A kalpa is an epoch of time consisting of the birth, life, and death of a world. For example, the Dawn Era and its chaos is said to have been the end of a previous kalpa, and the beginning of another.[UOL 1] These segments of time are sometimes subject to interruptions called Dragon Breaks.
- The Nords believe that the current kalpa is a byproduct of its predecessor's destruction at the hands of Alduin the World-Eater, and that this world shall also be destroyed to create a new one. Redguards and Argonians also believe in a cyclical world that is, or at least was, periodically consumed by Satakal and Atakota respectively. The Redguards believe that if they do not honor their ancestors, it will bring about a new "Ending Time", worse again than those before.
- There are also mentions of a Khajiiti "Next Pounce", most notably by the spirit of Nala-do who is allegedly waiting for it, though it is not entirely clear if this concept is related to the kalpas.
- It is said that the "half-Elf" Umaril's divine father hailed from the previous kalpa.
- The Reachmen believe that at the "end of all days", Hircine will fight alongside them, and the Dark Heart will beat again, reawakened by feeding on the deaths of mortals, and its darkness will spread from its depths to consume everything, sparing only Namira's faithful.
- Paarthurnax's dialogue in Skyrim
- Varieties of Faith in Tamriel — Brother Mikhael Karkuxor of the Imperial College
- Children of the Root — Solis Aduro
- Plea for Open Eyes — The Unveiled Azadiyeh
- Events of Cadwell the Betrayer in ESO: Elsweyr
- The Song of Pelinal, v 7
- High Shaman Glynroch's dialogue in ESO
- Arana's dialogue in ESO
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.