|# of Zones||1|
|Respawn Time||10 days or 30 days|
Mystery of Talara, v3
|Console Location Code(s)|
|Morvunskar01, MorvunskarExterior01, MorvunskarExterior02, MorvunskarExterior03, MorvunskarExterior04|
|Southwest of Windhelm Stables
East of Uttering Hills Cave
|# of Arcane Enchanters||1|
|# of Tanning Racks||1|
|# of Forges/Anvils||1|
|# of Workbenches||1|
|# of Cooking Pots/Spits||1|
Morvunskar is a fort located to the southwest of, and overlooking, Windhelm. It is a medium-sized fort that is currently occupied by leveled warlocks. Its tactical position is evidenced by its view of Windhelm to the northeast and Kynesgrove to the southeast, and also the large number of main roads that can be seen from its towers. Misty Grove is accessed here during the quest "A Night To Remember".
- Arniel's Endeavor: Uncover an ancient Dwemer secret. (radiant)
- A Night To Remember: Find your lost friend, Sam, as you recover from a bad hangover.
- Onmund's Request: Help Onmund negotiate the return of a family amulet from Enthir. (radiant)
- Note: This location is one of many potential targets for one or more of the radiant quests found on this page.
The entrance tunnel has a pressure plate near the beginning that activates four different flame spouts, starting from the far end and moving towards the plate. There are three bedrolls underneath wooden shelters spread around the fire. The door to the interior of the fort is to the west of the fire, and there is a chest by the bedroll to the north.
There are five mages guarding the exterior of the fort. The first can be seen in a wooden guard tower above the entrance tunnel, while two others patrol the first courtyard. The fourth patrols the stairs up to the camp, and the fifth is sitting in a chair by the fire. The warlocks have a high detection level, making a stealthy approach difficult, though the fort can be accessed from the western side, due to landslides making the ground equal to the height of the walls.
If you go silently to your right after entering, you will overhear two mages having a conversation:
Mage #1: "They drink all day and night and what do I do?"
Mage #2: "You work the forge."
Mage #1: "Why do they need me to do this? We use magic, not weapons. I swear they make me do this for a laugh. At least I'm not dealing with the prisoners down below."
Mage #2: "Yeah, I don't know how I feel about what goes on down there."
Mage #1: "I bet Naris gets a kick . Nasty fella he is."
Mage #2: "You better quiet down before you end up there. Then I'd have to work the forge."
The room they are in contains a forge, a workbench, a bed, and on the table, three iron ingots, two pieces of iron ore, a piece of silver ore, and a copy of the Smithing skill book Cherim's Heart. The door beside this room is barred from the other side. The room opposite the main entrance is the kitchen, and contains a cooking pot over a campfire, a tanning rack, a woodcutter's axe, and hanging up, one bunch of dried frost mirriam, one bunch of dried elves ear, two garlic braids, three rabbits, three pheasants, and four salmon.
In the middle of the room are two fire braziers that mark the onward path, which is down some steps and through an unlocked door. There is a hanging moss growing on the left of the stairs. Beyond the door is a narrow passage that after a couple of turns leads to another wooden door. Through the door is a wide passage with a small wooden table on the left with a medium coin purse, a bottle of wine and six loose gold coins on top. Opposite the table is a small end table with a small mead barrel on top. At the end there are stairs leading down and into a large chamber with several hostile mages. To the left before the pile of rubble is a pressure plate that activates flame spouts from the left wall. The chamber is in two sections with several more pillars and a wide flight of double stairs on the right that leads up to the boss level mage, as well as another mage. A portal to Misty Grove appears to the right of the throne if you are on the quest A Night To Remember. The area affected by the portal to Misty Grove is larger than its physical appearance and extends into this room. If it is activated, you will need to hug the left wall and proceed slowly towards the containers to avoid being transported. Save before starting in case you are transported.
There are several troll skulls between the double flight of stairs and at the top two chairs acting as improvised thrones, on raised sections with more stairs leading up to them, beside the higher of the two is a small end table and to the left is an unlocked chest. Beside the bottom of the stairs is a set of shelves that have been knocked over and are leaning back against the side of the stairs by a pillar. It holds many empty wine bottles and bottles of wine.
The left-hand side of the chamber has several small tables and chairs, quite a few of which have been overturned. Another mage patrols this area. Against the west wall is a set of shelves holding six common books, a random potion of healing, and a food sack. To the north is an opening leading into another passage with a doorway under the stairs leading into a storeroom containing a novice-locked chest, an adept-locked strongbox, and a couple of food barrels. The passage to the north has a pressure plate that triggers a spiked gate from the right. Just after this is a T-junction to the right and straight on. Ahead are two bedrooms, one containing a long wooden table against the south wall with an arcane enchanter built in, a large unowned double bed coming out from the north wall with an end table to the right and a set of shelves to the left. These hold twelve common books and a random filled soul gem. The second bedroom contains two unowned single beds and a small square wooden table. Turning right brings you past several stacks of unusable barrels and around the corner a mage is sitting at a table on the left. Beside the table is a sideboard holding six more common books and a second table and chairs.
Ahead the passage turns to the west with a novice-locked door on the east wall and another room in front containing three unowned bed rolls, a Shrine of Dibella, two end tables and a round wooden table with two bottles of alto wine on top. On the end tables are two leather strips and a leveled potion of invisibility respectively. Through the novice-locked door is a flight of stairs leading down to Naris the Wicked and the results of his "experiments". You may even overhear some of his comments about his experiments such as the "...sweet smell of burnt flesh." He is standing in front of a wooden gated cell with six burnt corpses among some burning coals inside. The lever to open the gate is on the wall to the left and at the bottom on the left is an unlocked chest and to the right is a set of shelves holding a copy of the Destruction skill book Mystery of Talara, v3 and a leveled poison.
The passage turns to the west, passing a table covered in blood with a small coin purse and an iron dagger on top. Opposite this is a set of shelves holding eight common books. From here the passage climbs, turns south and at the top is the barred door, and to the exit.
- An iron ore vein can be found to the west of the path up to the fort.
- A gold ore vein and a corundum ore vein are located to the west. To reach them, go west from the bottom of the path to the fort and go around the rocks, then head north until directly west of the Morvunskar marker.
- A Shrine of Talos is located to the east of the main road towards Windhelm, with an assortment of weapons and items at its base.
- There are 105 empty wine bottles scattered throughout the complex.
- Poetic Justice can be served on Naris. If you activate the lever before he detects you, he will back into the torture room to give himself space to cast his spells. You can then close the gate and kill him at your leisure, or even just leave him trapped there.
- Morvunskar also appears in ESO.
- Sanguine may remain in Morvunskar due to a bug (see below). If you re-enter after everything has respawned (because Morvunskar is the target of a radiant quest, or for any other reason), Sanguine may be engaged in a fight with the mages in the large room downstairs. Sanguine is essential, but not leveled, so the fight can go on endlessly. If Morvunskar is the target of a Dawnguard quest, the Master Vampire may join the fight with Sanguine and the mages.
- If this has happened, you will probably hear the battle in progress shortly after you enter the interior.
- Sanguine can sometimes be found in Morvunskar fighting the mages. This can happen at any time once the quest A Night To Remember has started.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.0 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The portal to Misty Grove might not close after you finish A Night To Remember.
- In the large central room (where the portal to Misty Grove appears), you may encounter up to seven assorted magic casters. Depending on circumstances, if they all attack, their graphics, lightning, fire blasts etc. can easily cause the game to crash or lock up. Making a save before entering the room is advisable.