|Location||The Throne Aligned, Cogitum Centralis
|Faction(s)||The Triad; Whispering Shadows|
Nocturnal is a Daedric Prince whose sphere is night and darkness. She is part of The Triad, alongside Clavicus Vile and Mephala, a group of Princes who did not sign the Coldharbour Compact and seek to start a Daedric War. Her realm of Oblivion is the Evergloam. For more information, see the lore page.
Nocturnal is encountered as the hidden main antagonist of the Clockwork City main quest, where she seeks to control the power of the city and acquire her Skeleton Key. Her minions include the Whispering Shadows cult and many shadow creatures, most notably the Shadow of Sotha Sil, who has secretly usurped the real Sotha Sil. In the Cogitum Centralis, she appears after the shadow's defeat as a large purple aura of darkness before being banished by Sotha Sil.
Nocturnal later returns as the primary antagonist in Summerset.
- Where Shadows Lie: Save the Clockwork God.
- The Dreaming Cave: Find a way to communicate with Meridia and rescue her Golden Knight from Mephala's clutches.[verification needed]
- Lost in Translation: Locate the Heart of Transparent Law.
- The Crystal Tower: Ascend the Crystal Tower and put an end to Nocturnal's machinations.
- Shrine of Nocturnal: Nocturnal is nonplussed with her novitiate—save her from torture and pain.
Where Shadows LieEdit
When the Shadow of Sotha Sil is defeated:
- Proctor Luciana Pullo: "Fyr? Where did you―? What are you doing?"
- Divayth Fyr: "Never mind where I came from! I'm keeping Sil alive, you ungrateful shrew! We can't let the shadow escape!"
- Luciana Pullo: "Just hurry! I can't hold the light for long!"
- Nocturnal: "Even now, at the end, you bicker. How predictably mortal..."
- Divayth Fyr: "She's here! Nocturnal!"
- Nocturnal: "Why do you struggle so? Do you not see that it's hopeless? Sleep now... give in to the dark."
- Divayth Fyr: "I can't hold it much longer! Get up, comrade! You have to turn the Skeleton Key! Now!"
- Luciana Pullo: "I... will not yield! Go, friend― do as Fyr says! Unlock the throne! Free Sotha Sil!"
When the Skeleton Key has been deactivated:
- Sotha Sil: "You trespass, Ur-dra. The Clockwork City shall bear your weight no longer."
- Nocturnal: "You achieve nothing, little godling. The Triad looms upon Summerset's shores. All that is shall be ours!"
- Divayth Fyr: "Well done, my friend. Enough theatrics, Luciana. On your feet. Luciana...?"
- Sotha Sil: "We should return to the surface. This is no place for mortals."
Lost in TranslationEdit
After Ritemaster Iachesis reveals the location of the Heart Of Transparent Law, Clavicus and Mephala appear in Evergloam:
- Clavicus Vile: "Look, Mephala! The mortal hid the heart inside his own body! How clever!"
- Darien Gautier: "Uh-oh. Mephala and Clavicus Vile. This could be bad."
- Mephala: "But why did Nocturnal keep this from us?! No matter, I'll take the heart now, Ritemaster."
- <Vile and Mephala proceed to use their powers to attempt to rip the Heart Of Transparent Law from the Ritemaster's body, but he is protected by his wards.>
- Clavicus Vile: "Impressive for a mortal, but the wards won't hold for long against our power."
- <The tug-of-war continues.>
- Ritemaster Iachesis: "They're … tearing me … apart!"
- Clavicus Vile: "Stop that, Mephala! I've got him! Wait … what's—?"
- <Nocturnal appears on the pillar between them, standing behind the Ritemaster.>
- Mephala: "Nocturnal?! How dare you interfere!"
- Nocturnal: "Get out of my realm, Princes!"
- <Nocturnal casts Vile and Mephala out.>
- Nocturnal: "You are no longer welcome. The Heart belongs to me. We made a deal, didn't we, mortal?"
- <Nocturnal grabs the Ritemaster.>
- Valsirenn: "Iachesis?"
- Ritemaster Iachesis: "I did what I had to. I hid the Heart, even from you. The only way to retrieve it is to kill me."
- Nocturnal: "Very well. I accept those terms."
- <Nocturnal takes the Heart from the Ritemasters chest, destroying him.>
The Crystal TowerEdit
When you reach the Tower's pinnacle, you'll find Nocturnal remaking the Heart of Transparent Law in her own image.
- Nocturnal: "The tower crystal is almost whole. You are too late, mortal!"
- Nocturnal: "You are too late. Once the crystal is made whole, I shall become infinite!"
When you use Dawnbreaker's power and dispel the shadows:
- Nocturnal: "Meridia's power won't help you against me!"
Nocturnal summons Shadow Veya to oppose you.
- Nocturnal: "Rise, my champion! And this time, succeed where you last failed!"
- Shadow Veya: "Finally! My true purpose! I will not fail you, Mother!"
When Shadow Veya is defeated, Nocturnal summons her again, larger, stronger and with more arms.
- Nocturnal: "You strength is impressive, but Transparent Law is almost whole. Now rise again, my champion!"
- Shadow Veya: "You can't stop me. I only grow stronger as we bathe this world in darkness!"
- Nocturnal: "Witness my unbridled power!"
Defeat Shadow Veya with the help of Dawnbreaker's divine energy and Reforge Transparent Law to end the fight.
- Nocturnal: "No … the tower crystal … was supposed to be … mine …."
- Nocturnal: "No!"
