This is a list of some of the best items that are usable at level one. Although they can be used by level one characters, it is highly unlikely that a low level character will have the ability or means to obtain most of them, though it is still possible.
- Brusef Amelion's Armor Set - Can be found scattered inside Amelion Tomb which is northeast of Leyawiin along the river bank. As good as standard chainmail armor.
- Note: This armor is very heavy; an encumbrance of about 250 is needed (unlikely at level one) if you're going to be carrying many other items. The total encumbrance value of the armor is 126. There is also a sword in this set with an encumbrance of 28, equalling a total required encumbrance of 154 to carry both the armor and weapon for this set.
- Chainmail (normally not available until level 6) - Most City Guards wear chainmail armor, but city guards are difficult targets for several reasons. Two better sources are Tyrellius Logellus, the corrupt guard at the end of the Two Sides of the Coin quest and the Chapel Guard in Cheydinhal's chapel undercroft once The Elven Maiden has started. Both of these targets wear a nearly full set of chainmail armor (missing helmet and shield) at all levels. Additionally, most chainmail can be obtained from fallen Kvatch soldiers during The Battle for Castle Kvatch.
- Elven (normally not available until level 15) - A nearly full set (missing helmet and shield) can be collected from Azani Blackheart (the boss from the Fighters Guild quest Azani Blackheart.)
- Fin Gleam - An enchanted light armor Glass helmet with multiple enchantments that can be found in the ocean near Anvil
- Umbra's Ebony Armor Set - This complete set of heavy armor can be found on Umbra in Vindasel, southwest of the Imperial City. However, killing Umbra to obtain the armor can be very challenging for low level characters. Also, this armor is actually leveled: the version you receive below level 15 is lower in quality than standard Ebony Armor, and has statistics comparable to Orcish Armor.
- Blackwood Armor - This heavy armor is worn by several Blackwood Company members who are encountered during the Fighters Guild quest line; it is between Dwarven and Orcish armor in quality. The first NPC you will encounter wearing this armor is already dead, so retrieving it is particularly easy: a dead Blackwood Company Member with a full suit of armor is found in Forsaken Mine during the quest Trolls of Forsaken Mine.
- Tower of the Nine - The best shield you can get at the start of the game, even if you're a light armor person (the shield is marked as heavy). You can buy it at Stonewall Shields for a base cost of 4800 gold.
- Masque of Clavicus Vile - Can be acquired at level one if you (somehow manage to) collect Umbra and start Clavicus Vile's quest by talking to Ma'Raska and then getting the "I've got Umbra" quest update. Talk to the statue to finish the quest and get the Masque of Clavicus Vile.
- Calliben's Grim Retort - found in the Trentius Family Mausoleum, accessible during and after the Unfriendly Competition quest.
- Silver War Axe - Several can be found scattered in various places. One can be found being sold by Fjotreid in Bruma's Hammer and Axe shop. Another can be found in the Kvatch Oblivion World. A third can be found in Leyawiin's Blackwood Company Hall. One more can be found in Fort Homestead Heroes Hall. The final one can be found beside Agnar the Unwavering's corpse near Dive Rock. See the Horror of Dive Rock quest. However, getting this axe is a risky move as the Uderfrykte Matron guards the area around the corpse and can easily kill a low level character unless you use weapons and/or spells with some serious fire damage. She is also pretty fast so dashing in to swipe the axe and then dashing out without the use of a horse will quickly be the death of a new character. So it is recommended that the silver war axe be sourced in some of the other places listed here instead. Lastly, the Fighter's Stronghold plugin adds a silver war axe beside the corpse of Lord Kelvyn at the gates of Battlehorn Castle.
- Silver Warhammer - One can be found in Toadstool Hollow south of Bruma. The warhammer is lying beside the corpse of a dead drunken goblin in a barrel. Another can be found in the Ayleid ruin Hame which lies southeast of Cheydinhal.
- Umbra - Found on Umbra in Vindasel. (See above notes on Umbra's armor.)
- Honorblade of Chorrol - A quest item found during Sins of the Father, a quest you can start at level 1.
- Silver Longsword - Two can be found in the topmost floor of the Leyawiin Fighter's Guild. Another two can be stolen from Magrum gra-Orum's House in Cheydinhal.
- Silver Shortsword - Several can be found scattered in various places. One can be found in the Chorrol Fighters Guild at the top of the stairs leading up to Vilena Donton's loft office on a weapons rack to one side along with two Fine Steel Longswords. Another can be found in the Bruma Fighters Guild. One more can be found in the Bravil Fighters Guild. Two can be found in the Leyawiin Fighters Guild, one is in the 2nd Floor West room and the other is in the 3rd Floor West room along with two silver longswords. The Leyawiin Blackwood Company Hall also has one silver shortsword. During the Dark Brotherhood quest, Scheduled for Execution, a silver shortsword can be found in The Sanctum. Note that during the Tutorial, this item cannot be found. It can only be found during the related Dark Brotherhood quest (Its actually two different areas being used by the game!). The final one can be stolen from Lazare Milvan's House in Skingrad.
- Fine Steel Bow - Can be found immediately (at level 1) on a ledge outside Fort Nikel, just west of the Imperial City.
- Silver Bow - Carried by Imperial Archers. Can be obtained from the Imperial Archer outside the Inn of Ill Omen when the Oblivion Gate opens nearby, by leading the enemies to him to kill him, letting you loot his bow.
- Bow of Infliction - 5240 base price at The Archer's Paradox, Bravil.