|Store||Madesi's stall in Riften Grand Plaza|
|Sells||3 Leveled Necklaces and 3 Leveled Rings (all unenchanted)|
|Buys||Gems, Jewelry, Ore/Ingots, Tools|
|Primary Skills||Sneak, Speech, Lockpicking, Pickpocket|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionRift; JobMerchantFaction; ServicesRiftenPlazaMadesi; Street Vendor; TownRiftenFaction|
Madesi is an Argonian pawnbroker and a stall merchant selling jewelry in Riften. He has a rivalry with fellow merchant Brynjolf, a member of the Thieves Guild whose "miracle cures" have been drawing business away from Madesi. If your character is an Argonian, he will refer to you as "marsh-friend". Otherwise, he will call you a "land-strider". He will ask for your help in collecting supplies for a new ring he wants to make, and will reward you with 400 gold and a leveled necklace. His disposition towards you will also increase.
He gets up at 6am and heads to his stall at the grand plaza. While tending the stall, he can be found conversing with his customers and trying to interest passersby to buy his jewelry. At 8pm, he closes his shop and eats at Haelga's Bunkhouse until midnight, then goes to sleep in Beggar's Row.
Madesi wears a set of merchant clothes and a pair of boots, and is equipped with a leveled dagger which can be up to elven quality. He carries the key to his stall, a belted tunic, and a selection of common items and gold.
When idle at his stall, he will promote his goods.
- Madesi: "Beautiful baubles and gleaming gemstones over here!"
- Madesi: "Jewelry with legendary Argonian craftsmanship!"
- Madesi: "Buying and selling fine jewelry here!"
When you speak to him, he says:
- "If anything pleases the eye, don't hesitate to make me an offer."
- "If you have any jewelry to sell, I'd be glad to pay you a fair sum in gold for it."
- "Greetings, honored friend. Could I interest you in some fine jewelry?"
If you see him when he is not working, he'll say:
- "Come see me in the market if you're looking for the finest custom jewelry in all of Skyrim."
Upon ending the conversation, he will wish you well. If you are not an Argonian:
- Madesi: "Safe travels, landstrider."
If you are an Argonian:
- Madesi: "Good journey, marsh-friend."
You can ask him about his business.
- How's business?
- "Not well I'm afraid. That Brynjolf... he keeps draining the people's pockets with his ridiculous miracle cures.
A few months ago it was troll fat salve and now he's got something new.
Not that there's anything that can be done about it. He's in good with the Thieves Guild."
To start the quest, you'll need to ask him if he makes his own jewelry.
- Do you make your own jewelry?
- "I do. Sadly, I'm one of the few traditional Saxhleel Jewelers that remains in Tamriel; it's becoming a lost art.
Only trouble is gathering materials has become hazardous. The roads to the mines and to the other cities are thick with bandits... and worse.
Would you be interested in gathering some materials for me? I'd certainly be happy to compensate you."
- Sure, I'll get them for you.
- "Thank you, land-strider/marsh-friend.
I'm seeking a small list of items to complete my next creation: two flawless sapphires, a mammoth tusk and a chunk of gold ore."
When you have the requested items, you can tell him such, and he'll give you 100 gold for each item you bring him. His reply will depend on what you give him.
- "I have your flawless sapphires."
- "Good, these will make wonderful settings for my rings."
- "I have a mammoth tusk for you."
- "The ivory from this tusk will be perfect for the inlay on my amulets."
- "I have a chunk of gold ore for you."
- "Perfect. Melting this down will give me plenty of gold for those necklaces I started."
Once you've brought him everything, ask him if he needs anything else.
- Did you need anything else
- "No, I think I have enough here to get started.
Here, let me give you this. It's the least I can do for all your trouble."
He will reward you with a leveled necklace.
You can ask him about the term "Saxhleel". If you're not an Argonian:
- "Forgive me. It's a term I haven't used in some time. While most in Tamriel call my kind Argonian, we prefer the term Saxhleel."
If you are an Argonian:
- "Forgive me. It's a term I haven't used in some time. While most in Tamriel would call us Argonian, we prefer the term Saxhleel."
Either way, he will continue.
- "Madesi was actually my original Saxhleel name. Unlike others, I decided to embrace tradition and keep it that way."
A Chance ArrangementEdit
He can sometimes be heard talking with various people while he is at his stall. Dinya Balu is one of them.
- Dinya Balu: "When are you going to stop by the temple, Madesi?"
- Madesi: "Sorry Lady Dinya, but I've been busy of late."
- Dinya Balu: "It only takes but a moment to say a silent prayer to Mara. Please come by soon; not for me, but for yourself."
