Health is the amount of damage that any person or creature can take before dying. It is equivalent to the hit points (HP) used in other games.
Your health attribute can be increased using Fortify Health effects. Enchantments are particularly useful, since they have a constant effect. With spells and potions, care is needed when relying on Fortify Health effects in the middle of combat. When the effect expires, you will immediately lose all the bonus health, potentially killing your character.
You lose health when taking damage. The red bar in the bottom center of the screen shows you the current status of your health (although this bar will be invisible when health is full). There are many ways to restore health:
- Health slowly regenerates over time. You regenerate 0.70% of your maximum health each second outside of combat and 0.49% during combat. Most NPCs do not regenerate health during combat.
- As a result, sleeping or waiting fully restores your health - under normal circumstances, you always need 142.86 seconds (slightly more than 2 1/3 minutes) to heal to full, well under the hour minimum of waiting or sleeping.
- Your health regeneration rate can be increased by Regenerate Health effects, including potions and enchanted items.
|There are several actor values involved in calculating total health regeneration:
This equates to this passive health regeneration formula:
HealthPerSecond = MaximumHealth * HealRate% * HealRateMult% * (IsInCombat ? CombatHealthRegenMult : 1.0)
- The race provides a starting health. While the playable races all have a starting health of 50, other races have values ranging from 5 to 1000.
- Individual NPCs and creatures can have a fixed health adjustment. This adjustment is zero for most generic enemies, but can be substantial for quest-specific enemies (values range from -200 to 30000).
- Most NPCs and creatures gain additional health per level:
- 5 health points per level.
- The class provides an additional 0-10 health points per level.
The rate at which enemies regenerate health is determined by their race, and may be supplemented by racial abilities (for example, trolls have a racial ability allowing enhanced in-combat health regeneration).