Nerussa, the OenophileEdit
Travel to the village of Weye, which lies just west of the main bridge into the Imperial City. Talk to Nerussa, proprietor of the Wawnet Inn in Weye. Nerussa is seeking some rare, fine wines and she will discuss what she's looking for if you talk to her about "Wine". She will request that you collect six bottles of Shadowbanish Wine, which can be found in some of the old fort ruins around Cyrodiil, and offers to pay handsomely for them.
If you happen to find a bottle of Shadowbanish Wine before talking to Nerussa, picking up the bottle will also initiate this quest. You will be told:
- I've come across a bottle of wine with markings I've never seen before. I can barely make out "Shadowbanish Wine" on the label. It must be quite valuable. I should hold onto it until I find out more.
You will need to find Nerussa to learn more.
Seeking the Wine of the YearEdit
Shadowbanish Wine was made especially for the Imperial Legion and has some special magical properties not associated with other vintages; namely it doubles as a long-lasting potion of Night-Eye. The bottles which you are seeking will be located in chests found in eight forts around Cyrodiil. Each chest contains two bottles of wine, so at least three chests will need to be found. Since they respawn, however, it is possible to get all six bottles from one chest. The forts are:
- Fort Aurus — A small fort northeast of Bravil, across the Niben Bay, containing conjurers (quest-related).
- Fort Carmala — A small fort between Chorrol and Skingrad containing vampires (quest-related).
- Fort Dirich — A small fort between Skingrad and Chorrol containing undead (quest-related).
- Fort Grief — A medium-sized fort northeast of Bravil containing NPCs (quest-locked).
- Fort Irony — A small fort southeast of Bravil containing goblins (quest-related).
- Fort Magia — A medium-sized fort east of the Imperial City containing undead (quest-related).
- Fort Scinia — A medium-sized fort east of Cheydinhal containing marauders and undead (quest-related).
- Fort Vlastarus — A small fort east of Skingrad containing vampires (quest-related).
Two additional locations are added by Official Plug-ins:
- Frostcrag SpireWT — A tower east of Bruma that serves as a home for magic-oriented characters (download-specific). Contains one non-respawning bottle in the vault in a wine rack.
- Battlehorn CastleFS — A large castle west of Chorrol that can be won by defeating the attacking marauders (download-specific). Contains one non-respawning bottle in the wine cellar.
Reward for your effortsEdit
Return to the Wawnet Inn and give the six bottles of Shadowbanish Wine to Nerussa, who will promptly pay you 1,000 gold in return. She will also inform you that she will pay 100 gold for each additional bottle of Shadowbanish Wine you bring in.
- It is not possible to use the duplication glitch on the wine.
- You can sell Shadowbanish Wine to other merchants too (but of course for a lower price). It won't interrupt the quest, since you can retrieve more wine from the forts listed above.
- The wine is described as having been "made in one tiny batch", however an infinite amount is available since it respawns repeatedly.
- This issue has been addressed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; Only a limited supply of wine is available now as the containers no longer respawn the wine.
|A Venerable Vintage (SQ08)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I've come across a bottle of wine with markings I've never seen before. I can barely make out "Shadowbanish Wine" on the label. It must be quite valuable. I should hold onto it until I find out more.|
|20||I've spoken to Nerussa, the publican at the Wawnet Inn just outside the Imperial City. She's searching for a rare wine named Shadowbanish Wine that she says is most commonly found in fort ruins. She tells me if I retrieve six bottles, I'll be well compensated. Looks like I'll need to keep a careful eye out.|
|30||I've recovered six bottles of Shadowbanish Wine. I should bring them back to Nerussa at the Wawnet Inn for my final reward.|
|100||I've given six bottles of Shadowbanish Wine to Nerussa. In return, she paid me a large finder's fee of 1000 gold. She also told me if I find any more bottles of the wine, she'd gladly pay me 100 gold each for them.|
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage SQ08 stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.