Skyrim talk:Glitches/Archive 1< Skyrim talk:Glitches
|This is an archive of past Skyrim talk:Glitches discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page, except for maintenance such as updating links.|
Sometimes when a Giant uses his club (in the downward striking motion), any human character might fly into the air. It has happened to me twice, once on myself, once on a Whiterun guard. --DarkDayzz 16:31, 11 November 2011 (UTC)
Found a Giants Club with a "Take Giant Club" option, (Damage 114 | Weight 38 | Value 1) But I cannot pick it up for some reason. --Reinkaos218 10:46, 25 November 2011 (ECT)
sneak (while overweight) for no additional speed penalty
you can sneak for no additional speed penalty by equipping a shield and holding it up - Cancerous1. It is also possible to acheive this by drawing an arrow to your bow, but not releasing the arrow. -A Us3d Napk1n
I'm getting a strange glitch/bug where the screen flickers between underwater and normal also splashing noises can be heard, both in and out of water in caves. During this graphical glitch I have the ability to run and walk underwater as if I was walking normally. Anyone else getting this? (Update: After extensive searching I found the problem was caused by using the Nvidia control panel to force VSync off, upon changing the option to the let 3D application decide glitch ceased.) -- Bellerophon
____ I also encountered this glitch during the battle for Whiterun. I was not using any of the Nvidia control panel settings, will check if it was caused by forcing Vsync off in the ini file. After removing switching ipresentInterval=0 to 1(turning vsync back on in Skyrim.ini) the problem resolved itself. It appears that any method of forcing vsync off causes this glitch. Hopefully a patch will be released soon. 188.8.131.52 01:49, 25 November 2011 (UTC)--anon
Various things I have encountered (require confirmation)
OK, so this is a list of a few glitches that my friends and I have come across. Obviously, they need to be checked by others before publishing on the wiki that's why I'm putting them on the talk page for now .
- When over-encumbered:
- Pulling out your bow and nocking an arrow will allow to walk slightly faster.
- Repeatedly power attacking will cause you to lunge forward.
- There are many areas on mountains that cannot be climbed on foot but your horse can carry you up almost any non-vertical mountainside.(yes, and from various youtube videos, everyone does it)184.108.40.206 01:36, 25 November 2011 (UTC)anon2
- You can have a companion and dog at the same time. Get a companion and then buy a dog from the kennel master outside of Markarth.(Not sure if this is a glitch)220.127.116.11 01:36, 25 November 2011 (UTC)anon2 -- This is not a glitch. It is meant to work that way.
on this note you can get the dog from the clavicus vile quest and not complete the quest. he follows you around, doesn't count as a campanion and is invincible. i did complete the quest though because he kept pushing me and attracting enemies attention.
- Giants and mammoths refuse to go in water. They're easily killed with arrows if you attack them and then run into a body of water.
- Free archery training. If you have Faendal as a companion, ask him to train you in archery. Afterwards you can trade inventory with him and get your gold back. (this is my favorite)
I was standing on a wooden pier over a river in the wilderness when a wolf attacked me. When I killed it (in one of the slow-motion kills), I found my self immedietaly trapped under the pier; I had to use
TCL to get out. Can anyone else replicate this? --Halfstache 07:56, 13 November 2011 (UTC)
- It was most likely weak wall polygons. It is very difficult to replicate. Do you know which pier it was (there are a lot after all) Azure_King 06:18, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
I am not entirely sure if this is a glitch; What I have noticed is that I can let a follower steal items right in front of the owner's nose, as long as the owner does not see me (the player). When I am detected by anyone they can also see my follower perform these crimes.
I will add which follower I noticed this with on request. I left it out now because I'm not sure whether that is considered a spoiler.
When attempting to cast a "Raise Dead" type spell on a dragon's corpse, then dragon's body will be catapulted into the air, in whatever direction you were looking at. I get it. "Raise" dead :-p. May be an easter egg instead of a glitch? Nah, probably a glitch. --IsmAvatar (18.104.22.168 22:24, 13 November 2011 (UTC) )
night mother voice
at the bit with the nightmother in the darkbrotherhood when you have to hide in her coffin and her bodie glows as shes talking theres no voice not sure if this is a glitch game mechanic or an audio file they forgot about or just my tv not playing along im playing on the 360 tho she still has her subtitals appear The sorrow 23:09, 13 November 2011 (UTC)
I know that occasionally, if you are doing other, such as dashboard or those sorts of things, the audio might not play correctly. I didn't experience this problem (on PC) QuantizedBoson 16:02, 16 November 2011 (UTC)
I'm having the same problem on the PC version (using Windows XP, don't know if that matters). 22.214.171.124 23:39, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
Also having the same problem. On PC Win 7.
