|Primary Skills||Heavy Armor, One-handed, Archery, Block|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionPale; DawnstarBrinaHouseFaction; Imperial Government; TownDawnstarFaction|
Horik Halfhand, a Nord warrior, is a retired Legionnaire, and is undyingly loyal to his former commander, Brina Merilis, even after retirement. He proudly dons his old Legion armor despite the displeasure it causes Skald, the Stormcloak-allied Jarl of the Pale. When you first arrive in Dawnstar, you will find Horik accompanying Brina while she argues with Jarl Skald. After the argument, the three will return to their normal schedules. Horik wakes up at 8am to eat breakfast with Brina. He then leaves the house and follows her around town, pausing at noon and 6pm for one-hour meals. At 8pm they return to her house and spend some time there before going to bed at midnight.
Horik wears a set of Imperial armor, complete with boots, bracers, and a shield. In combat he wields an Imperial sword. He also carries clothes, the key to Brina's house, and a selection of middle-class items and gold.
When you are near him, he will tell you about what he does. Aside from his three greetings, Horik keeps much of his personal history to himself.
- "My duty is to guard Brina Merilis."
- "Watch your hands around the Legate."
- "I've been in the Legion all my life. I'm content to serve."
At Brina's house, you can overhear Brina asking him about his past, while he says that there is nothing to tell: he grew up on a farm, was orphaned at a young age, joined the Legion when he came of age, and has been with her ever since.
- Brina Merilis: "You never talk much about yourself, do you Horik? I swear, these past 30 years you've been at my side, and I think I barely know you."
- Horik Halfhand: "What's to say? I was born on a farm, joined the Legion when I came of age, and I've served you ever since."
- Brina Merilis: "What about your family? There must have been someone waiting for you back at the farm. Wondering if you were ever coming home?"
- Horik Halfhand: "No. Can't say there was. My parents died when I was young. You and the Legion have been my only family since."
- Brina Merilis: "I see. You're a good soldier, Horik. I'm sorry for intruding."
- Horik Halfhand: "You weren't. There's just not much to it."
After patrolling Dawnstar for the day, he and Brina will often converse in their house.
- Horik Halfhand: "Are you all right? You seem tired."
- Brina Merilis: "I'm fine, Horik. I just... are you worried about this war?"
- Horik Halfhand: "No. If we must fight, we will, and you will lead us to victory. As you always have."
- Brina Merilis: "With you by my side, is that right Horik?"
- Horik Halfhand: "Of course. I would have it no other way."
- Brina Merilis: "So much for old soldiers settling down to a life of luxury, eh?"
Should Brina be appointed as Jarl of the Pale through the course of the quest Reunification of Skyrim or Season Unending, Horik will become her housecarl and take his new position very seriously. Brina will also comment, "You should see the grin on Horik's face now that we're in charge. I know he hides it, but I can tell." He will also show more formality to Brina as their responsibilities change:
- Brina Merilis: "Just like old times, huh Horik? You and me fighting in a war over some forsaken scrap of land."
- Horik Halfhand: "Brings back memories. Do you have any orders for me, Legate?"
- Brina Merilis: "Keep the guard alert. I want to make sure no townspeople get hurt if there's trouble."
- Horik Halfhand: "Yes, Legate. No one is getting through us."
- Brina Merilis: "Shor's bones, I hope you're right."
Horik and Brina will occasionally talk about the ongoing civil war.
- Horik Halfhand: "We should go over our strategy again in case the Stormcloaks attack."
- Brina Merilis: "I don't think that's needed, Horik. It's the same strategy we used for every major defense during the Great War. It'll serve just as well now."
- Horik Halfhand: "Considering how the Great War ended, I think we need to be cautious about what we rely on."
- Brina Merilis: "Maybe you're right. I guess the battles I won yesterday won't win today's wars."
- Horik Halfhand: "I'm sorry, Legate. I didn't want to imply anything about your ability to lead. You're a hero to the Empire, and I...."
- Brina Merilis: "Oh, don't be such an old stick, Horik. I was joking. I can do that, you know. Redo the battle plans. I'll look over them later."
- Horik Halfhand: "Yes, Legate."
As housecarl, Horik is also notably more assertive than before, as he will openly show suspicion towards the court mage, Madena.
- Horik Halfhand: "I want you to know I don't trust you, Madena. And I'll be watching you."
- Madena: "I'll tell you the same thing I told Skald. I'm here to help the people of Dawnstar, not play politics. Point your suspicions of treachery elsewhere."
- Horik Halfhand: "So you say. We'll see if that's true when the Stormcloaks make their move."
- Madena: "Well, at the first sign of battle I'll be comfortably sitting in my room, waiting for it to end, so don't you worry."
You may overhear Madena offering to help Horik with his chronic pain.
- Madena: "I've seen you walking with a bit of pain sometimes, Horik."
- Horik Halfhand: "I'm fine, Madena."
- Madena: "I know old men sometimes have pains in their legs when they rise from bed. I know a few spells that could help."
- Horik Halfhand: "I said I'm fine, Madena. I won't have some court mage fixing me up like some magical experiment."
- Madena: "Still suspicious of me. Well, don't say I never offered."
- Game data lists Horik's relationship with Brina as lovers, as their relationship rank is 4.
- If the Stormcloaks retake Dawnstar from the Imperials, Horik and Brina will be exiled to the Winking Skeever, instead of the Blue Palace like other Imperial-aligned authorities.
- Horik Halfhand shares a surname with Rigmor Halfhand in Bloodmoon, the second expansion pack for Morrowind.