|House||The Bannered Mare|
|Primary Skills||Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing, Archery, Light Armor, One-handed, Sneak, Speech|
|Faction(s)||BardSingerFaction; CrimeFactionWhiterun; JobBardFaction; TownWhiterunFaction; Whiterun Bannered Mare Faction|
Mikael is a Nord bard performing at the Bannered Mare, and the author of A Gentleman's Guide to Whiterun. He believes himself to be quite enthralling to women and will remark: "Once Mikael gets them, they're got." He spends all his time at the inn, alternating between playing his instruments and chatting to any women present, whether they are single or married. His parting advice is that, "Women love sonnets." If your character is female, upon leaving a conversation he'll say, "It's the leaving that's hardest, I know."
When asked where he learned his trade, he explains that he studied at the Bards College, but had to leave due to a 'misunderstanding' with a headmistress and her husband. He is on friendly terms with his current employer, Hulda, and is also Ysolda's .
He is attempting to conquer Carlotta Valentia romantically, though she has no interest in him. The player can help Carlotta out by persuading, bribing, or intimidating Mikael to convince him to abandon his pursuit of her, or by defeating him in a brawl. Killing him will cause the quest to fail and Carlotta will not talk about him again. It is not possible to help Mikael woo Carlotta.
- "If it's a lady you're looking for, you'd best look elsewhere. Once Mikael gets them, they're got."
- "I'm a bard by trade. Perhaps you've heard of me?"
- "I don't have much of a reputation in Skyrim yet, but I'm working on that, one sweet lady at a time. Haha!"
- "No doubt they still tell tales of Mikael and his sweet songs across Cyrodiil, where last I traveled."
- "I enjoy steady patronage in the Bannered Mare. I do hope you'll watch me perform."
- "There was a great battle here in Whiterun. It was quite thrilling! I must compose a song about it someday."
When spoken to:
- Where'd you learn to play?
- "There's a whole college up in Solitude where they teach the arts. Song. Lute-playing. Poetry. I studied there myself. Had to leave over a misunderstanding with a headmistress. Well, more a misunderstanding with her husband."
- Give me the latest gossip.
- "The Companions? In Jorrvaskr? They're recruiting new members, from what I hear."
- "I assume you saw the Gildergreen? Big tree, all burnt up, in the middle of the Wind District. It's part of the Temple of Kynareth. People want Danica to do something about it, but I don't know what they expect."
- "Been hearing some strange tales of the Jarl's children. Say the one's turning wicked, and the others have an ill-favored look to them. Best to keep clear."
Mikael may talk with Hulda. They will choose between random lines:
|Hulda||"So Mikael, what'll it be tonight, hmm? Something upbeat? A Breton jig maybe?"|
|"Mikael, son. How about something with a bit o' kick?"|
|Mikael||"Well, I was thinking maybe something mournful. A High Elf dirge, perhaps? These are rather trying times, after all."|
|"You know, Hulda, there's this lovely Argonian ballad I've been studying..."|
|Hulda||"You trying to scare off my customers, son? Lively! Keep it lively!"|
|"We've been down this road before, Mikael. Save the sap and sadness for your lady friends. My patrons need life! Cheeriness!"|
|Mikael||"Hmm... Yes, you do raise a good point. What about the 'Sweet Maidenfair from Hadleyshire'?"|
|"Alright, alright... Um... How about 'The Guttersnipe'?"|
|Hulda||"I think 'Seven Septims for Sigurd' will do nicely. Especially when they're in their cups."|
|"Well, that's not bad. But I was thinking 'Mogo's Mead' really gets the place moving."|
|Mikael||"Well then, consider it done."|
|"Ah! An excellent suggestion. I'll do that one, then."|
A Few Words with YouEdit
- You need to leave Carlotta alone.
- "Carlotta put you up to this, didn't she? I'm sorry, but that fiery widow is mine. She just doesn't know it yet."
|She's not yours. Stop this nonsense.
|Passed: "Maybe you're right. I guess I just didn't want anyone to think I couldn't handle one Nord lass. On my honor, I won't bother Carlotta ever again."
Failed: "What did you just say? All I heard was the sound of jealousy."
|Passed: Return to Carlotta
|Maybe we can come to an understanding.
|Passed: "Bribing me? Well, a bard does need to eat. On my ancestor's honor, I won't trouble sweet Carlotta again."
Failed: "I don't think so."
|Passed: Return to Carlotta
|Leave her alone, or else.
|Passed: "Whoa. Hey there. I didn't mean to make you upset. On my honor, Carlotta won't have to worry about me again."
Brawl: (Start a brawl)
|Passed: Return to Carlotta
|Fine. Forget I asked.||"Already have."||Nothing|
- Depending on your dialogue choices during A Few Words with You, you may hear Mikael refer to Carlotta Valentia as a "Nord lass", though she is in fact an Imperial.
- Jon Battle-Born will sometimes say "But Mikael... He sings only for gold and the affections of wenches. He dishonors our traditions." However, Mikael plays songs for free, regardless of gender.
- A Gentleman's Guide to Whiterun states that he is an Imperial and that Adrianne Avenicci is a Nord, which is the wrong way around.
- This issue has been addressed by version 1.2.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; it has modified the text to reflect that Mikael is not actually an Imperial, along with other changes.
- He goes to the wrong kitchen wing upstairs bed, as he doesn't own that bed.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.