Skeevers are small, aggressive, rat-like animals that attack on sight. They may be encountered in dark areas, such as caves or dungeons, as well as in the wilderness of Skyrim. They are generally considered to be the weakest enemy in the game, although they often carry the disease Ataxia, which lowers your Lockpicking and Pickpocket skills. Skeever corpses may be looted for skeever tails to be used as ingredients in alchemy. Dead skeevers found roasting over fires yield charred skeever hide, but it is not possible to roast a skeever yourself.
With the installation of the Hearthfire add-on, you have the ability to create a skeever statue on a small base in the trophy room addition of any homestead, should you choose to build it. The materials needed are:
- The Venomfang Skeever is encountered during the Dampened Spirits quest in Honningbrew Basement.
- Skeevers may be present in the cellar addition to Hearthfire homes. Any NPCs that reside in your house may mention that they heard odd noises coming from the basement. One of these skeevers is sometimes non-aggressive and may be spared to become a pet.HF
- Adopted male children may also bring home and adopt a unique skeever, Biter.HF
- It is said by the owner of The Winking Skeever in Solitude that skeevers weren't always as large as they are now.
- A greater power named Polymorph Skeever exists in game data which would have allowed you to transform into a skeever. However, the power is bugged and not found in the game.