|The Thu'um rushes forward, carrying you in its wake with the speed of a tempest.|
|Wuld||Range: ~50 feet||20||0002f7be|
|Wuld Nah||Range: ~75 feet||25||0002f7bf|
|Wuld Nah Kest||Range: ~100 feet||35||0002f7c0|
This shout carries you horizontally, so do not use it to go down slopes; you will find yourself in mid-air when the sprint ends.
- Charging a distant archer/mage.
- Escaping a much stronger enemy.
- Jumping to an area enemies cannot reach in order to hit them with ranged attacks without retaliation.
- Escaping from various glitches that cause you to get stuck in the scenery.
- Faster travel, particularly when overencumbered.
- If you hold an object against any locked door or hidden path to another cell and use Whirlwind Sprint, you will jump into the holding space behind the door or path. There is no way back except by use of the console, or if the lock is actually pickable. This glitch is best used on doors blocking access through to the same cell, (i.e., no loading screens normally required).
- Bypass floor traps and triggers, and avoid swinging blades.
There are many hidden areas that are only accessible via this shout (or the Vampire Lord's Bats power). This is only a list of places where valuable loot can be found.
- Ansilvund: Outside Ansilvund is a tower. From the rocks above the entrance to Ansilvund it is possible to jump to the top of the tower and access a high-leveled chest.
- Ustengrav: In Ustengrav Depths above the waterfall, there is a series of broken pillars that can be used to access a hidden room with a skeleton and some leveled potions.
- Yngvild: Midway through the caves there is a large circular shaft with a central column; behind the column is a locked chest.
- Nchuand-Zel: In the Nchuand-Zel Excavation Site, there is a large, egg-shaped room at the west end of the local map just before you encounter the first spider. In the northwest corner of this room, you can jump up onto a wooden structure, then climb up the rocks sticking out of the wall. Once at the top, use Whirlwind Sprint to cross over to the crippled stonework ledge for a small unlocked chest.
- Shroud Hearth Barrow: In the last area in Shroud Hearth Depths, to the left of the word wall, there is a collapsed bridge that leads to several items.
- Reachwater Rock: There is a chest on the ledge of the main chamber opposite the entrance to the crypt.
- Shadowgreen Cavern: There is a boss level chest on the far side of the chasm, accessible with a level 3 whirlwind Sprint.
- The two-word version of this shout gives you the highest amount of distance traveled per second of recharge time. To elaborate, the one-word version allows you to travel 2.5 feet per second of recharge, the two-word version grants the best distance of 3 feet per second of recharge, while the three-word version provides a slightly shorter distance of 2.85 feet per second of recharge.
- While there are three word wall texts for this shout, only two of them will appear in any single game; the Greybeards will teach you one of the words.
- If used while swimming, upon exiting the water, or jumping, as with all shouts, Whirlwind Sprint will immediately activate. This allows for a quick boost should you jump out of water, sending you the normal distance in whatever direction you are facing when you exit the water.
- This also may cause undesired effects if you unintentionally use it and exit the water. To counteract this, just before exiting, simply jump in the opposite direction you intend to go.
Word Wall TranslationsEdit
|Wuld||HET NOK KOPR1N DO
WYNJOLF F1L WULD WEN
V3NT1S TUZ V9 Z2M L4VU
DO R4GRON OG3M
|Here lies [the] body of
Wynjolf the Whirlwind whose
shining blade cut through an army
of gods-bind Orcs.
|HET NOK KOPRaaN DO
WYNJOLF FaaL WULD WEN
ViiNTaaS TUZ Vey ZeiM LahVU
DO RahGRON OGiiM
|Nah||NONVUL BRON D4M1N D1R
ROT DO FIN FOD3Z BORM4
OBLIVION L8ST NID N4 MED
SP1N V4DIN B9N
|Noble Nord, remember these
words of the Hoar Father -
Oblivion hath no fury like
[a] shield maiden scorned.
|NONVUL BRON DahMaaN DaaR
ROT DO FIN FODiiZ BORMah
OBLIVION LooST NID Nah MED
SPaaN VahDIN BeyN
|Kest||BEKKHILD W4L1N QETHSEGOL
4MUL3 V4RUKT EYOLF WEN
V9SUN LOS SIZ1N KO VUL
KEST KO OK1Z DO LUV
|Bekkhild raised [this] stone
[in her] husband's memory, Eyolf, whose
ship was lost in [a] dark
tempest in [the] Sea of Tears.
|BEKKHILD WahLaaN QETHSEGOL
ahMULii VahRUKT EYOLF WEN
VeySUN LOS SIZaaN KO VUL
KEST KO OKaaZ DO LUV
- When using Whirlwind Sprint in certain ruins and dungeons, it is possible to clip through a stationary object and become trapped behind it. For instance, using Whirlwind Sprint near a bookshelf or cupboard will cause you to travel behind it and be unable to move out of that location.
- Sometimes when this shout is used, the sound effect of your character shouting will be delayed until you finish dashing.
- If you are over-encumbered and have a weapon equipped and sheathed, using Whirlwind Sprint while in third-person mode and immediately unsheathing your weapon will cause you to move extremely fast for a short time in whatever direction you are facing while shouting. This may drop your framerate on low-end systems as you travel a great distance. (This bug also works while not over-encumbered but the effect is not nearly as pronounced nor as long-lasting.)
- After learning the first word of this shout from the Greybeards, but before they bow and give you the knowledge to use it, you can enter the menu and unlock it yourself with one of your own dragon souls. If you do this, the second word will be prematurely unlocked once you do absorb their knowledge.