They are often found in large groups which will swarm unwary prey quickly and lethally, some specimens have been known to grow at least twice as large than average due to plentiful meals. Slaughterfish tend to prefer foul waters but can thrive in a variety of aquatic environments across Tamriel, such as deep inland lakes and underground rivers. They have even been sighted in the heavily polluted, oily waters of the Clockwork City, where most other fish species had been rendered near-extinct.
In both the Second and Third Eras, Lake Rumare in central Cyrodiil was known for its unusually large and aggressive population of slaughterfish, the infestation so extreme that by 2E 582, swimming in the lake was considered certain death. By the time of 3E 433 and the Oblivion Crisis, the slaughterfish population had diverged into two, with the appearance of the Rumare Slaughterfish, a larger variety native to the lake. The slaughterfish of the Iliac Bay are known to average around six feet in length. In Wrothgar there were records of a rare breed of slaughterfish known as the Crab-Slaughter-Crane, that was said to be big enough to "swallow a mudcrab and a crane in one gulp".
With this fish being so prevalent, slaughterfish bites are a somewhat common occurrence and dangerous enough to maim limbs. This had lead to lucrative market for slaughterfish preventatives and cures, with products ranging from alchemical slurries marketed as repellent to books full of remedies, the success of these products being mixed. Some fishermen were known to use enchanted bobbers which glow green in the presence of slaughterfish. Another health risk associated with the fish, is that it is a carrier for the Greenspore disease, which can cause mental issues such as dementia.
Various parts of the slaughterfish have been found to hold value, their scales and eggs are prized by alchemists for their alchemical properties, while their sharp teeth prove useful when used to enhance grappling hooks. They are also fit for consumption and due to the species' widespread range, there are numerous culinary traditions involving slaughterfish. In Vvardenfell, the scales are dried and consumed as a "crunchy treat" by the locals, whilst disdaining slaughterfish flesh, describing it as "meally and noisome". However, in Nordic areas, such as Bleakrock Isle, stone-cooked splayed slaughterfish was considered a delicacy, while on the mainland, seared slaughterfish is a common meal. Both the Maormer and sailors are known to smoke slaughterfish while out at sea by using fire salts for cooking. Meanwhile in the heartland of Cyrodiil, slaughterfish pie was well known in the Lake Rumare area.
- Giant Slaughterfish from Oblivion
- A Guide to Fishing Tamriel — "The Old Slaughterfish"
- Daggerfall User's Guide
- Slaughterfish appearance in the mission Submerged Aquaduct during Return to Clockwork City
- Numerous Slaughterfish Warning signs were posted around the lake and connecting waterways at this time.
- Events during Oblivion
- The Crab-Slaughter-Crane from Wrothgar
- Aelwin Merowald's dialogue in Oblivion
- Slaughterfish Repellent item description.
- 1001 Remedies For Slaughterfish Bites Field Guide item description.
- Slaughterfish Bobber item description.
- Mehra Drora's dialogue in Morrowind
- Slaughterfish-Tooth Grappel item description.
- Anarenen's dialogue in Morrowind
- Eiman's Fishy Secrets — Eiman
- Slaughterfish Cooking Rock item description.
- Seared Slaughterfish With Mammoth Cheese recipe ESO
- How To Prepare Slaughterfish
- Rumare Slaughterfish Pie recipe in ESO