The Imperial City (also known as Cyrodiil City or simply Cyrodiil) is the capital of Cyrodiil and the whole of the Empire. The circular city is located on City Isle, an island in Lake Rumare in the Nibenay Valley at the center of the Imperial province. At the middle is the Green Emperor Way district, containing the Imperial Palace and its White-Gold Tower. Surrounding it are six districts, starting in the northeast and going clockwise:
Also on the island is the Arcane University, the Imperial Prison and the Waterfront, which is the harbor of the Imperial City. A single bridge connects the island to the mainland near Weye. Roads lead from the capital in all directions.
The Sewer SystemEdit
Underneath the Imperial City is a sewer system as large as the city itself. The sewers can be accessed from most districts of the city; there are also a few entrances outside of the city. The sewer system is a fairly complex maze. The east and west sections of the sewer do not connect to each other, but within those sections there are many interconnections.
Occasionally, when a person from the Imperial City tries to go a different district than they are already in, their AI will decide that going through the sewers is quicker than walking the streets; so they'll duck into the nearest house with a sewer entrance in the basement and travel underground, possibly putting themselves in danger from rats and Goblins.
The Eastern SewersEdit
The sewers that connect together on the east half of the city are (from north to south):
- The North Tunnel (accessed from the Imperial Sewers N. Exit).
- The Market Sewers (under the Market District).
- Beneath the Bloodworks (under the Arena District, but not accessible from there).
- The Palace Sewers.
- The South East Tunnel (under the Arboretum, and also accessible from the Imperial Sewers SE. Exit).
The Western SewersEdit
The sewers that connect together on the west half of the city are (from north to south):
- The Elven Garden Sewers (under the Elven Gardens District).
- This sewer system also contains Sunken Sewers and Sewer Waterworks.
- The Talos Plaza Sewers (under the Talos Plaza District).
- The Temple Sewers (under the Temple District, but not accessible from there).
- This sewer system also contains The South West Tunnel.
There is an additional unconnected piece of the sewer:
The Watch TowersEdit
The watch towers are the tall structures located in six "corners" of the city. They serve as a bunker for the Imperial Guards, many of which can be found sleeping at night on the towers' upper floors. This, of course, includes many essential and temporarily-essential guards. Such guards include Hieronymus Lex and Adamus Phillida, who become non-essential at the end of the Thieves Guild quest Taking Care of Lex and upon acceptance of the Dark Brotherhood quest Permanent Retirement, respectively.
There is a watch tower at each of six "corners" of the Imperial City. Their names make their locations rather self-explanatory.
|Name||Console Location Code||Connected Districts|
|Northwest Watch Tower||ICImperialLegionWatchTowerNW||Talos Plaza District, Elven Gardens District|
|North Watch Tower||ICImperialLegionWatchTowerN||Elven Gardens District, Market District|
|Northeast Watch Tower||ICImperialLegionWatchTowerNE||Market District, Arena District|
|Southeast Watch Tower||ICImperialLegionWatchTowerSE||Arena District, Imperial Arboretum|
|South Watch Tower||ICImperialLegionWatchTowerS||Imperial Arboretum, Temple District|
|Southwest Watch Tower||ICImperialLegionWatchTowerSW||Temple District, Talos Plaza District|
Quests Starting HereEdit
- Buy a house in the Imperial City: Get your foot on the property ladder with a rundown shack in a poor district.
- Imperial Corruption: One of the Imperial Guard captains in the Imperial City is corrupt.
- The Order of the Virtuous Blood: You are asked to help kill a Vampire.
- Origin of the Gray Prince: Agronak gro-Malog, the Imperial Arena Grand Champion asks you to find proof of his noble birthright.
- An Unexpected Voyage: The Bloated Float Inn has been hijacked by brigands while you slept!
- Unfriendly Competition: A newly opened shop run by Thoronir is selling goods below cost, causing big problems for the other merchants.
- Vampire Cure: A long quest to gain the cure for vampirism.
- Umbacano the Collector
- The Collector: Help Umbacano, a collector of ancient artifacts, recover the "Ten Ancestors", a set of ancient Ayleid statues.
- Nothing You Can Possess: Umbacano wants you to recover a decorative carving from the High Fane.
- Secrets of the Ayleids: Umbacano wants you to try to buy the Crown of Nenalata from a rival collector.
- The Arena - Join the Arena faction; fight for honor and Gold!
Mages Guild QuestsEdit
- A Mage's Staff: Complete your induction into the Mages Guild by creating your own staff.
- Ulterior Motives: Retrieve a book from the Count of Skingrad.
- Vahtacen's Secret: Find out how the Mages Guild's excavation of Vahtacen is faring.
- Necromancer's Moon: Find out about Black Soul Gems.
- Liberation or Apprehension: Locate a Necromancer informant and return him safely to the Arcane University.
- Information at a Price: Travel to Skingrad to receive information from Count Hassildor... at a price.
- A Plot Revealed: Travel to Bruma and find out why the Mages Guild there has stopped correspondence.
- The Necromancer's Amulet: Find the Necromancer's Amulet and return it to the Arcane University.
- The Bloodworm Helm: Find the Bloodworm Helm and return it to the Arcane University.
- Ambush: Oversee a contingent of Battlemages in their fight against the Necromancers and retrieve a unique Black Soul Gem from an old "friend".
- Confront the King: Find the King of Worms and end the Necromancers' attacks on the Mages Guild.
Thieves Guild QuestsEdit
- Finding the Thieves Guild: So you want to join the Thieves Guild? Don't you know it doesn't even exist?
- May the Best Thief Win: You want to join, but are you a good enough thief?
- Untaxing the Poor: Steal the tax records for the Waterfront residents.
- The Elven Maiden: Steal a statuette for a mystery buyer.
- Misdirection: Help the Thieves Guild get the waterfront back to normal.
- Taking Care of Lex: Get Hieronymus Lex reassigned.
- Boots of Springheel Jak: Find out where Springheel Jak is buried and retrieve a pair of magical boots for the Gray Fox.
- The Ultimate Heist: Steal an Elder Scroll for the Gray Fox, and for glory!
- It's possible to climb over the walls and out of the city. See this for details.