|Location||March of Sacrifices|
Hircine is a Daedric Prince whose sphere is the Hunt, and is the creator of lycanthropes. He is the master of Ulthorn the Hound and his Houndsmen, granting them lycanthropy so they may overtake Malabal Tor. The Hunting Grounds are his realm of Oblivion, and the Huntsmen are his Daedric soldiers. He appears within the March of Sacrifices, hosting the Great Hunt for competitors hunting the indrik Tarcyr.
For more information see the lore page.
- The Senche: Track the pale senche for the hunter Haras.
- A Father's Promise: Help a mother find her missing daughter.
- The Ties that Bind: Search for any surviving Thalmor soldiers at Wilding Run.
- The Heart of the Beast: Help the Glenmoril Wyrd recover their temple from the Reachmen.
- Hircine's Gift: Gain Hircine's blessing to become a werewolf.
- The Great Hunt: Conquer the March of Sacrifices and emerge victorious in the Great Hunt.
The Great Hunt
Upoon entering the March of Sacrifices, you'll witness the following scene:
- Hircine: "My boon shall be given to the hunter who brings me the heart of Tarcyr. But know this. Only the strong survive my March of Sacrifices."
- Balorgh: "Yeah, yeah, you walking flank steak. We get it."
- Foral: "You would do well not to mock the Huntsman in his own realm, leaf-eater."
- Balorgh: "That so? Well, I'd worry more about yourself and less about your precious Prince, runt."
While hunting down Balorgh, you will overhear him have a conversation with Hircine.
- Balorgh: "What do you mean? I've brought you the heart!"
- Hircine: "Yes, but you were not the one to hunt my Hare. Why should I grant you this favor?"
- Balorgh: "You want a hunt? Fine! I'll hunt down the ones who killed that beast in the first place!"
- Hircine: "Intriguing. Very well. Bring me their hearts, and the boon is yours."
After Balorgh has been killed, the following conversation will occur between Hircine and Hanu.
- Hircine: "Quite the thrilling hunt. My boon is yours, child of Azura. What do you seek?"
- Hanu: "Freedom for myself and my father. Release us, so we may join our ancestors in death."
- Hircine: "I hear two requests child, not one. You must choose. A heart for a heart is only fair."
- Tharas: "Use Hircine's boon for your own freedom, Hanu. You don't deserve this fate."
- Hanu: "Father, I....I don't know if I can do that."
Once The Pale Senche has been slain, an Aspect of Hircine in the form of a deer will appear and address you:
- Aspect of Hircine: "A most unexpected end. But such a magnificent hunt! My Hounds will sing of it for ages.
Now, return to Haras. Tell him he may rest."
The Ties than Bind
When a wrong item is chosen during the quest, Hircine will say one of the following things:
- "Do you remember, Ulthorn? So sad, so full of hate. It still burns!"
- "She cast it away, Ulthorn! For another, for forever!"
- "No, Ulthorn. Not that one."
- "Ha! And then, Ulthorn? What comes next?"
- "In the end, you came to me. And the Shade of Ulthorn has been with me ever since."
A Father's Promise
In the woods east of the Tomb of the Apostates and west of Tanglehaven, an Aspect of Hircine will appear to speak to you and Firwin:[verification needed — Does the dialogue vary if your character is a werewolf?]
- "Another comes for my blessing? Drink deep, and let the beast behind your eyes take hold.
Ah, but is that fear I smell? The young Bosmer fears what the future holds. Her flesh is weak, but not for long."
- What have you done to Firwin?
- "How ungrateful the little Elf is! She took the gift willingly, and now she wishes to turn away.
Her flesh and blood are mine, but I am not without mercy. Perhaps she can save someone... her mother... from the same fate."
- What fate? What do you mean?
- "The Elf child must take the heartblood from her sire. If her mother drinks of it, she may yet be saved.
But there is no redemption for the child. She is mine."
After entering the Hunting Grounds with Songamdir, he will ask you to kneel before Hircine's shrine and to listen to the words of the Daedric Prince:
- Hircine: "You desire power, but have you the will? The God of Schemes has tasted your soul. You've come back tainted. Wrong. Hunt. Seek a tribute worthy of your pack. Bring it down, then howl for your brothers and sisters. If the pack accepts you, they will feed, and you will join them. Now, experience my power!"
After hunting for your pack, Hircine will call out to you:
- Hircine: "Enough! The pup has become a wolf. Bow to me, hunter, and receive true power."
Kneel and pray before his shrine and Hircine will ask you once more if you accept his gift:
- "Do you accept my power?"
- <Bow to Hircine>
- "Once a pup, now a wolf. Once prey, now a hunter. The blood of the true hunter, and the pack, is now yours. They are your only family, your only allegiance.
You will then be a fully fledged werewolf.
The Heart of the Beast
- Wyress Linnae: "Put her heart in the bowl on the altar."
- Statue of Hircine: "A worthy offering. What is it you seek?"
- Wyress Linnae: "My Prince, we seek to know why―"
- Statue of Hircine: "Silence, prey! I speak not to the weak, but to the one who took the heart.
- This one interests me. Come. Speak to me, hunter."
You must then speak to the Statue of Hircine. His dialogue will differ if you are a werewolf.
You will then see the Fallen Grotto become a green-blue tint, arriving in a mirror version of it within Hircine's Hunting Grounds. He will later speak to you through his Spirit of the Hunt and send you on your final trial, to kill Brinarch and retrieve his briar heart. Once you have successfully done this, he will speak to you a final time:
- Shrines to Hircine depict him holding two spears with two wolves at his side. There is Daedric text inscribed at its base that reads "YFCILS IVS BYA OCIYPZIYP AS OCIYP AS YFCILS IVS BYA OCIYP AS", which is most likely gibberish.
- He is voiced by Keith Szarabajka.
- Hircine's health bar may briefly appear when Tarcyr hides and summons its thralls, where he is shown to have 15000 health.
- Hircine appears in-person before the fight with Balorgh, where he is player-sized.