Infinite chances to improve your pickpocket skill.
Pickpocketing anyone can allow you to place money in their inventory. If you pickpocket a large amount of money on someone, you gain more EXP than from a small amount of gold. So pickpocket money into their coin purse then steal it back. This also works on Trainers when you give them money for training so you can gain 5 levels of the skill you wish to learn and 5 levels of pick pocket with a net cost of 0 gold. NOTICE: Do not give them TOO much gold or you won't be able to pickpocket it back without getting caught. Difficulty of pickpocketing gold is proportional to the amount of gold.
- This is not a glitch, it's a game mechanic -_-
When wearing the arch mage robes and waring the wooden mask it makes your head appear as tho its dissapeard tho the hood is up as if you have a head but there's nothing there on 360, unsure if this happens to other cloths with hoodsThe sorrow 18:11, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
- Exact same thing happened to me but I'm wearing one of the dragon priest mask...things, also on Xbox. I havn't found a solution yet and it's not really a big deal but if I find anything I'll add it.RIM 14:09, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
- This isn't just an Xbox bug, but it's been marked as such on the page. I've had the same problem with Morokei Mask and the Arch Mages robes, and I run the PC version. My face disappears. Sometimes it will reappear when I enter another area/reload a game. I've noticed this with Krosis and Nahkariin too. (Aresvallis 10:00, 22 November 2011 (UTC))
- my head in the game is completely gone. All that I have is a loody stump as if I was executed. When I reload the game head falls off, every time, gore and all.
- It's a general issue with any clothing "set" that has a hood on it. The Arch-Mage robes and the Thalmor robes come with a hood that, when you ALSO wear a mask of any kind, causes it to fail to load the texture for your mask.
- same problem here stupid nightnglehood
- If you use the console command TIM (toggle immortal mode), you will become immortal, and enemies can still perform finishing moves on you, but you will not die from them. If any enemy performs the "beheading" move on you, you will live through it, but now you won't have a head. (126.96.36.199 09:31, 14 December 2011 (UTC))
- yeah the same thing happened with me but I was wearing The Jagged Crown with a dragon mask after gaining Nahkrin --TheUnlivingDead-5:59 PM-28/December/2011
Companions getting stuck in "you're not supposed to be here" areas.
I'm not even sure if companions are supposed to say "You're not supposed to be here." when you're trespassing, but for me they do so you can't issue commands. If you tell your companion to wait right outside of the door of a trespassing area and then you enter the trespassing area your companion will enter as well but will not follow you around once inside. If you try to talk to them all they say is "You're not supposed to be here." thus making it impossible to make them follow you again since the command options will not come up. Drunkturtle 18:35, 14 November 2011 (UTC)Drunkturtle
Just wanted to second this issue, as I have experienced this also. QuantizedBoson 16:00, 16 November 2011 (UTC)
It happened to me also. When in a trespassing area, I used the Hold E (action) command to have quick access to the "companion command" mode without entering conversation. I told her to wait in a corner. However, I wasn't able to get her to follow me again because the conversation prompt can't be opened, she just says "You're not supposed to be here". The potential fix below didn't work for me, I had to go to a non-trespassing area and use the console solution.
Potential fix: Walk up to the NPC and hold E (or action). You should get the command interface. Tell the companion to "Wait there" in a distant corner, and then immediately hit tab (or the corresponding key). The companion should be set to follow you.
Alternate Fix: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_to_find_my_follower_in_Skyrim The second part of this page explains how to use the command console to select and teleport your desired companion to your current position. So fast travel to a safe place and recall them from the "stuck" location. -- Dav3, 19/11/2011 :: 03:40
Another Alternative Fix: If none of the above fixes work for you for various reasons (console version, etc) I've been able to fix this bug repeatedly by following these steps. WARNING: This fix may incur a bounty upon your character if witnessed, and may result in your own death or that of your companion's. Save beforehand!
First, assault your bugged companion. This will cause them to leave your service, provided your assault didn't kill them. Assault is a crime obviously, so keep that in mind. Next, yield or book it. Anything to ensure combat with your companion ends. This will cause them to return to the location you would normally find them when out of your service. Lastly, re-recruit and enjoy! If they have not arrived at their home location by the time you do, wait a couple. Hours and they should show up.
