|Home City||Imperial City, Arcane University|
|Available||9am-2am every day|
|Faction(s)||IC Citizens; Arcane University; Guild for Mages (Wizard )|
Borissean, a Redguard mage, is a Wizard of the Mages Guild who sells spells at the Arcane University. He and his associate, Gaspar Stegine are widely considered as the most powerful mages in Cyrodiil, since most of their spells are unique and Master-level.
He has a very simple schedule: he sleeps from 2am to 9am in the upper floor of the University's Praxographical Center and then heads downstairs where he spends the rest of the day standing still on the north edge of the Mages Guild symbol in the center of the floor, offering his spells for sale. The only change to this schedule is during the Light the Dragonfires quest, when he and all other Imperial City residents are confined indoors.
He wears upper-class attire consisting of a black & burgundy outfit and a pair of gold trimmed shoes. His only other possession is a leveled amount of gold. He doesn't wield any weapons, relying instead on a set of higher level spells from all of the magical schools. These are also the same spells that you can buy cheaply off him, since his Mercantile is a mere 13. He will always offer his services when not sleeping.
The first time you meet him, Borissean will greet you by saying: "Borissean. Master Spellmaker for the Mages Guild. Guildsmen, only, of course." When you ask him about the Imperial City, he will reveal that he's quite unsocial and prefers his life in the University: "What? There's a city out there? You don't say. What good is it, eh? Dirt. Horses. Idiots. Be my guest." He will also give you a bit of background on himself and his partner, Gaspar Stegine: "Gaspar and I have learned a great many spells over the years. Once you've learned them, you can use the knowledge to create your own."
Other spellcasters support Borissean's high opinion of himself. Vigge the Cautious in Skingrad will tell you that: "Between the two of them, Borissean and Gaspar have mastered nearly every type of spell there is. You'd be wise to go see them if you can", while Trayvond the Redguard in the Cheydinhal guild hall will say: "If you're looking for the most powerful spells, you'll want to speak to Borissean at the Arcane University. If you're allowed in, that is."
He sells the following spells:
|Beast of Burden||Master||422||Feather 250pts for 360sec on Self|
|Summon Gloom Wraith**||Master||650||Summon Gloom Wraith for 25sec on Self|
|Summon Lich**||Master||700||Summon Lich for 20sec on Self|
|Summon Xivilai**||Master||600||Summon Xivilai for 30sec on Self|
|Electrocution||Master||479||Shock Damage 110pts on Target|
|Flame Tempest||Master||635||Fire Damage 75pts in 15ft on Target|
|Immolating Blast||Master||461||Fire Damage 110pts on Target|
|Legendary Magicka Drain*||Master||495||Drain Magicka 120pts for 60sec on Touch|
|Dominating Touch||Journeyman||105||Command Creature up to level 6 for 30sec on Touch|
|Cloak*||Master||474||Chameleon 75% for 30sec on Self|
|Paralyze*||Master||475||Paralyze for 10sec on Touch|
|Silence||Master||405||Silence in 15ft for 20sec on Target|
|Legendary Dispel*||Master||422||Dispel 250pts on Self|
|Legendary Soul Trap*||Master||810||Soul Trap in 20ft for 60sec on Target|
|Legendary Spell Absorption*||Master||461||Spell Absorption 25pts for 25sec on Self|
|Movement Mastery*||Master||495||Telekinesis 40ft for 60sec on Target|
|Fortify Speed||Apprentice||42||Fortify Speed 5pts for 90sec on Self|
|Devour Health||Expert||179||Absorb Health 40pts on Touch|
|Heal Legendary Wounds||Master||466||Restore Health 30pts for 6sec on Self|
* Indicates spells which cannot be purchased from anyone else, though spells with the same effects at different magnitudes can be purchased elsewhere.
** Indicates spells with effects which cannot be purchased anywhere else.
- The magicka cost for most purchasable spells matches the value you would calculate from the Spell Cost equation. In other words, if you were to create the same spell at the Spellmaking Altar, it would have the same magicka cost as the purchasable spell. There are a few exceptions. Spells that are a bad deal, i.e. more expensive than a custom spell, are in red; spells that are a good deal are in green. The magicka cost if you were to create a custom spell at the Spellmaking Altar is shown in parentheses.
- The magicka cost for spells is dependent upon your skill in the school (as modified by Luck, see Magic Overview). The provided baseline values are the magicka cost when your skill level is 33. For other skill levels the magicka cost can be determined from:
Cost * (1.4 - 0.012 * Skill)
- More powerful spells cost more to buy, have a higher skill requirement, and consume more Magicka.
- Level indicates what skill level you must reach (or surpass) in order to use a spell. Skill Level 0-24 = Novice, 25-49 = Apprentice, 50-74 = Journeyman, 75-99 = Expert, 100 = Master.
- The base cost in gold that you must pay to purchase a spell is always three times the current magicka cost of the spell, taking into account your character's skill level and Luck. (The actual cost you pay is further increased based on how well you haggle with the merchant.) Therefore, if you have any Fortify Skill or Fortify Luck spells/potions handy, you can get significantly better deals when purchasing spells.