This article is about the city. For the kingdom, see Daggerfall (kingdom).
|Appears in||Arena, Daggerfall, ESO|
Daggerfall is the largest city in Glenumbra, located at the southwestern end of the peninsula. It is the capital of the kingdom of Daggerfall. The order Knights of the Dragon have the official duty of protecting the city and royal family of Daggerfall. The last census, in 3E 401, lists the population at over 110,000.
Daggerfall was founded a little before 1E 246 by invading Nords from Skyrim, who brought a rough sort of civilization with them during the Skyrim Conquests. Numerous legends exist for its name, including that the first chieftain threw a dagger and let the spot where it fell act as the border. Skyrim only maintained control for roughly a century before the War of Succession cost it all its holdings in other modern-day provinces. However, Daggerfall actually thrived under Skyrim's rule and thus had an advantageous position over its neighbors upon independence.
In 2E 541, Daggerfall was threatened by the Reachmen under Durcorach the Black Drake, whose army gathered in front of the city gates. However, the troops were attacked from behind by the army of Heavy Dragoons from Wayrest, who followed them aboard merchant ships. During the battle, Durcorach was slain by Emeric of Cumberland, and his banner was torn. This was a fatal blow to the Reachmen, and soon, the Knights of the Dragon under King Bergamot finished what the Dragoons had begun, scattering the remnants of Durcorach's army. Two weeks later, the kings of Daggerfall, Camlorn, Shornhelm, Wayrest and Evermore signed the first Daggerfall Covenant.
In the late Third Era in 3E 405, after King Lysandus was assassinated, his troubled spirit began to haunt the city of Daggerfall. This haunting played a major role in the events leading up to the Warp in the West, when Emperor Uriel Septim VII sent an agent to put the ghost to rest.
The people of Daggerfall are said to be obsessed with their own past. The culture of the land reflects its history: they believe in a strong military presence and enjoy covert activities, but are traders first and foremost. Perhaps because of these influences, Daggerfall hosts a robust black market, including skooma smuggling, which supplies destinations as far away as Morrowind, and an ambitious Thieves Guild. A sophisticated banking industry is also well-established.
Daggerfall Mage in Legends
- Arena was originally conceived as a fighting game featuring a tournament that took the player to each of Tamriel's cities to challenge different gladiatorial teams. According to a file from that stage of development left behind in the final game, Daggerfall's gladiatorial team would have been called "the Guardians".[UOL 1]
- A History of Daggerfall — Odiva Gallwood
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Skyrim — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Triumphs of a Monarch — His Majesty King Emeric
- Events of ESO
- Daggerfall location and rumors in Arena
- The Daggerfall Chronicles Narrative
- Wayrest, Jewel Of The Bay — Sathyr Longleat
- Cap'n Dugal's Journal, Part 1 — Captain Torradan ap Dugal
- Banker's Bet — Porbert Lyttumly
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.