|Respawn Time||10 days or 30 days|
|Dragon, Necromancer, Skeletons|
|Console Location Code(s)|
|DragonLair07Exterior01, DragonLair07Exterior02, DragonLair07Exterior03, DragonLair07Exterior04|
|South of Riften
Southeast of Darklight Tower
- Bounty: Dragon: Kill a dragon in its lair. (radiant)
- Dragon Seekers: Go to a dragon lair with Farkas or Vilkas and kill the dragon. (radiant)
- Note: This location is one of many potential targets for one or more of the radiant quests found on this page.
Lost Tongue OverlookEdit
The path to the lair is a short way past Snow-Shod Farm going south from Riften. It wends its way around before reaching a fork in the path; taking the left-hand path takes you past a dragon mound. Several flights of stairs lead up to the lair. (The path continues past here and passes Crystaldrift Cave before making a full loop.) By the start of the stairs is the first of several piles of rocks marking the route. Up two flights of stairs, you'll find a fire rune on a stone semiarch to your right, which can be easily avoided by moving left. After moving up another flight of stairs, you'll find a switchback in the path with an iron ore vein. Two flights up, there is a spellcaster trap on your left that unleashes the Ice Storm spell when triggered. It is possible to climb nearly to the top of the stairs and snipe the soul gem from the pillar with an arrow. This will deactivate it. Alternatively, you can try going left around the stone and approaching it from behind. The next flight of stairs brings you to a plateau. There are a few stone pillars and arches which are remnants of the structure that once stood there. The word wall lies just east-southeast from the plateau.
Before the dragons' return a skeleton will be creaking along the stairs next to the iron ore vein. On the plateau, there are two skeletons who will attack on sight. Near the word wall is a leveled boss necromancer and an altar with a lootable skeleton, leveled potion, soul gem and The Book of Daedra on its top. The necromancer's tent just to the west contains a bedroll and a table with a plate, grilled leeks, necromancer robes, and a staff on it. There is an open cage holding a dead Breton and an ash pile to the east.
After the dragons' return, a burnt carriage will be found near the entrance path below. On the plateau are a couple of burnt corpses that can be looted for a few septims or a sample of bone meal. If the leveled dragon hasn't detected you yet, it will be resting atop the wall.
Regardless of whether Dragon Rising has been completed, the boss chest is next to the word wall.
- It is possible to ride a horse up the east slope of the hill, and avoid the trail and spellcaster trap altogether.
- After Dragon Rising, there is an unburned corpse located to the east of the first plateau. It is a few paces past the easternmost stone pillar and right next to a large rock, and wears a Stormcloak helmet and cuirass.
- At times, the spellcaster trap will not appear (or the trap will be there but the soul gem won't); however, it will continue to operate with no way to disable it. It will also kill you in one hit regardless of health.
- It is possible that the spellcaster trap will continue to operate even though the soul gem was shot down from the trap. Sometimes this can happen if you make a follower pick up the soul gem or if it gets dislodged without picking it up. Walk around the outside edge of the pillar to avoid the spell.
- The dragon may become stuck to the word wall, and will be invincible. Revisiting the area at a later date appears to fix this.
- Sometimes the sound effects will play; however, you may not be able to obtain the word of power from the wall due to the word not lighting up.