|Appears in||Arena, ESO|
The city was founded in 1E 2729 by the Colovian governor Zantonius, born in Kvatch. It became the main port and Imperial colony in the Kingdom of Grathwood, then an administrative division of the Second Empire in Valenwood.
In 2E 580 was incorporated to the First Aldmeri Dominion along with the rest of Camoran-controlled Valenwood after the Blacksap Rebellion was put down by Ayrenn and Aeradan Camoran joined forces. In 2E 582, Southpoint's citizens began killing one another in the streets and Dominion soldiers cordoned off the town. Sheogorath had taken control of the Mayor, but the Soulless One ended the madness, dealing with both the corrupt Imperial mayor and the Daedric Prince, and the city remained in the Dominion until its eventual dissolution.
In 2E 830, the city was again annexed by the Second Aldmeri Dominion after the intervention of Summerset in another Camoran civil war. However, the catastrophic use of the Numidium by Tiber Septim resulted in the conquest of both the entirely of Valenwood and the Summerset Isles in 2E 896, ending the Second Aldmeri Dominion control of the settlement, which was incorporated to the Third Empire.
During the Third Era, the city remained in Empire hands except for the Camoran Usurper Rebellion between 3E 249 and 3E 267. During the Imperial Simulacrum in the late Third Era, the city-state of Southpoint was an active settlement. It was ruled by Queen Mindra, and it had a rivalry with Eldenroot and Haven. Southpoint was neighbored by several settlements, including Green Hall to the northeast, and Stonesquare to the north. The Oblivion Crisis that ended the Third Era and weakened the Empire provided the opportunity for the Thalmor to seized the Summerset Isles. In 4E 29, a Thalmor-backed coup overthrew Valenwood's government, routing Imperial forces and their Bosmer supporters. Alinor and Valenwood then proclaimed a union, and a new Aldmeri Dominion was formed. The city fell into Aldmeri hands for the third time in history.
- Arena was originally conceived as a fighting game featuring a tournament that took the player to each of Tamriel's cities to challenge different gladiatorial teams. According to a file from that stage of development left behind in the final game, Southpoint's gladiatorial team would have been called "the Chimeras".[UOL 1]
- Map of Valenwood
- The Founding of Southpoint — the Provincial Office of Governor Zantonius
- Welcome to New Aldmeri Irregulars — Aicantar of Shimmerene, Sapiarch of Indoctrination
- The Rise of Cormount
- Events of ESO
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Aldmeri Dominion — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Brief History of the Empire v 1 — Stronach k'Thojj III
- The Refugees — Geros Albreigh
- The Fall of the Usurper — Palaux Illthre
- Southpoint location and rumors in Arena
- Map of Valenwood — The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Great War — Legate Justianus Quintius
- The description of "Xarxes' Memory" Worship Candle in ESO
Note: the following references are not from official sources. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.