The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the fifth game in the Elder Scrolls series, takes place in the province of Skyrim 200 years after the Oblivion Crisis. Dragon Shouts play an integral role in the story as you discover your fate as the Last Dragonborn. Skyrim is available on PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation VR.
Skyrim Special Edition is a remastered version of the game for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. It uses an upgraded engine with many visual improvements but also has several important technical differences from the classic version of the game.
The ancient home of the Nords, Skyrim, teeters at the brink of destruction. With the death of High King Torygg, a civil war breaks out, with brothers slaying brothers across the province's frozen tundras and rocky crags. Many, especially Nords, wish to secede from the Empire, which has been in decline since the Oblivion Crisis. Many loyalists, on the other hand, prefer the unity and security provided by the Empire.
The Elder Scrolls foretell the return of Tamriel's primeval darkness, the Dragons, and the coming of a mortal born with the soul of a dragon, the Dovahkiin or "Dragonborn"—one who will have the power to permanently defeat his greatest foe and end the dark reign of the consumer of worlds: Alduin.
Your journey will be beset with peril. Just as remnants of the kingdom's shadow guardians, the Blades, will offer their aid, crafty agents of the Thalmor, seeking to advance their own cause, will impede your quest. Acquire knowledge and prove yourself Dragonborn, and the revered Greybeards will grant you an audience to learn of their ancient Draconic arts.
Now great adventurer, free yourself from bondage; take up blade or spell, bow or axe; fulfill your destiny or postpone it indefinitely.
Additional general game information can be found here.
- Attributes — What are the basic stats?
- Character Creation — A guide to the character creation process
- First Time Players — A guide to help new players come to grips with Skyrim
- Leveling — Understanding the character leveling system
- Races — The defining characteristics of the playable races
- Skills — And what can you do?
- Activities — Miscellaneous activities available during the game
- Artifacts — Unique and powerful items that can be found throughout Skyrim
- Combat — Information about combat in Skyrim
- Controls — A table of the various controls used to interact with the game, for all game platforms
- Crime — Information about the laws of Skyrim and how to stay on the right side of the authorities
- Disease — Diseases you can catch in Skyrim
- Items — Where to find specific items and their related attributes
- Magic — All you need to know about the arcane arts in Skyrim
- Dragon Shouts — How to use them and where to get them
- Making Money — Some tips and tricks aimed at helping you earn a few more septims
- Stealth — Information on the art of stealth and its uses
- Differences Between Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim — A guide containing the main differences between the three games, and useful tips for adapting
- Creatures — A bestiary of all the friendly and hostile creatures found in the game
- Factions — Listing of all the guilds and factions in the game, including the factions you can join
- Maps — Are you familiar with your whereabouts?
- NPCs — Listing of all non-player characters in the game
- People — Listing of all the named people in the game
- Places — Listing of all the places found in the game
- Services — A listing of all the services (general merchants, horse merchants, houses, trainers, etc.) provided in the game
Guides and Secrets
- Game Manual — The official game manual
- Prima Official Game Guide — The official Skyrim strategy guide
- In-Depth Guides — Various walkthroughs and tutorials to help get the most out of the game
- Hints — All sorts of gameplay hints to let you play the game in a more comprehensive way
- Easter Eggs — Funny, out of place, or reference-related non-bug findings
- Special Edition — A remastered version of Skyrim available on PC, Xbox One, and PS4.
- Technical Support — Hardware and system software issues and their practical solutions
- Console Versions
- PlayStation — Information specific to the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 versions of the game
- Xbox — Information specific to the Xbox 360 and Xbox One versions of the game
- Kinect Commands — Information specific to the Kinect, for the Xbox 360 version of the game
- Switch — Information specific to the Nintendo Switch version of the game
- Game Updates
Previews and Reviews
- Achievements — Awards you can receive for your efforts
- Credits — Details on exactly who did what to create the game
- Glitches — Different things you may have noticed about Skyrim that just weren't right
- Historical References — References to people, places and events from previous Elder Scrolls games
- Loading Screens — Information that appears while the game loads
- Music — Information about Skyrim's soundtrack
- Skyrim Very Special Edition — A voice-based text adventure game based on Skyrim
- Trading Cards — Steam Trading Cards you can obtain by playing the PC version
- Wallpapers — Official wallpapers, available in various sizes
- forums where you can discuss the game — A place on the UESP