The Alchemy section is a listing of all alchemical ingredients found in the world of Tamriel. Each entry in this index provides a quick reference to the effects and appearance of ingredients in the games.
Alchemy is the act of mixing, boiling, and distilling various substances to obtain their chemo-magical properties and create potions and poisons. Potions are usually imbibed orally and usually grant the imbiber with positive effects. Poisons are introduced into the target's bloodstream by pouring it onto a weapon and attacking the target with it and usually gives the target negative effects.
Alchemical ingredients include extracts from plants, animals, undead, and Daedra. Certain ingredients are very valuable to alchemists due to their rarity, many of which are extracts from Daedric creatures. Prospective alchemists often need to experiment with ingredients to gauge what effects can be created, usually by eating samples of ingredients. This practice is referred to as wortcraft.
Stationary alchemical stations are often used for the preparation of potions. In the Iliac Bay, they were often utilized by the temple clergy and the elusive Dark Brotherhood as a service to their members. In Skyrim, such stations were not only used by apothecaries but also installed by court wizards and even some taverns. Some landowners may also have an alchemy laboratory in their own homes.
In contrast, within Cyrodiil and Morrowind it was far more common for smaller travel apparatus to be used by alchemists. These portable laboratories had four components:
- Mortar and Pestle: used for grinding the ingredients together into a paste to be boiled, required for potion brewing
- Retort: used for distilling the brew, increases the magnitude of the potion's positive effects, optional for potion brewing.
- Calcinator: used to increase all effects of the brew, both positive and negative, optional for potion brewing.
- Alembic: also distills the brew, used to decrease its negative effects, optional for potion brewing
Alchemy was formulated into an art and science by Asliel Direnni.
Hagraven alchemical altar
- The Alchemist's Formulary — Instructions for some of the common potions made around Morrowind
- Alchemy: Discovering Traits by Defessus Lector — A guide to basic alchemy
- Alchemy For My Apprentice by You Know Who — A master alchemist instructs an apprentice on the basics of potion-making
- The Cake and the Diamond by Athyn Muendil — An alchemist tricks a thief!
- Calcinator Treatise — Argonian secrets of proper Calcinator positioning
- De Rerum Dirennis by Vorian Direnni — Tales about a creator of Alchemy Science
- Discomforts of War by Robier Douare, Alchemist — Alchemical advice to protect against common health threats
- Fundaments of Alchemy by Alyandon Mathierry — A fundamental primer on Alchemy
- A Game at Dinner by An Anonymous Spy — A spy's observations upon poison making and a dinner party
- Herbalist's Guide to Skyrim by Agneta Falia — A description of alchemy ingredients found in Tamriel's northernmost province, Skyrim
- The Nirnroot Missive by Sinderion — A description of the enigmatic plant called Nirnroot
- Sinderion's Field Journal by Sinderion — A detailed account of an alchemist's obsession with Nirnroot
- Song of the Alchemists by Marobar Sul — Book 5 of an incomplete series of fictional stories about the Dwemer
- Special Flora of Tamriel by Hardin the Herbalist — A list of the rare plants of Tamriel
Alchemy in the GamesEdit
- TES: Arena: There are potions, but none can be made.
- TES II: Daggerfall: Potions can be made, but only with the aid of a Potion Maker.
- TES III: Morrowind: Potions can be made with the proper apparatuses: mortar and pestles, alembics, retorts, and calcinators.
- TES IV: Oblivion: Potions and poisons can be made with the proper apparatus: mortar & pestles, alembics, retorts, and calcinators.
- TES V: Skyrim: Potions and poisons can be made, but only at an alchemy lab.
- An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire: There are potions, but none can be made.
- TES Adventures: Redguard: Potions are sublimated with ingredients, though most combinations have no effect.
- TES Travels: Dawnstar: Among the Magic Items are a handful of potions, but none can be made.
- TES Travels: Shadowkey: Among the Consumables are some potions, but none can be made.
- The Elder Scrolls Online: Potions and poisons can be made, but only at an alchemist's lab.
- The Elder Scrolls: Blades: Potions and poisons can be made, but only with Lea Jeanne or an alchemist.