Wander around Whiterun and you may hear Lars Battle-Born being picked on by Braith. Speak to Lars and he'll explain that he's being bullied. He'll also offer you his life savings to deal with the problem: "Yes. Braith bullies me all the time. All the elders think I'm a milk drinker 'cause I can't fight. Nobody understands. If you can get Braith to leave me alone, I'll be your best friend... forever! I'll pay you, too! My whole life's savings - two septims!"
Beat Senseless... By a Girl, no Less!Edit
Others will take notice of the boy's distress, and try to speak to Lars, who will be unforthcoming, including Bergritte, who suggests her grandson go play outside:
Bergritte: "Lars, dear, why don't you go outside and play? It's a beautiful day."
Lars: "That's all right, grandmother. I like staying home with you."
Bergritte: "It's that Braith girl again, isn't it? Has she been bothering you again? I've a mind to speak with her mother."
Lars: "No! Please, grandmother, don't do that. I'm fine. Really. Can we just... not talk about this anymore?"
Bergritte: "All right, dear."
Lars' no-nonsense mother, Alfhild Battle-Born, will take a much harder tone, saying: "My boy Lars has been getting beat senseless, and by a girl, no less!"
It seems that these aren't exaggerations - Braith is a child with a serious chip on her shoulder, as illustrated by her treatment of her unfortunate target:
|Speaker||Conversation 1||Conversation 2||Conversation 3|
|Lars||"Braith. I.... I've come to tell you that I'm not afraid of you anymore."||(none)||(none)|
|Braith||"Don't make me laugh, baby Battle-Born. You'll be afraid of me till the day I kill you."||"Battle-Born! Give me your money!"||"Oh look, it's little baby Battle-Born."|
|Lars||"You... You're wrong! You can't hurt me anymore..."||"I... I don't have any money."||"Leave me alone, Braith..."|
|Braith||"Oh no? So you're gonna fight back if I punch you? Huh? You're gonna hit a girl?"||"You'd better give me five septims, right now, or I'm going to bloody your nose..."||"What are you gonna do if I don't? Huh? Gonna cry to your papa?"|
|Lars||"Well, no... I... I mean..."||"No! Please! I really don't have any money, Braith! I'll give you ten septims tomorrow. Just don't hit me."||"Just go away!"|
|Braith||"That's what I thought. Now get out of my way, baby. I got things to do."||"Ten septims tomorrow, baby Battle-Born. Or I'm gonna bloody your nose and your lip."||(none)|
A Love/Hate RelationshipEdit
At Lars' request, you can approach Braith and tell her to stop her bullying ways. In order to persuade her, you can tell her:
- "I'm Lars' bodyguard. Mess with him and you mess with me!"
- "He has a disease. It's very contagious."
- "You want to be shipped off to the Honorhall Orphanage?"
As harsh as the last choice may seem, all three options lead to the same response. It turns out Braith has liked Lars for quite some time now, and only wanted a kiss. If he had obliged, she wouldn't have had to bully him. Although this may seem like an odd way to treat the boy she wants a kiss from, the blame for this warped behavior does not entirely lie with Braith herself, as she can often be heard asking her parents for advice, to little or no avail:
Braith: "Papa, I want to talk to you..."
Amren: "Hmm? What about?"
Braith: "Well, there's this boy, and..."
Braith: "Mother? Can I talk to you?"
Saffir: "Not now, Braith."
Saffir: "Not now, Braith!"
Braith: "I wanted to ask you something. It's about a boy..."
Saffir: "Not now, Braith. Go... go ask your father."
After the quest conclusion, you'll notice that Braith no longer bullies Lars, and in fact keeps her distance from him. Lars will thank you for your help, and Braith will tell you that she has stopped bullying him.
- You can only speak with Lars Battle-Born between 8am and 8pm.
- After completing this quest, even if she continues with her same abrasive dialogue, Braith becomes friendly to you and will occasionally give you a gift or invite you to play.
- You do not have to complete this quest to receive your reward (2 gold pieces).
- After completing this quest, you can freely enter and take low-value items from the Battle-Born house. This can be useful for the Missing In Action quest.
- Braith will sometimes go into Carlotta Valentia's house and stay there, no longer patrolling Whiterun or returning to Amren's house. If this has happened, your quest marker may point to Carlotta's house after you talk to Lars.
- If you can pick the lock on Carlotta's house without being detected, you can still have the quest dialogue with Braith inside the house. When you leave, she will follow you out, and resume her normal schedule.
|Bullying Braith (FreeformWhiterunQuest01)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Convince Braith to stop bullying Lars
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 255.