Raw Stalhrim is a rare material used by the ancient Nords in their burial rituals. It can only be mined by using the Ancient Nordic Pick Axe, which you will acquire one way or another by doing the East Empire Company Quests. It can be used to fashion Ice Armor, a good quality Medium Armor. It is also used to make Stalhrim weapons. There are only 26 samples available, and they do not respawn. If you side with Falco Galenus, you can have armor and weapons made from Stalhrim by Aenar and his associates. Each armor or weapon piece will require one piece of Raw Stalhrim. If you side with Carnius Magius instead, he will give you armor and weapons in exchange for Raw Stalhrim, but you will need two pieces for each instead of just one. There are just barely enough pieces out there to get a complete set if you work for Carnius, but you will need to find nearly every single one. This is one distinct benefit of following Falco's quests instead.
The 26 pieces of Raw Stalhrim are spread throughout 17 locations:
- 3 in Bloodskal Barrow — A burial ground on the northern border of the Hirstaang Forest, north-northwest of Raven Rock.
- 3 in Kolbjorn Barrow — A burial ground south of Raven Rock and west of Fort Frostmoth.
- 3 in Valbrandr Barrow — A burial ground located northeast of the Sun Stone and Skogsdrake Barrow.
- 2 in Frosselmane Barrow — A small burial ground located east of Fort Frostmoth, between the mouth of the Iggnir River and the inlet to its west.
- 2 in Gyldenhul Barrow — A small burial ground located on an island off the Felsaad Coast.
- 2 in Tombs of Skaalara — An important cavern for the main quest which is located on the eastern coast of the island, southeast from Skaal Village.
- 1 in the mine at Raven Rock — A small Imperial mining colony.
- 1 in Connorflenge Barrow — A small burial ground east of Uncle Sweetshare's Workshop, along the coast.
- 1 in Eddard Barrow — A small burial ground located halfway up the continent from Fort Frostmoth, northeast of Raven Rock.
- 1 in Gandrung Caverns — A small smugglers hideout northeast of Fort Frostmoth.
- 1 in Glenschul's Tomb — A small tomb just southeast of Lake Fjalding.
- 1 in Himmelhost Barrow — A small burial ground just east of the Iggnir River, about halfway between the mouth and the east shore.
- 1 in Hrothmund's Barrow — A burial ground located southwest of Castle Karstaag.
- 1 in Kelsedolk Barrow — The tomb of a deceased Nord located on the western coast, a short distance south from Raven Rock.
- 1 in Lukesturm Barrow — A small barrow located directly south of Thirsk and northeast of Brodir Grove.
- 1 in Skogsdrake Barrow — A medium-sized burial ground just north of the Sun Stone.
- 1 in Stormpfund Barrow — A medium-sized burial ground just west and a bit north of Fort Frostmoth.
- Stál hrím is Icelandic for 'steel frost'.