Shrine of NocturnalEdit
- Millona Brolus: "My lady Nocturnal, I beg you!"
- Nocturnal: "Ungrateful child, bear the consequence of your failure with grace."
- Nocturnal: "You, mortal, I command you to speak with me!"
If you have completed the Summerset questline:
- "Darkness curse you and the land you have traveled, mortal.
Were I not otherwise occupied with that sniveling wretch of an acolyte I would tear you to shreds."
If you haven't:
- "Another mortal? Have you come to the Shrine of Nocturnal to grovel at my feet like that worthless acolyte, or will you betray my hospitality as well?."
- Your acolyte?
- "Yes. A faithless weakling named Millona Brolus.
When thieves came to my property, she spoke to them as friends and asked them to stop. As if that would stay their hands."
- What did these thieves steal, exactly?
- "The Shade Sickle—a powerful instrument of my will. For her inability to protect it, Millona will never sleep again. I wonder how long she can last.
Perhaps you have the mettle to return my sickle? With it, you would reap great reward."
- Yes, I will find this Shade Sickle for you.
- "I will bear witness. Do not fail me.
Now, speak to my acolyte and find the cowardly fools who dared to steal from me."
- How can I even be sure that you're really Nocturnal?
- "Your doubts do you credit, mortal. But in your heart, you know the truth.
Your shadow grows long and dark. The shades of Evergloam dance at the edge of your sight. I am Ur-dra. I am Nocturnal."
After the Summerset questline, you can reply with:
- I faced you before. How do I know this isn't another plot?
- "A petty quarrel.
I am eternal, mortal. Do you think I see your impertinence as more than a flicker in the candle of time? My sickle was stolen. I want it returned. That is all."
- How can I trust you?
- "Trust or doubt. It makes little difference to me.
I am overlooking your past transgressions, mortal. If petty grudges would prevent you from reaping my blessings, so be it."
When you return to the shrine:
- "You return to me at last."
- "The faithless wanderer succeeds where my servants fail. Once again, the fruits of devotion prove inferior to the benefits of skill. Claim your reward from Millona, mortal. You find favor in the shadows."
Abyssal Geyser DialogueEdit
- Generic Pre-Boss Dialogue
- "Can you feel my cold touch, mortals?"
- "Do you truly think you can stand against my shadows?"
- "These mortals. They are so predictable."
- "What fools these mortals be!"
- "You have meddled in our affairs for the last time!"
- "Feel the power of eternal darkness!"
- "You took something from me, so I take something from you."
- "Feel the anger of the darkness enraged!"
- Destroying the Abyssal Pearl
- "Victory? For a time, perhaps. But time belongs to the Daedric Princes."
- "You accomplished nothing, mortal worm."
- "Nocturnal is the dark, and the dark is endless."
- "A single battle isn't a war, mortal."
- "Nocturnal has survived worse than this."
- "Whenever darkness falls, I'll be there."
- "I am the night, and the night cannot die!"
- "In the dark, you will never see the end when it comes."
- "Nocturnal shall have her revenge!"
- "I am the darkness lurking around you always. Beware."
- "Those who've seen the face of darkness do not survive long."
- "When next we meet, things will be different."
- "As the darkness swallows light, so shall Nocturnal consume you."
- "Before Oblivion, there was Nocturnal."
- "Nocturnal is the night, and the night goes on forever."
- "Defeated? Oh how little you understand, mortal flea!"
- "When the day ends, Nocturnal lives."
- "The night is eternal. How can you possibly win?"
- "Savor this moment. It shall not last."
- "You believe you have won? How amusing."
- "You have no idea what comes next, do you, foolish mortal?"
- "I dwell in the darkness and one day I shall return."
A named character will often replace the generic final wave boss at an Abyssal Geyser, and Nocturnal will comment on it.
|Ruella Many-Claws||"Mortals make the perfect hosts for the eggs of Ruella Many-Claws."
"I call forth Ruella Many-Claws to shock the mortals into submission."
|Churug of the Abyss||"From the depths' darkness, Churug arises!"
"Mortals fear the dark. Now let them fear Churug!"
|Sheefar of the Depths||"Sheefar, bane of sailors, Nocturnal calls you forth!"
"Drown in Sheefar's cold embrace!"
|Girawell the Erratic||"Let us see how you fare against Girawell the Erratic."
"Girawell, emerge from my shadows!"
|Muustikar Wave-Eater||"Muustikar, Nocturnal has need of you, Wave-Eater!"
"Muustikar hungers for more than waves today."
|Reefhammer||"Reefhammer, destroy these fools!"
"Reefhammer, smash these mortals upon your shell!"
|Darkstorm the Alluring||"Let's see how you deal with Darkstorm's charms."
"From out of the sea, I give you Darkstorm the Alluring!"
|Eejoba the Radiant||"Eejoba take your will, mortal fools!"
"Let Eejoba lead you into my darkness, mortals."
|Tidewrack||"I summon Tidewrack to end this."
"Now Tidewrack crashes down upon you."
|Vsskalvor||"Vsskalvor, protect this geyser!"
"Nothing can stand against the power of Vsskalvor!"
- According to datamining, Nocturnal was initially involved in the original Thieves Guild questline with relation to something called the "Twilight Lodge", but was cut from its story prior to release. In concept art and an early preview video of Abah's Landing, a statue of Nocturnal with two crows and the Skeleton Key beneath it was seen.
- Nocturnal is shown as a Redguard in Summerset, matching her appearance in Skyrim, and wearing Shrike's Nocturnal Frock from the Crown Store.