|1st||Weakness to Magic|
Salt Piles are potentially more valuable for cooking than for alchemy, since salt is a necessary ingredient in most cooking recipes. Accordingly, it is categorized as raw food as well as an ingredient, meaning it can be traded with innkeepers as well as apothecary merchants. It cannot be harvested in Skyrim.
|Desired Effect||Combine with:|
|Regenerate Magicka||Weakness to Magic||Dwarven Oil, Jazbay Grapes, Taproot|
350 guaranteed samples can be found in 162 different locations. Locations with the greatest numbers are:
- 14 centered 330 ft S of Merryfair Farm
- 13 in Riften (The Rift)
- 9 in The Midden (Winterhold)
- 9 in Mistveil Keep Barracks (Riften)
- 8 in Fellglow Keep (Whiterun Hold)
- 6 in The Bee and Barb (Riften)
- 6 in Riften Warehouse (Riften)
- 6 in Haelga's Bunkhouse (Riften)
- 6 in Temple of Mara (Riften)
Nearly all innkeepers and apothecary merchants are guaranteed to sell 1-6 salt piles. In addition, salt can commonly be found in many containers. Fish barrels always contain 1 salt pile, as do certain barrels that are internally identified as meat barrels. Standard food barrels and most small sacks have a 40% chance of containing 1-3 salt piles.
Of the 18 cooking recipes available to the player, all but three require salt, making it easier to list the three exceptions (Elsweyr fondue, horker stew, and vegetable soup). The recipes that require salt are:
- Ten recipes consist of combining a raw meat with salt, yielding cooked versions of the meat, namely cooked beef, grilled chicken breast, horker loaf, horse haunch, leg of goat roast, mammoth steak, pheasant roast, rabbit haunch, salmon steak, and venison chop.
- Two meats, beef and venison, can also be combined with vegetables as well as salt, yielding beef stew and venison stew.
- Vegetarian options that require salt are apple cabbage stew, cabbage potato soup, and tomato soup.
Salt can also be used at the Atronach Forge:
Rare Salt PileEdit
There is a second variety of salt pile (
00074a19, weight 0.2, value 1 gold) which shares all the same alchemical properties as a regular salt pile. Its only location is in Black-Briar Manor in Riften, but it cannot be reached without the help of console commands.