|Home Town||Dragon Bridge|
|Location||Blue Palace, Four Shields Tavern|
|Essential||Yes, until he leaves the Blue Palace|
Varnius Junius is an Imperial farmer from Dragon Bridge. He is found in Solitude's Blue Palace appealing to Jarl Elisif to investigate strange occurences in Wolfskull Cave. Until Varnius' appeal is heard, you cannot interact with him.
He can be first be found talking to the court in Solitude's Blue Palace. When this has happened, Varnius will return to his hometown of Dragon Bridge and go to the Four Shields Tavern. He will wander around the tavern throughout the rest of the day, only stopping when he goes to sleep at midnight until 8am.
When first met, Varnius will be actively trying to speak with jarl Elisif the Fair, and he will actively try and brush you off.
- "I'm trying to speak to the Jarl."
Afterwards, he will return back to his hometown of Dragon Bridge, something which he will tell you:
- "I've got what I came for, I better get back to Dragon Bridge."
He can now also be spoken with about his troubles:
- Aren't you worried about Wolfskull Cave?
- "I've done my part, Dragon Bridge will have extra guards. Falk Firebeard will find a way to take care of the cave."
Back in Dragon Bridge, Varnius will greet you in different ways, clearly painting him as a law-abiding citizen:
- "Respect the law, and you'll have no trouble in Dragon Bridge."
- "Mind you don't cross . He's in charge around here."
- "Don't start any trouble and I think we'll get along just fine."
- "At least, if you're gonna cause trouble, go somewhere else, okay? Please?"
When you enter the Blue Palace for the very first time, you will witness Varnius plea to jarl Elisif for help with some strange occurrences near Wolfskull Cave:
Varnius: "I swear to you, unnatural magics are coming from that cave! There are strange noises and lights! We need someone to investigate!"
Elisif: "Then we will immediately send out a legion to scour the cave and secure the town. Haafingar's people will always be safe under my rule."
Varnius: "Th...thank you, my Jarl thank you."
Sybille: "Your eminence, my scrying has suggested nothing in the area. Dragon Bridge is under imperial control. This is likely superstitious nonsense."
Falk: "Perhaps a more... tempered reaction... might be called for?"
Elisif: "Oh. Yes, of course you are right. Falk, tell Captain Aldis I said to assign a few extra soldiers to Dragon Bridge."
Varnius: "Thank you, Jarl Elisif. But about the cave..."
Falk: "I will have someone take care of the cave as well Varnius, you can rest easy. You're dismissed."
- The "Tassius" he refers to in dialogue is actually an NPC that does not appear in the final game, Tasius Tragus.
- Sometimes Varnius will not start his appeal when you approach the throne. This can be solved by pushing Varnius from where he is standing.
- This can also happen if the Bards College quest Tending the Flames has started. Completing the quest can make Varnius start talking the next time you enter the Palace.
- He walks back and forth between Dragon Bridge and the Blue Palace.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- For unknown reasons, it is possible for the quest not to advance to stage 15 when you enter the court.
- The Man Who Cried Wolf quest fails to begin during some parts of the main quest. Varnius Junius will not approach the jarl and it will be impossible to begin the quest. To fix this issue, either complete the civil war quests, or finish the main quest (if you choose to hold a peace negotiation).