|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
|Appears in||Oblivion, ESO|
While not much is known about the town's early history, Chorrol has housed a chapel to Stendarr since at least the First Era. The position of Archbishop of Chorrol was filled by one Vincius Imbrex by no less than 1E 1051.. The Academy of Chorrol was a scholarly institution which was based in the city at some point, but very little is known about it. The city has had a focal point for merchants in the shade of an oak tree since the Second Era when it was known as "Little Oak Place".
According to some sources, Varen Aquilarios was the Duke of Chorrol before Emperor Leovic's decriminalization of Daedra worship caused him to take up arms and usurp the Emperor in a long and bloody war, though other sources state he was the Count of Kvatch. After being defeated at Fort Ash, Varen took control of the Legion of Chorrol which routed Leovic's troops into the Heartlands, paving the way for the Colovian Estates to unite and fight under his dragon banner.
The first Count of Chorrol was Kantus Jeril, appointed for heroisms performed at the Battle of Pale Pass. The powerful Motierre family have also been firmly established in Chorrol since at least 2E 579.
Chorrol was significantly affected by the Soulburst in 2E 579 when earthquakes ruptured the ground, splitting the town and leaving a gaping fissure infested with flame atronachs that killed Doran, the town's prefect. Wooden walkways were erected over the chasm but the noxious fumes caused many to fall to their deaths while crossing. Many buildings, including the Great Chapel, were damaged or destroyed by the constant earthquakes, with the Oak and Crosier inn resorting to nailing furniture to the floor.. During the Three Banners War circa 2E 582, the town was initially located within the territory held by the Daggerfall Covenant, although it changed hands many times over the course of the war. However, the real power over the roads around Chorrol was determined by control over nearby Fort Rayles.
As of 3E 433 the city was divided into five main districts: Fountain Gate, Castle Chorrol, Chapel Street, West District and the Great Oak Place. and the town was protected by thick walls and guard towers. The ruler of Chorrol at this time was Countess Arriana Valga, widow of the hereditary Count of Chorrol.
- The Chorrol Crier
- The Four Abominations — Vinicius Imbrex, Archbishop of Chorrol, 1E 1051—1087
- Aspects of Lord Hircine — Juno Procillus, Academy of Chorrol
- Chronicles of the Five Companions 1 — Lyris Titanborn
- Varen's Wall — Midara Salviticus, Historian, University of Gwylim
- The Wolf and the Dragon — Midara Salviticus, Historian, University of Gwylim
- Eulogy for Emperor Varen — Lord Abnur Tharn, Chancellor of the Elder Council
- Oblivion loading screens
- Gil Brousseau's dialogue in ESO
- Chorrol in ESO
- Battle of Sancre Tor
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Official Game Guide — Peter Olafson
- Guide to Chorrol — Alessia Ottus