This article is about the hold. For the city, see Winterhold.
|Jarl's Residence||Jarl's Longhouse|
|Military Fort||Fort Kastav|
|Northeast part of Skyrim|
Winterhold is a hold in northeast Skyrim, with its capital in the city of Winterhold. It is initially affiliated with the Stormcloaks, but can be captured by the Imperials after completing Rescue from Fort Kastav.
Perhaps the most notable feature of Winterhold is the College of Winterhold, a fortress-like school for mages which was spared on a rocky outcropping even though the Great Collapse tore down most of the capital around it. All that remains of the once-great city are four still-standing buildings (and the collapsed remains of several others) near the entrance to the College.
Winterhold consists of snowy coasts and even snowier mountains. To the west and southwest is the Winterhold mountain range, which marks the border between Winterhold and the Pale, and some of the northern border with Eastmarch. Between the mountains and the sea to the east lies a tundra, where the elements have rendered the landscape barren and lifeless. Rock and ice shelves, and occasionally shingle beaches, form the barrier between Winterhold and the sea to the north and east. To the north the tundra stretches out into the Sea of Ghosts, forming one of the most inhospitable environments in Skyrim.
Flora and FaunaEdit
Not many plants or creatures can survive Winterhold's harsh continental climate, and the hold is generally devoid of life as a result. The only plants that make their home in the mountains are the snowberry bush and some blue mountain flowers. By the coast, Nordic barnacles, clams and spiky grass thrive. The area around the Wreck of the Winter War is known to be rich in fish and dragonflies and a large, isolated population of salmon can be found by the coast.
As for large fauna, only the hardiest of creatures make their home in Winterhold, such as wolves, ice wolves, snow bears, snowy sabre cats, and horkers. Occasionally, an unlucky traveler might also stumble upon an ice wraith, or worse, a wispmother.
Routes and PathwaysEdit
There is only one main road running through Winterhold. It originates as a branch of the Whiterun-Windhelm road. It runs northward through the eastern side of the hold right to the city of Winterhold. Another smaller and less used road runs from Winterhold to the ancient ruins of Saarthal.
All locations in Winterhold with individual map markers are listed. There are a few places without map markers listed for their significance.
- Winterhold — A city located on the northeastern tip of Skyrim.
- College of Winterhold — A school of the arcane arts.
Farms, Towns, and Settlements including Orc Strongholds and InnsEdit
- The Chill — The jail for Winterhold, located on an island north-northeast of the College of Winterhold and northeast of Septimus Signus's Outpost, across the sea.
- Japhet's Folly — Located on the small Rockjoint Island far northeast of Skyrim in the Sea of Ghosts, and is visited during the quest Rise in the East.
Camps, including Giant Camps and Military CampsEdit
- Winterhold Imperial Camp — An Imperial camp southeast of Dawnstar and north of Driftshade Refuge.
- Winterhold Stormcloak Camp — A Stormcloak camp located northeast of Windhelm, close to the White River.
- Bleakcoast Cave — A small cave southeast of Winterhold and directly east of the Shrine of Azura occupied by frost trolls.
- Hob's Fall Cave — A small cave on the coast between Winterhold and Dawnstar inhabited by leveled warlocks and skeletons.
- Septimus Signus's Outpost — A small cave on a small remote icy island off the north coast of Skyrim, where Septimus Signus has made his home.
- Sightless Pit — A medium-sized cave in Winterhold occupied by Falmer.
- Stillborn Cave — A small cave north-northwest of Windhelm, on the other side of the mountains from the city.
- Yngvild — A medium-sized cave on an island east-northeast of Dawnstar in the far northern reaches of Skyrim.
- Alftand — A large Dwarven ruin southwest of Winterhold.
- Blackreach — An immense, naturally lit cavern inhabited by hordes of Falmer and containing the ruins of a Dwemer city.
- Ironbind Barrow — A small Nordic ruin which contains a word wall for the Become Ethereal shout, and the tomb of a long dead warlord.
- Journeyman's Nook — A small outdoor Nordic ruin southeast of Winterhold.
- Saarthal — A medium-sized Nordic ruin southwest of Winterhold.
- Sightless Pit — A medium-sized cave in Winterhold occupied by Falmer.
