|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
This article is about the Dawnguard quest. For the game you can play with children, see Hide and Seek (game).
Speak with Gunmar in Fort Dawnguard and tell him you are ready to offer some help. He has located the whereabouts of a vampire masquerading as a common citizen. He wants you to track him down and dispose of him. Your target would be a Traveling Bard, Traveling Pilgrim, or Visiting Advisor at a radiant city or town (this can include Raven Rock if Dragonborn is installed). However, the law is unaware of the danger and will treat you as a criminal if you're caught. He will advise you to act discretely and be vigilant about the law.
Travel to your destination and identify your target. You may talk to him and expose him as a vampire. He will initially deny it. "I beg your pardon, sir/ma'am. I don't know what you're getting at, but whatever it is, it's not appreciated." Keep an eye on him and other potential witnesses. Take advantage of the darkness and kill him in sneak mode. Alternatively, you can ask him to come with you, if you can pass a speech check.
|I want to show you something. It's important. You really must come. (Persuade)
||Passed: Monster? What monster? Don't know what
game is, but I'll humor for a moment. Lead the way. Take me to this "monster" of yours. But I'm warning you, do anything funny, and you'll regret it.|
Failed: What are you talking about? I don't know anything about any monsters.
|Passed: Make the target follow you
|Follow me, or you'll regret it. (Intimidate)||Passed: Settle down. No need for threats. Lead the way. But I'm warning you, I'm not afraid to fight you if I have to.
Failed: I'm no so easily coerced. I've got my eye on you. Try anything, and you will be the one who regrets it.
|Passed: Make the target follow you
It would be safer to kill him in the wilderness. You can also lead him to some dangerous places, like a Dragon Lair, and let some hostile creatures do you a "favor".
Return to Gunmar with the good news, he will be very satisfied. "Very good. That's one less monster we need to worry about. Though there's plenty more where he came from. Be ever watchful." Then enjoy your reward.
- The Traveling Pilgrim will be detected with Detect Life rather than Detect Dead, despite allegedly being a vampire, and produces Vampire Dust when killed.
- Attacking the vampire before he is hostile and killing him will increase your murder count statistic in your journal, regardless if you are detected or receive a bounty. One way to avoid this is to cast a Frenzy spell on him first. You can alternatively kill him as a werewolf or if Dragonborn is installed, use the Bend Will shout to command a dragon to kill him.
- (DB) If your quest arrow does not appear, your target may be on Solstheim. Traveling to Solstheim will make the arrow appear in the relevant location.
- If you are hidden when you attack the Pilgrim, you will not receive a bounty, but any guard within eyesight of him when he dies will turn hostile and attack you, although no other guards and few NPCs will side with them in the fight. If you are within sight of another NPC when you kill that guard, you will receive a bounty for murder. If you instead leave town, without or without the hostile guard chasing you, you are then free to kill the guard, yield to them by sheathing your weapon, or simply run away, any of which will result in no bounty.
- Any follower you have with you will immediately attack the hostile guard. As long as you aren't within sight of that guard and another NPC when your follower kills the guard, you won't receive a bounty.
- Entering a player-owned home while being chased by the guard will immediately end hostilities with no bounty accrued.
- Sometimes after killing the target without being seen, a single nearby Hold guard will become hostile. They won't attempt to stop you for a bounty (since there isn't one) and no other guards will be hostile to you.
- The quest was intended to go to a bard, merchant, or pilgrim, but instead of a merchant, a visiting advisor will be chosen. If so, there won't be any dialogue to convince him to come with you.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.2 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.
- Sometimes the vampire will spawn inside of a buyable house meaning they cannot be reached unless it has been purchased.
|Hide and Seek (DLC1RH01)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||Gunmar has sent me to <Alias=Habitation>. I am to find and kill the vampire masquerading as a <Alias=Target>. I am to do so discreetly as the law is unaware of the threat and will assume I have murdered a citizen.
Objective 10: Discreetly kill <Alias=Target>
Objective 100: Return to Gunmar
|255||I found and killed the vampire masquerading as a <Alias=Target> in <Alias=Habitation>.|
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 1.