This is a radiant quest which you can receive from any of the following people.
|Quest Giver||Quest Giver Home||Dialogue Trigger||Additional Benefit †|
|Benor||Guardhouse (Morthal)||"Best Warrior in Morthal, huh?"||Marry, Follower, Blades|
|Chief Burguk||Burguk's Longhouse, Dushnikh Yal (The Reach)||"Any work to be done in the stronghold?"||Master Trainer in One-handed|
|Chief Larak||Larak's Longhouse, Mor Khazgur (The Reach)||"Any work to be done in the stronghold?"||Master Trainer in Block|
|Chief Mauhulakh||Mauhulakh's Longhouse, Narzulbur (Eastmarch)||"Any work to be done in the stronghold?"|
|Cosnach||The Warrens (Markarth)||"You say something about a bet?"||Marry, Follower, Blades|
|Rolff Stone-Fist||Candlehearth Hall (Windhelm)||"I don't like your attitude."|
|Uthgerd the Unbroken||Uthgerd's House (Whiterun)||"You think you can take me on?"||Marry, Follower, Blades, StewardHF|
Note: This quest does not appear in your journal.
- Speak to the quest giver.
- Challenge them to a brawl.
- Win the brawl.
- Speak to them again.
If you talk to one of the quest givers they will eventually challenge you to a brawl. The dialogue and circumstances vary from person to person and are listed in the table above. Accepting the challenge means that you place a 100 gold bet on the outcome. You must then brawl them and win. Standard brawling rules apply and use of things such as hostile magic, shouts, and weapons will instantly change it from a brawl to a criminal assault.
Brawling should be relatively easy if you're wearing any armor and have gained at least a few levels. Only low level players on higher difficulties may have issues with winning a brawl. If you are having problems, use some potions and spells with lingering effects and don't forget about racial powers. It may be of use as well to read more in-depth information on unarmed combat. You do not gain any experience from the unarmed combat during a brawl, although you may gain experience in armor skills.
You can only win a brawl with any given person once. If you lose the brawl, you will not get your money back, although you will be able to get a rematch.
100 gold for winning the brawl (plus your money back).
- Because this is a favor quest which affects the quest giver's disposition, it will count towards the "Help the People" part of the thane quest for the quest giver's hold (with the exception of quest givers who live in Orc strongholds).
- Winning the brawl will raise the disposition of the challenger. This will allow you to take low-value items they own, and they may become available as followers or potential marriage partners. See individual NPC pages for details.
- There are other quests that simply involve brawling such as Bloody Nose that are in fact separate from this one despite being nearly identical in nature.
- Wearing the Ebony Mail or using a cloaking spell will also count as assault. However, using Ahzidal's Armor of RetributionDB does not.
- When you engage in a brawl, viewing NPCs become immersed and tend to run around the fight. This can be quite annoying, as they can potentially run between you and your combatant which can lead you to accidentally punching one of the excited onlookers, which counts as an assault.
- Although your opponent may say "No magic," you can, in fact, use magic on yourself, such as healing, wards, or armor spells. However, using spells on your opponent, even beneficial spells like Healing Hands, will count as assault and add to your bounty.
- You can use the shield bash to "punch" your opponent.
- Sometimes your opponent may draw their weapon and attack you like in a normal fight. In this case, your only options are to yield or kill them (except Rolff, who is essential), and it is unlikely you will be able to properly complete the quest even if you try again.
- A known issue with no clear-cut fix or cause is that occasionally the option to enact a brawl with a listed NPC does not show. This bug does link with the inability to begin radiant quests with NPCs in that the issue seems to affect all similar quests on that save (can be occurrent on multiple saves at once.
- All of the quest stages are empty: 0, 10, 20, 200.