You Scratch My Back...Edit
Once you reach level 5, Cyndassa the maid will offer information in exchange for a favor. She is found in one of the back rooms of Castle Daggerfall, to the left of the stairs leading up to the throne. Talk to her and she will say:
- "Hey, if I told you I could give you a bit of information, let's say, about that letter of milady, would you be innerested there, (player's first name)? I thought so. Now, mind you, I ain't givin' it away. Before I scratch yer back, you gotta scratch mine. Deal?"
Accept her offer and she will elaborate:
- "Me name is Cyndassa. Daggerfall. I'll tell you everything I know, but I don't need to remind you that there ain't no such thing as free info, do I, (player's name)? I'm just a maid to her highness, nothing but a fleck to the world, and my needs ain't big. I need this werewolf done in. I know just where it is -- some (random god) forsook hole called (dungeon). I can't tell you why, but it's important to me that that werewolf gets put outta its misery. I'll wait here for (time limit) days for you -- that oughta be plenty of time."
Slaying the WerebeastEdit
Travel to the dungeon Cyndassa named, find the werewolf inside, and kill it. There may be more than one werewolf depending on the type of dungeon and your character's level, but you must slay the specified target creature to successfully complete the quest. When the werewolf dies, you receive the following message:
- The body of the werewolf begins to transform before your very eyes. In just a few minutes, it has become a young man who seems to bear a strong resemblance to Cyndassa.
Return to Cyndassa after killing the werewolf and she will say:
- "It's dead then, is it? Poor thing. He used to be my brother. If you ask me, he died long ago, when he first got bit. He hated himself when he became that beast. I wish there'd been another way to help him.
- I promised I'd tell you about that letter yer lookin for, didn't I now? Of course, I remember that letter, (player's name). It's not every day that you gets a letter from the Emperor himself, especially seein' as the King ain't too fond of him. 'Fact, that's the only letter I ever seen from him. I give it to her majesty, and she's all excited and she rip it open and says "this isn't for me, this is addressed to Mynisera." Then... boom! Her jaw fall open and her eyes get real wide. She say she'll make sure the Queen Mother gets it and that I don't have to worry myself none about it."
If you kill the werewolf within the time limit, you will gain reputation according to the table below.
|Court of Daggerfall||+18|
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered)
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest target: One Werewolf
- There is an alternative quest path included with Donald Tipton's patched quest, which can be found inside of File:QUESTPAK.ZIP. This alternative quest offers a couple of unique features; see here for more information.
- The Daggerfall Chronicles refers to this quest as "The Beast".
- If you desire to become a werewolf, this quest offers an easily available opportunity; at least one werewolf is guaranteed to appear and the quest becomes available at a relatively low level.
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "The werewolf of (dungeon) has been terrifying (region) for weeks."
- "No one much cares about the werewolf of (dungeon) except its neighbors."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "That werewolf moved on, out of (dungeon). Migratory beasts they are."
- "Didn't expect that loop to live in (dungeon) for as long as it did."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "Some (player's race) adventurer came out of nowhere and slew the werewolf of (dungeon)."
- "The peasants who live around (dungeon) are happy the loop is gone."
|The Beast (S0000007)|
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): Cyndassa, the serving maid of Queen Aubk-i of Daggerfall has sent me to slay a werewolf holed up in (dungeon), for some reason. She can only pay me in information, and has promised to reveal what she knows of the Emperor's letter. I have (time limit) days to do this deed.|
|Prev: Privateer's Hold||Up: Main Quest||Next: The Emperor's Courier|