rite of the Scion — An overview of pureblood vampires and their relationship with Lamae Bal
- The Spawn of Molag Bal — Brief description of Molag Bal and his relationship to Vampires
- Star Teeth, Volume I by Alanwe — A study on the nature of the Star Teeth
- Tancano's Journal by Tancano — Journal of a lonely, hungry vampire
- Tonight He Confessed — A confession from a pale lover
- Vampires and their Hunters — How to be a vampire hunter
- Volrina's Notes by Volrina Quarra