The starting values for Speed vary by race and gender:
The following classes receive a +10 Bonus to Speed:
- Since there is no fast-traveling via the map in Morrowind, a higher Speed attribute can reduce the time to travel from location to location.
- Speed also increases the distance covered when jumping forward, allowing someone with a high Speed value to jump over larger gaps without the need for magic effects such as Levitate or Jump.
- Movement speed is heavily affected by a character's weight. For that reason, races such as Orcs or Nords can be surprisingly swift, despite the low starting speed. This also gives the heavier races a higher potential movement speed, as attributes and skills cap at 100 for all races, while weight is fixed
- A good way to increase your speed (temporarily) is to cast a 100% resist Magicka spell and then equip the Boots Of Blinding Speed, you will resist the blindness effect completely, so you use the boots without being blinded.
- The speed attribute does not effect the speed of most aquatic creatures due to a coding oversight, so trying to absorb, damage or drain the speed of these creatures is futile. This glitch is not fixed by OpenMW due to the heavy gameplay changes it would cause.