- Skytemple Ruins — A small outdoor Nordic ruin north of the College of Winterhold.
- Snow Veil Sanctum — A medium-sized Nordic ruin north-northeast of Windhelm containing draugr.
- Yngol Barrow — A small Nordic ruin northeast of Windhelm on the south bank of the White River.
- Ysgramor's Tomb — A small Nordic ruin northwest of Winterhold containing Companion ghosts and frostbite spiders.
- The Serpent Stone — One of the thirteen Standing Stones scattered across Skyrim.
- Shrine of Azura — A statue dedicated to the Daedric Prince of dawn and dusk Azura.
- The Tower Stone — One of the thirteen Standing Stones scattered across Skyrim.
- Driftshade Refuge — A medium-sized fort located southeast of Dawnstar.
- Fort Fellhammer — A medium-sized fort and iron mine inhabited by bandits, south of Dawnstar.
- Fort Kastav — A medium-sized fort northwest of Windhelm on the main Whiterun-Winterhold road, initially occupied by warlocks and skeletons.
- Snowpoint Beacon — A small tower consisting of three floors, found in Winterhold, south-southwest of Driftshade Refuge and due east of Fort Fellhammer.
Landmarks, including Bodies of Water, Clearings, Ships and ShipwrecksEdit
- Frostflow Lighthouse — A lighthouse located west of Winterhold in the north of Skyrim.
- Great Lift at Alftand — A Dwarven lift to Blackreach located northeast of Nightgate Inn and southeast of Wayward Pass.
- Hela's Folly — A shipwreck northeast of Dawnstar.
- Pilgrim's Trench — A ship graveyard not far off of the northern coast of Skyrim.
- Sea of Ghosts — A vast ocean along the northern coast of Skyrim.
- Wayward Pass — A pass through the mountains in the southwest of Winterhold.
- Wreck of The Pride of Tel Vos — A shipwreck on a small island east of Winterhold.
- Wreck of the Winter War — A shipwreck east-southeast of Snow Veil Sanctum and far northeast of Windhelm.
All quests that are started in or are related to Winterhold (except for radiant quests begun in other holds) are listed here:
Imperial Legion Civil War QuestsEdit
- Reunification of Skyrim: Reunite Skyrim under the leadership of the Empire. (radiant)
- Rescue from Fort Kastav: Take Fort Kastav for the Imperials and rescue the prisoners within. (radiant)
Stormcloaks Civil War QuestsEdit
- Liberation of Skyrim: Drive the Imperials from Skyrim. (radiant)
- The Battle for Fort Kastav: Reclaim this fort for the Stormcloaks. (radiant)
- The Black Star: Help find and repair Azura's Star.
- Discerning the Transmundane: Uncover the secrets of the mysterious Dwemer lockbox.
College of Winterhold QuestsEdit
- All the College of Winterhold quests are related to Winterhold.
- Purity of Revenge: Retrieve the Fragments of Wuuthrad and wipe out the Silver Hand.
- Glory of the Dead: Cure Kodlak's spirit and become leader of the Companions.
Dark Brotherhood QuestsEdit
Thieves Guild QuestsEdit
- Speaking With Silence: Track down the Dunmer behind the Guild's misfortunes.
- Hard Answers: Help translate Gallus's journal.
- The Litany of Larceny: Find items for Delvin Mallory throughout the questline.
- No Stone Unturned: Find the 24 gems to restore the Crown of Barenziah.
- Toying With The Dead: Retrieve a necromancer's journals for an interested buyer.
- Seeking DisclosureDG: Bring the Elder Scrolls to Dexion.
- Scroll ScoutingDG: Obtain all three Elder Scrolls for Dexion Evicus.
- The Arms of ChaosCC: Complete a mage's quest to reassemble two powerful staves.
- Balance of PowerCC: Put a stop to two bandit gangs wielding strange otherworldly equipment.
- Creature of LegendCC: Track down and tame the last living Unicorn.
- The Lost LibraryCC: Locate a huge collection of powerful spell tomes.
- Swift as an ArrowCC: Learn how to craft and use Telekinesis Arrows.
In addition, many miscellaneous quests are located in Winterhold. They are listed here.