This article is about the city. For the hold, see Whiterun Hold.
|Whiterun, in Whiterun Hold
( ) (lore page)
|Shops and Services
|Guilds and Temples
Whiterun is a major city in the center of Skyrim, and the capital of Whiterun Hold. Its central location makes it the province's major commercial hub, as well as a crucial strategic point in the Civil War between the Imperial Legion loyalists and Stormcloak rebels, as control of Whiterun Hold grants access to all surrounding lands. Whiterun is initially nominally aligned with the Empire, but Jarl Balgruuf the Greater seems to care more about the people of Whiterun than either side of the conflict, rendering the hold effectively neutral.
Whiterun comprises three districts arranged in tiers and connected by stairways. The Plains District is the lowest and contains the city's marketplace and shops, inns, a few homes, and the city gates. The Wind District is the main residential area; it features the Temple of Kynareth, Jorrvaskr, the ancient mead hall and headquarters of the Companions, and the Skyforge, worked by the greatest blacksmith in Skyrim, Eorlund Gray-Mane. The Cloud District is dominated by the government seat Dragonsreach and its dungeon, and is the highest point in Whiterun. Local businesses and services include the smithy and weapons shop Warmaiden's, the tavern and hunting supply store The Drunken Huntsman, Belethor's General Goods, the alchemy shop Arcadia's Cauldron, and The Bannered Mare inn. The Jarl's court wizard Farengar Secret-Fire has spells and enchanting supplies for sale and can teach you the basics of enchanting.
For more information on Whiterun, see the lore article.
* Only appears after Dragon Rising.
** Only appears after the Stormcloaks quest Battle for Whiterun.
*** Only appears after the Imperial Legion quest Message to Whiterun.
**** Owns Chillfurrow Farm but sleeps here.
† This person only sells goods at the market.
†† Backup innkeeper for Hulda; also backup merchant for Belethor.
- The Unofficial Skyrim Patch, version 1.2, fixes this bug.
Quests Starting HereEdit
- Before the Storm: Inform the Jarl of Whiterun about the dragon attack on Helgen.
- Bleak Falls Barrow: Retrieve the Dragonstone.
- Dragon Rising: Investigate a dragon sighting near Whiterun.
- The Way of the Voice: Meet the Greybeards.
- In My Time Of Need: Find a Redguard woman who is on the run from Hammerfell.
- Missing In Action: Rescue a missing Stormcloak supporter from the Thalmor.
- The Blessings of Nature: Restore the Gildergreen for Danica Pure-Spring.
- Battle of the ChampionsCC: A battle between two Civil War champions is about to begin.
- Beyond the GraveCC: Follow the trail of a set of valuable Daedric Plate armor.
- In the ShadowsCC: Save the Jarl of Whiterun from an assassination plot.
- Smith 'N SlashCC: Defeat an Orc blacksmith and her bandits to obtain an enchanted set of armor.
- When the Cat's AwayCC: Find a stash of silver armor.
|Greatsword for a Great Man: Adrianne asks you to deliver a sword to Proventus Avenicci, her father.
|Dungeon Delving: Do a favor by retrieving an item from a bandit hideout. (radiant)
|Hall of the Dead
|Andurs' Arkay Amulet: Retrieve Andurs' Amulet of Arkay from the catacombs.
|The Bannered Mare
|Argonian Ale Extraction: Brenuin longs for the taste of Argonian Ale. Can you steal some for him?
|Carlotta Valentia's House
|A Few Words with You: Do a favor by talking to someone about a problem. (radiant)
|Salt for Arcadia: Farengar asks you to deliver some frost salts to Arcadia.
|Bullying Braith: Convince Braith to stop bullying Lars.
|Thane of Whiterun: Gain the title of Thane of Whiterun. (radiant)
|Battle for Whiterun
|Rare Gifts: Do a favor by finding a rare item. (radiant)
- Breezehome is a house available for purchase after completion of the quest Bleak Falls Barrow. It may be purchased from Proventus Avenicci for 5,000 gold, as a reward for retrieving the Dragonstone for Jarl Balgruuf's court mage, Farengar Secret-Fire. If it is not purchased at this point, and Whiterun is conquered by the Stormcloaks, it may be purchased from Brill as a reward for helping the Stormcloaks conquer Whiterun.
- Unused data in the game files indicates at least six buildings were removed from Whiterun: Maiden-Loom Manor, Pathway Guard Tower, Shrine of Talos, Ulfberth's House, Whiterun Jail, and Wintersand Manor.
- There are approximately 220 alchemy ingredients freely available in Whiterun, with a respawn time of 30 days. These notably include 71 purple mountain flower, 41 blue mountain flower, 30 lavender, 23 tundra cotton, and 22 red mountain flower found throughout the city, as well as 14 nightshade in the graveyard outside the Hall of the Dead and 7 nordic barnacle and 1 bone meal in the pool outside Dragonsreach.
- Whiterun also appears in Arena.
- If you sprint as soon as you fast travel to Whiterun, the game may freeze.
- If Whiterun is taken by the Stormcloaks, two guards will spawn on the left side of the main gate instead of one on either side.
- The Unofficial Skyrim Patch, version 2.0.0, fixes this bug.
- It is possible to leave the city without using the main gate by jumping on a barrel and over a wall near the gate.
- Each white dot corresponds directly to a door. All doors are numbered and relate to a Key on the side of the map.