|# of Zones||2|
|# of Welkynd Stones||Variable|
|# of Varla Stones||Variable|
(1 boss-level Undead)
|1 Ancient Elven Helm
3 boss-level Ayleid Coffers
1 boss-level Ayleid Reliquary
|Console Location Code(s)|
|VahtacenExterior, Vahtacen, Vahtacen02|
|South of Cheydinhal, western shore of Reed River origin|
- Vahtacen's Secret: Find out how the Mages Guild's excavation of Vahtacen is faring.
- The map icon is that of a cave, rather than an Ayleid ruin. This is because the entrance to the dungeon looks like a normal cave, and there's a short access route through caverns to the actual Ayleid ruin part.
- Most of the ruin is inaccessible without a key you receive during the Vahtacen's Secret quest.
- Up to 15 Welkynd and Varla Stones can be found in total in this dungeon. They can be found in crates in the cave section of the dungeon, which is notable for being the only place where Welkynd and Varla Stones appear as random loot.
- The Song of Pelinal, v 4 describes how Pelinal Whitestrake and the slave queen Alessia released the prisoners held in Vahtacen by the Ayleids.
- Vahtacen also appears in ESO.
- The exterior is located at coordinates: Tamriel 30, 17
- This location's map marker (M on map) is named Vahtacen (editor name VahtacenMapMarker). The entrance door is SSW of the marker, 30 feet away.
- 0-1 Mud Crab is near the entrance
- 2 Wilderness Creatures (Valley variety) are near the entrance
- 1 Nirnroot is at location N on map
- The following plants can be found near the entrance: 25 Bergamot plants, 1 Flax plant, 13 Lavender plants, 17 Monkshood plants, 1 Nightshade plant, and 1 Primrose plant
Zone 1: VahtacenEdit
The first portion of this zone is a cave, and there is plenty of evidence of mining lying around, including pick-axes and crates. Head right after entering and loot the crate at F: it may contain Welkynd or Varla stones. Track back and head left, looting the three crates at F and G. You will then emerge in an Ayleid ruin; in the room you will find Skaleel (S), two bedrolls (b), a chest and copies of Magic from the Sky and The Wild Elves. Gate L requires a key, which you receive from Skaleel during the related quest.
Round the corridor you will find Denel, a crate (H) and a useful chest with plenty of scrolls at I. In the next room is the mysterious pillar (V), protected by four Dark Welkynd Stone traps (T). Along the walls are four Ayleid inscriptions (c, d, e and f) with useful information and another crate (G). Cast Fire Damage, Frost Damage, Damage Magicka and Fortify Magicka spells at the pillar to reveal the door at E.
When returning to the zone through door C, you will immediately face two enemies so be prepared. Set among two Ayleid swordman statues are four minor loot chests. As you approach, the walls at J and K will collapse, allowing you access to the rest of the zone.
- Denel (non-respawning) at location D on map
- Skaleel (non-respawning) at S
- 2 Ethereal Undead (dungeon-specific leveled list)
- 1 boss-level Ayleid Coffer (Undead variety) at location B on map
- 1 boss-level Ayleid Reliquary (Undead variety; locked) at B
- 1 A Battered Crate (may contain 1 magical Stone, 15% chance of appearing; non-respawning) at H
- 3 Ayleid Casks 01 (all locked)
- 1 Chest (contains 9 scrolls, including Elevate Magicka, Flare, and Sever Magicka; does respawn; locked) at I
- 2 Crates (each contains up to 4 magical stones, each 50% chance of appearing; each stone has 10% chance of being a Varla Stone for level 9 or higher characters, otherwise is a Welkynd Stone; non-respawning) at G
- 1 Restoration Ayleid Chest
- 2 Small Crates (each contains up to 3 magical stones, each 15% chance of appearing; non-respawning) at F
- The following books will always be found: 1 Magic from the Sky and 1 The Wild Elves
- 4 Dark Welkynd Stone traps at locations T on map
Doors and Gates:
- There are three doors in/out of this zone
- 1 door (at Out) leads outside
- 2 doors (at C and E) lead out of dungeon to Vahtacen Lorsel and Vahtacen Lorsel
- 1 Crumbling Wall at J
- 1 Gate at L (locked, key required, opened by Vahtacen Ruins Key)
- 1 Hidden Door at K
- Vahtacen's Pillar (needs to be opened to explore rest of ruin) at location V on map
- 2 bedrolls at b
Zone 2: Vahtacen LorselEdit
Be prepared when emerging from door E, as you will immediately face an undead enemy. The next room contains a chest, three dead skeletons, a pit spike trap (G) and four Dark Welkynd stone traps (F). Press on and loot the chest in the next corridor before pressing the nearby push block (cyan dot on map). This opens the stone walls at K, L and M, releasing two enemies. In the next room are three minor loot chests protected by a ceiling spike trap (P) and more Dark Welkynd stone traps (F).
Negotiate your way past the swinging blade traps at D and another enemy and you will find yourself in a large room with a raised platform at the center. The press block (cyan dot on map) will raise the stone steps at O and cause three enemies to appear. Fight them off and head up the stairs to the southeast. The boss-level undead (A) protects the press block opening the casing at Q, which contains the Ancient Elven Helm. The hidden door at I will also open, so head through and loot the two boss chests at B. Rather than pressing on, head back to the northwestern corner, unlock gate H and return to the previous zone through door C.
Following the related quest, you will find two enemies in the large room and won't be able to open the hidden door at I.
- 1 boss-level Undead (non-respawning) at location A on map
- 5 Ethereal Undead (dungeon-specific leveled list)
- 3 Undead (dungeon-specific leveled list, 2 levels lower than standard, always best possible level; non-respawning)
- 1 Ancient Elven Helm (quest target; enclosed in a cage) at location Q on map
- 2 boss-level Ayleid Coffers (Undead variety; both locked) at B
- 2 Ayleid Casks 01
- 3 Restoration Ayleid Chests
- 1 Spike Pit trap at location G on map
- 1 Ceiling Spikes trap at location P on map
- 8 Dark Welkynd Stone traps at F
- 3 Swinging Blade traps at D
Doors and Gates:
- There are two doors (at C and E) in/out of this zone, both leading to the zone Vahtacen
- 1 Gate at H (locked)
- 6 Hidden Doors at I, J, K, L, M, and N
- 2 Stone Steps (rise to form steps when activated) at locations O on map