After speaking to Arctus, you will find out that Dementia's ritual is far less refined than Mania's. Replacing Syl entails a simple and brutal assassination; to find out more about her routine, the High Priest recommends you start by questioning her courtiers.
Converse with the CourtEdit
Ask Syl's maid, Anya Herrick, about her Duchess and she will inform you that Syl is staying out of sight because she fears Sheogorath wants her replaced. Raise her disposition to at least 60 and she will offer to assist you by distracting the guards.
Speak with Kithlan and raise his disposition to 60. He'll confess he's also getting tired of Syl, and will give you the key to her wing of the Palace.
It isn't Paranoia...Edit
The Dark Seducer guards in the Private Gardens will now attack you on sight. Fight them off and enter the Duchess's quarters to find Syl, lying dead on the bed. Unfortunately, Kithlan will appear and inform you that it is not really Syl, but a mere double. He will then elaborate: Syl has escaped through a network of hidden tunnels beneath the palace.
...When the Threat is RealEdit
Activate the bust of Sheogorath in the garden and enter Xirethard. The whole dungeon is designed to ambush the unwary assassin, so be aware at all times. In particular, you will be faced with a series of hunger statue traps in a grid pattern - the easiest way to negotiate these is to stick to the walls and look around before crossing an open space. After fighting or sneaking your way past the various guards you should arrive in a room with two Royal Dark Seducers standing around a wrecked table. Deal with them how you like and search for a switch on a pillar to the left of the north wall (if from the entrance, look directly left). This will reveal a secret passageway, continue to follow this path until you locate a large room with two Royal Dark Seducers and Syl, now clad in Mazken armor and wielding the mighty Nerveshatter. If you wish to avoid close combat with all three, it is possible to snipe at Syl just after opening the door. Once the Duchess is dead, retrieve her heart and backtrack to the palace.
Complete the RitualEdit
Return to the Sacellum Arden-Sul and activate the altar. Once you have witnessed a bright flash of light, speak to Arctus and Sheogorath, who will appear in the pews to the rear of the Sacellum, to complete your ascension to the throne of Dementia. A short while afterwards, Thadon will enter and berate Sheogorath for the death of Syl. He will angrily reveal that the Fringe is under attack and express his intention to defect to the Forces of Order. After he leaves, Sheogorath will present you with the Ring of Lordship and the power to summon a Dark Seducer for 60 seconds a day, along with a dire new task.
- It is not imperative that you access Xirethard through the secret passage - you can also enter through the main entrance located just outside New Sheoth. The only advantage is you will avoid the above mentioned hunger statue traps.
- There is a hidden chest named the 'Dark Chest of Wonders', located in Xirethard. It contains the Ring of the Oceanborn
- You can re-enter Xirethard through the secret entrance in The Private Gardens of Dementia at any point after the quest has been completed.
- Upon successfully completing the quest, a trophy of Syl's heart will appear in an alcove in Sheogorath's Palace.
- An achievement will be unlocked upon completing this quest. A separate achievement is also available for the Ritual of Mania.
- If you kill Syl before disposing of her Dark Seducer bodyguard, you will receive a 1000 gold bounty for murder, and your Murders statistic will increase if you kill her afterwards.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.
- If you use the Staff of Worms on Syl's double's body and kill it, you will get the quest update telling you to take her heart out.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.
- Upon completion of this quest, there is a chance of the game freezing when Thadon comes in. You can still look around and enter the pause menu, but Thadon never appears.
|Ritual of Dementia (SE07A)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|5||To learn more about Syl's routine, I should begin by asking around New Sheoth about Syl to determine the best way to get close enough to kill her.|
|10||I've discovered that Syl tends to stay out of public sight, and lets members of her court perform her day-to-day needs. It was suggested I seek out Anya Herrick, her Courtier and Kithlan, her Steward for more information. Perhaps if I can convince them to see things my way, I'll get some help from them.|
|15||I've informed Anya Herrick of my plans to replace Syl. She seems somewhat hesitant, but claims she will create a distraction and rid the interior of the Dementia wing of the Palace of its Elite Dark Seducers. I should now attempt to speak with Kithlan. (If the player talks to Anya first) or
I've informed Kithlan of my plans to replace Syl. He seems eager to help, and has provided me with a key to the Dementia wing of the Palace. I should now attempt to speak with Anya Herrick. (If the player talks to Kithlan first)
|20||I've informed Anya Herrick of my plans to replace Syl. She seems somewhat hesitant, but claims she will create a distraction and rid the interior of the Dementia wing of the Palace of its Elite Dark Seducers. I should now infiltrate Syl's wing of the Palace, and end the Duchess of Dementia's life. (If the player talked to Kithlan first) or
I've informed Kithlan of my plans to replace Syl. He seems eager to help, and has provided me with a key to the Dementia wing of the Palace. I should now infiltrate Syl's wing of the Palace, and end the Duchess of Dementia's life. (If the player talked to Anya first)
|22||I've entered Syl's Private Chambers. I now need to locate Syl herself and put an end to her reign as Duchess of Dementia.|
|25||I've been duped! The woman in Syl's bed was merely a decoy. Kithlan has told me that Syl must have used her escape tunnel to make good her escape from the Palace. I should immediately pursue Syl before she gets away.|
|28||I have discovered the secret door Kithlan described. I should activate the hidden switch and proceed inside in pursuit of Syl.|
|30||I've slain Syl. I should now remove her heart.|
|35||I've removed Syl's heart. I now need to make my way back to the Altar of Arden-Sul at the Sacellum.|
|40||After touching the Altar of Arden-Sul, there was a brief flash of light. Arctus, the High Priest of Dementia, has now proclaimed me Duchess of Dementia. (If the player has a female character) or
After touching the Altar of Arden-Sul, there was a brief flash of light. Arctus, the High Priest of Dementia, has now proclaimed me Duke of Dementia. (If the player has a male character)
|45||After informing Sheogorath of my victory, Thadon, the Duke of Mania became furious. Before he departed the Sacellum, he threatened that we hadn't heard the last of him. I should speak with Sheogorath about the next step in his plan.|
|200||Sheogorath has awarded me the Ring of Lordship. I am now officially Duchess of Dementia of the Shivering Isles. (If the player has a female character) or
Sheogorath has awarded me the Ring of Lordship. I am now officially Duke of Dementia of the Shivering Isles. (If the player has a male character)
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage SE07A stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: Ritual of Accession||Up: Main Quest||Next: Retaking the Fringe|