To initiate this quest, you must have an Alteration skill of 90 or higher. Speak with Tolfdir and ask if there is anything new that he can teach you. He tells you that he has been working on a new spell but, to complete his research, he needs heartscales. These must be cut from a dragon's skeleton and can only be done using a dagger called Kahvozein's Fang. He asks you to retrieve the blade, which can be found in a radiant dragon priest dungeon.
Possible dungeons are listed below:
|Forelhost||Nordic Ruins||The Rift|
|High Gate Ruins||Nordic Ruins||The Pale|
|Ragnvald||Nordic Ruins||The Reach|
|Valthume||Nordic Ruins||The Reach|
Once you have the dagger, you must either slay a dragon or locate a dragon corpse in order to retrieve the heartscales. If you intend on hunting down a live dragon, it is not necessary to slay it using Kahvozein's Fang. You need only equip the dagger in your right hand (it won't work with your left hand) and loot the creature's corpse. The heartscales will automatically be added to your inventory.
- It is possible to find Kahvozein's Fang in a dungeon and collect heartscales from a dragon's corpse before the quest is given.
- You can harvest heartscales even if the dragon disintegrates.
- Once the quest is complete, you can continue to use the Fang to collect a heartscale from each dragon corpse, in addition to the standard dragon loot. These scales can't be used for crafting, but are no longer quest items and can be sold to vendors.
- While it is not required to complete Dragon Rising to start this quest, completing it is necessary in order to find a dragon suitable for heartscale harvesting. Although the Skeletal Dragon can be found and defeated beforehand, it does not yield scales of any kind. Heartscales cannot be harvested from KrosulhahDB either.
- An exception to the last point can happen if a Draugr Overlord is lured near one of the Blackreach lifts, using Dread Zombie to get it inside. Once inside, it can be attacked and its Unrelenting Force Shout will release Vulthuryol, whose soul will be absorbed and its heartscales looted.
- If you reset your Alteration skill to 15 using the legendary mechanic after starting this quest, you will not be able to turn it in to Tolfdir until you bring your skill back up to at least 90.
- In your quest log, this quest is mistakenly decorated with the Side Quests knotwork (as displayed in the quest header), instead of the correct College of Winterhold knotwork that is shown on all other college quests. This does not have any known effect on gameplay. In particular, this quest is not considered to be a Side Quest for the purpose of the Sideways achievement.
Mod Notes: The quest Type is "None" instead of "Mages Guild"
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- After retrieving the heart scales, it is possible that you will not be able to talk to Tolfdir and you will be unable to finish the quest.
- The name of the dagger is shown as "Kavohzein's Fang" (different spelling) in both the Quest List objective and the map objective text.
|Alteration Ritual Spell (MGRitual05)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||Tolfdir is working on a new Master Alteration spell, and has asked for my help. He wants to study dragon heartscales, but in order to collect them I'll first need to obtain a special dagger known as Kahvozein's Fang.
Objective 10: Use 's Fang to collect Heartscales
|20||At Tolfdir's request, I've used Kahvozein's Fang to collect dragon heartscales. Hopefully this will help him to create the new Alteration spell he's been working on.
Objective 20: Bring Dragon Heartscales to Tolfdir
|200||I've assisted Tolfdir in his research by collecting dragon heartscales, which he needed to figure out a new Alteration spell. As a reward for helping him, he's given me the first copy of the tome.|
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 30, 40.