- Madesi: "Very well, I'll try milady."
Shadr also stops by.
- Shadr: "Here's another septim, Madesi. How much more do I need?"
- Madesi: "Only thirty more and it'll be all yours. If I might ask, who is the lucky woman?"
- Shadr: "It's for Marise, but don't say a word to her!"
- Madesi: "Don't worry, Shadr, your secret is safe with me."
Mjoll the Lioness stops by to check up on Madesi.
- Madesi: "Hello, Lady Mjoll."
- Mjoll the Lioness: "Madesi, my friend. How have things been since last week's incident?"
- Madesi: "Ever since you scared off that thug from the Thieves Guild, not one of them's bothered me. We're lucky to have you here."
- Mjoll the Lioness: "It's my pleasure. If you see the Thieves Guild harassing anyone else, you be sure and let me know."
Maven Black-Briar stops by to threaten him.
- Madesi: "Lady Maven, how may I help you?"
- Maven Black-Briar: "Is it true that you refused to sell one of your... trinkets to Hemming?"
- Madesi: "Please, milady, it was only because he threatened me. He said he'd have me thrown in the prisons if I didn't give him what he wanted! I can't afford to just give my jewelry away!"
- Maven Black-Briar: "Next time a Black-Briar asks for something, I suggest you respond quickly and affirmatively."
Drifa stops by the stall to bargain.
- Drifa: "We got a few pieces of jewelry at the Prawn, Madesi. Want to come take a look at them later?"
- Madesi: "I wish I could, milady. Sadly, I haven't sold enough of my own jewelry let alone buy some from you. I'm sorry."
- Drifa: "Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm certain Bolli would be happy to lend you a few septims."
- Madesi: "Much appreciated, Lady Drifa, but I'll manage."
Haelga comes around to pick up an order from Madesi.
- Madesi: "Lady Haelga, so pleased to see you. Your Marks of Dibella are ready."
- Haelga: "Oh, splendid! I can't wait to use them."
- Madesi: "Begging your pardon milady... I know these have something to do with Dibella, but whatever are they for?"
- Haelga: "Maybe I'll show you one day, Madesi. Have them delivered to the Bunkhouse, won't you?"
Tythis Ulen seems worried when he comes by.
- Tythis Ulen: "Madesi, have you heard the Imperials might be headed this way? What would we do?"
- Madesi: "They aren't invading, milord... it's simply a response to Ulfric and his Stormcloaks. I assure you everything will be fine."
- Tythis Ulen: "But I've heard from the Snow-Shods that they intend to burn this place to the ground!"
- Madesi: "Tythis, please. The Snow-Shods are good people, but tend to exaggerate. Try and stay calm for your own sake."
Bolli stops by to clear up a mess.
- Bolli: "Madesi, what's this bill for 300 septims!"
- Madesi: "Begging your pardon, milord. Your wife has run up quite an account in the last few months."
- Bolli: "Outrageous! Who does she think she is?!"
- Madesi: "I believe she's trying to look as ravishing as possible for you, milord."
- Bolli: "Oh, well... I suppose that's a noble cause. I'll settle this bill at the end of the day. Thank you."
Nivenor stops to make a purchase.
- Madesi: "Ah, Nivenor. What can I sell you on this fine day?"
- Nivenor: "I'm looking for a necklace. Do you have anything with garnets?"
- Madesi: "I have a single one left, quite expensive, but also quite elegant."
- Nivenor:"Posh. I'm not paying for it. Put it on Bolli's account if you please."
At Haelga's Bunkhouse, he may have further conversations. One is a disagreement with Grelka.
- Grelka: "Hey, greenskin... close your mouth. Some of us are trying to eat over here."
- Madesi: "There's no need to be rude, Grelka. If you don't care for Argonians, then perhaps you should take residence somewhere else."
- Grelka: "Or perhaps you should crawl back into whatever swamp you came from, lizard man."
- Madesi: "You're not going to goad me into a fight so I'll get kicked out, Grelka. Eat your food and leave me in peace."
Svana Far-Shield attempts to convince Madesi to sleep at the bunkhouse.
- Svana Far-Shield: "Madesi, why don't you just take a bed here? There's no need to sleep in Beggar's Row."
- Madesi: "The cold stone, the dampness... it suits me, Svana."
- Svana Far-Shield: "Are you sure that's the real reason? It wouldn't have anything to do with others making an Argonian unwelcome, because if it is..."
- Madesi: "You have a kind heart; much too kind for Riften. Don't worry about me, I'll be just fine."
- There is a "Loot" shadowmark on his market stall.