|# of Zones
|Never (storage is safe)
|Bandits, Imperial Legion Soldiers, Stormcloak Soldiers
|Console Location Code(s)
|Near the southern border with Cyrodiil, north of Pale Pass
It is the location where you begin the game, as you are transported there to be executed. Largely run by the military, the town is dotted with military towers and buildings. Shortly after your arrival, the town comes under attack by the ancient dragon Alduin, and you are forced to escape through Helgen Keep.
- During the introductory cinematic prior to the initial quest Unbound, Ralof remembers Vilod, who used to make mead with juniper berries. If you later return to Helgen, bottles of this mead may be found on the second floor of Helgen Homestead, the partly destroyed inn you jumped into during Unbound.
- Helgen is the default destination for bad AI targets, meaning that bugged NPCs may end up wandering nearby.
- Approximately halfway down the road to Pinewatch, a small group of bandits has set up camp under an overhanging ledge. The only notable items among their belongings are a novice-locked chest and a copy of the Light Armor skill book The Refugees.
- The mead with juniper berries isn't properly enabled during your arrival and will only appear upon your later return to Helgen.
- The Unofficial Skyrim Patch, version 1.2.1, fixes this bug.
- Vilod and Matlara are left alive after the dragon attack and can be seen wandering Helgen after its destruction.
- The Unofficial Skyrim Patch, version 1.3.3, fixes this bug.
- Bandits, containers, and items don't have their encounter zone set and will respawn despite being in a "no reset" zone.
- The Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch, version 4.0.8, fixes this bug.