|To meet our site's higher standard of quality, this article or section may require cleanup. The user who placed this here had the following concern:
History section needs to be looked over, also King Jolie and his role in organizing an alliance to siege Orsinium and his role in betraying said alliance needs to be included into the First Era section.
To leave a message about the cleanup for this article, please add it to this article's .
This article is about the kingdom. For the city, see Daggerfall.
|Appears in||Arena, Daggerfall, ESO|
Daggerfall is one of the eight major kingdoms in the province of High Rock, located in the southwest portion of the province, on the north half of the Iliac Bay, named after its capital city, Daggerfall.
While all of the Iliac Bay region constantly jockeyed for power, two primary rivals for power emerged: Sentinel and Wayrest. At many times throughout history the conflict was merely economic. During times of peace, the nobility of Daggerfall and Wayrest were often known to vacation in Sentinel. The kingdom often cooperated with its neighbors throughout history to fight against Orcs and Orsinium.  Still, large and bloody wars with its neighbors were common throughout the first and second eras.
Daggerfall was founded a little before 1E 246 by invading Nords from Skyrim, who brought a rough sort of civilization with them during the Skyrim Conquests. Numerous legends exist for its name, including that the first chieftain threw a dagger and let the spot where it fell act as the border. Skyrim only maintained control for roughly a century before the War of Succession cost it all its holdings in other modern-day provinces. However, Daggerfall actually thrived under Skyrim's rule and thus had an advantageous position over its neighbors upon independence. The kingdom became a power center for the Direnni clan, but still continued to thrive after they lost power in High Rock. By 1E 609, under the rule of King Thagore, Daggerfall was already the preeminent economic, cultural, and military force in southern High Rock, and it remained so for millennia.
In 2E 541, Daggerfall was threatened by the Reachmen under Durcorach the Black Drake, whose army gathered in front of the city gates. However, the troops were attacked from behind by the army of Heavy Dragoons from Wayrest, who followed them aboard merchant ships. During the battle, Durcorach was slain by Emeric of Cumberland, and his banner was torn. This was a fatal blow to the Reachmen, and soon, the Knights of the Dragon under King Bergamot finished what the Dragoons had begun, scattering the remnants of Durcorach's army. Two weeks later, the kings of Daggerfall, Camlorn, Shornhelm, Wayrest, and Evermore signed the first Daggerfall Covenant. During the Ranser's War, King Folbert sent Daggerfall's troops to aid Wayrest.
In 3E 267, Daggerfall joined a large coalition of High Rock kingdoms to defeat Haymon Camoran, the Camoran Usurper. Espionage often took the place of open warfare - for example, a Breton assassin who nearly killed Queen Akorithi of Sentinel is widely thought to have been an agent of Daggerfall.
One of the more recent conflicts was the War of Betony: King Lysandus of Daggerfall led his armies to victory in several major battles against Sentinel, purportedly with the help of a Direnni sorceress. Lysandus, wanting to retire from politics, hoaxed his own death during the battle; his son Gothryd took command and killed King Camaron of Sentinel (Akorithi's husband) in single combat, ending the war with victory for Daggerfall. Lysandus was later assassinated, and his troubled spirit began to haunt the city of Daggerfall. This haunting played a major role in the events leading up to the Warp in the West, when Emperor Uriel Septim VII sent an agent to put the ghost to rest.
Shortly before the Warp in the West, Daggerfall was bordered by Tulune, Glenpoint, and the Ilessan Hills to the north, and Shalgora to the east. The Vraseth clan was the dominant vampire bloodline in the region.
The spoils of the War of Betony paled in comparison to the influence the Warp in the West brought to Daggerfall: when the dust settled, King Gothryd and his wife Queen Aubk-i controlled all of western High Rock, their only opponents remaining in the Iliac Bay region being Sentinel, Wayrest, and Orsinium. All four kingdoms pledged allegiance to the Empire.
Notable city-states and regions that are part of the Kingdom of Daggerfall are:
- Castle Necromoghan
- A keep financed and used by the Dowager-Queen, Mynisera as a getaway from the castle.
- The capital city of the region, generally located on the southern coast of the kingdom.
- Privateer's Hold
- A dungeon in the northwest corner of Daggerfall near Tulune. An Agent of the Blades landed here after a terrible storm.
- Unnamed Island
- An island located southwest of the capital city, between the mainland and Betony.
- Clan Direnni
- Unknown Dynasty
- Deleyn Dynasty
- King Donel Deleyn (2E 342 - 2E 401)
- King Anton I (2E 401 - 2E 450)
- King Maxevian (around 2E 434 and 2E 458)[nb 3]
- Queen Donella (sometime between 2E 450 and 2E 515)
- King Anton II (sometime between 2E 450 and 2E 515)
- King Bergamot (around 2E 515)
- King Folbert the Wide (around 2E 567)
- King Casimir (around 2E 582)
- Unknown Dynasty
- Etiquette With Rulers — Erystera Ligen
- Map of High Rock – The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- A History of Daggerfall — Odiva Gallwood
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Hammerfell — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: The Wild Regions — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: Orsinium — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Pig Children — Tyston Bane
- The War of Betony — Vulper Newgate
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Skyrim — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Triumphs of a Monarch — His Majesty King Emeric
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: High Rock — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
- Events of ESO
- The Fall of the Usurper — Palaux Illthre
- Words and Philosophy
- De Rerum Dirennis — Vorian Direnni
- The Daggerfall Chronicles Narrative
- Events of Daggerfall
- Map of Iliac Bay
- The Warp in the West — Ulvius Tero
- Elven Artifacts vIII — Ith-Mok
- King Edward, Part I
- From The Memory Stone of Makela Leki — Makela Leki
- Journal of Magiul Shiana — Magiul Shiana
- King Maxevian's Orders — King Maxevian
- Letter to King Maxevian — Captain Orrent Retene
- The Wolf Queen — Waughin Jarth
- The Fall of the Usurper — Palaux Illthre
- Daggerfall manual
- Events of Arena
- The Daggerfall Chronicles/Narrative