Nix-hounds are medium-sized bloodsucking insectoid predators that are native to Morrowind, as well as having migrated to Solstheim by the Fourth Era as a result of the Red Year. Its cousin, the rogue nix-hound, is larger and much more dangerous.
They are considered distant relatives of nix-oxen and kwama. In Tribunal mythology, Nix-Hounds were created by Vivec to hunt Dreughs during a time-lost campaign against the Altmer of the sea.[UOL 1]
When young nix-hounds emerge from their chrysalis, they can immediately drain up to four similar sized prey a day using their proboscis. They have been noted as being very opportunistic whilst searching for food, easily killing small animals and children even whilst at this early development stage. Adult wild nix-hounds are aggressive pack-hunters, with many men and mer meeting their end from an unsuspected ambush. Nix-hounds sustain themselves by draining prey of bodily fluids, leaving behind a 'meat-husk' that other creatures such as alits will eat. Common prey include baby guars, goats, kwama pupae and ash hoppers. In rare cases, large nix-hounds may prey on other, weaker nix-hounds. They spend hours a day grooming themselves with their pedipalps, but can still suffer from pests such as ash mites, which can cause a nix-hound to become extremely aggressive. They are also subject to several diseases, including Rockjoint and Blight, the latter making them stronger and more dangerous to travelers.
While usually vicious predators, they are well-known to be affectionate, attentive, and faithful pets that will follow their owners around. They are also commonly used as trackers, watch-hounds, and netch-deflators. Nix-Hounds were used as war dogs in the House Dagoth chap'thil. Ashlanders use nix-hound parts in a variety of their tribal customs.
- Fabricants are mechanical creatures engineered by Sotha Sil among which are also Nix-Hound Fabricants
- For game-specific information, see the Morrowind, Skyrim, ESO, and Legends articles.
- Nix-Hounds: A Manual for New Owners — A guide for new nix-hound owners
- The Improved Emperor's Guide to Tamriel: Stonefalls and Deshaan — Flaccus Terentius, 2E 581
- Nix-Hound Creation Club in Skyrim
- Gudling the Rascal's dialogue in Morrowind
- A Petition for the Mighty Nix-Ox — Kylia Thando
- Nix-Hounds: A Manual for New Owners
- Huntmaster Sorim-Nakar in Tarra-Suj Hunt quest
- Nix-Hound in Morrowind
- Bal Foyen Nix-Hound Crown Store Showcase in ESO
- Five Songs of King Wulfharth
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.