Hope that helps - DevonB.
Other Companions quest glitches: After getting lycanthrophy from Skjor, can't enter first person even when not werewolf. (PS3)
Rotating Inventory Items
I've seen mentioned on the Skyrim : Glitches page for PC that you can not rotate the inventory item. The option for the PC is different from the console as you must hit "C" on the keyboard to enter item rotation mode
You can also, when the item is selected, move your mouse over the item and scroll up. QuantizedBoson 15:58, 16 November 2011 (UTC)
- Confirming this. I've never had a problem entering rotation mode on the PC... I hover my mouse over the item in the inventory screen, and use the scroll wheel on my mouse. (Aresvallis 10:06, 22 November 2011 (UTC))
dont think thats a bug
"Characters that are killed by a Giant are often catapulted into the air"
I'm pretty sure that's intentional. If you get hit by a massive club, it makes sense you might go flying. --Halfstache 01:12, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, but body would just squish under a X pound club, if you hit it hard enough to catapult it that high... The Bodies are catapulted spread eagle (cartwheeling, none the less) straight up into the air, not thrown at a semi-realistic angle... not to mention you're spinning vertically... It's probably a glitch. ~~ ArcHorizon (26 November 2011 2:10)
- I saw a Giant herding 2 mammoths the other day. They were quite far apart, so I decided to take my chance. I used bow to sneak attack the Giant, got his (but not the mammoths') attention, and managed to bring down his health and his knee. Not sure if it was my companion's final blow or my bow, his body disappeared. Looking around, I saw one of the mammoths distance away fell from mid air and died. Ran up and looted the mammoth, turned around, and there was the Giant herding the last mammoth! Sneak attack (2X, plain orcish bow and iron arrow) killed him with one arrow, so I think he's the one that disappeared earlier. 188.8.131.52 21:29, 17 November 2011 (UTC)
- I can confirm the previous paragraph. I observed 2 mammoths and a giant from afar. The mammoths seemed to have stuck on uneven ground and after some jerking one of them spontaneously catapulted straight high up into the air. It was killed upon impact when it hit the ground on its way back.(PC)
On the 360 I have noticed that the game has trouble placing Dragon Skeleton when you return to an area, sometimes placing part of them inside of walls and buildings
Dragon Skeletons have been moving for me too, in one notable location, I killed a dragon at a fort outside the door but when I fast travelled back, the skeleton was further away.... exactly on the fast travel point. Which made my horse get stuck as we arrived inside the skeleton. Nikomis 17:30, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
On the dragon skeleton front, I've actually been getting whole un-skeletonised dragon carcases following me around. They often appear when I fast-travel to a town or city, though seem to appear randomly. They sometimes clip into the floor or buildings, had one sink slowly into the scenery at one point.184.108.40.206 07:30, 18 November 2011 (UTC)
I, too, have had undead dragons follow me around. Usually, it will follow me from one town to another if it's near by where I fast travel from. Strangely, I've had the same thing happen with people and my home in Whiterun. If I run past them and they stop to talk to me (I really think the conversation mode is annoying) and I enter my house, they'll follow me inside. I think it may be related somehow. I've had person AND dragon bones follow me at the same time before... but that was when I was going from city to stables. Aresvallis 10:19, 22 November 2011 (UTC)
- Or better yet, my College of Winterhold courtyard is full to the brim with skeletons. If I stand on the wall they are flush with the top, and every time I fast travel there, they all come raining back down T_T
NPC Inventory resetting despite console commands
All NPCs(assumingly) reset their inventory after X amount of time in the game. I've given robes to my wife(senna) to wear and used additem and equipitem console commands to force her to wear it. After a while she is back to wearing her old crap robes. I'd remove them from her inventory specifically and see if that works, but i doubt it considering when I do removeallitems and add the robe I want alone, her inventory resets and she gains her old robes. Is there anyway around this? It's rather annoying. Hirelings end up putting their old armor on too, even though I give them better armor to wear. The only thing that seems to stay consistant and not get unequiped is weapons.
Again, help please.
When you change a npcs clothing you have to add a 1 after the command to make the change permanent. Sooo click the npc in console mode "additem xxxxxxxx 1" that should make the change permanent. It's also not a bad idea to remove their original clothing with the console by clicking the npc in console mode "removeitem xxxxxxx 1" to permanently remove that item from their inventory. I have Sygja or whatever that hot impeial is from Shor's Stone and she looks much more comfortable in a dress than with a pickaxe strapped to her side.
I've had the same thing happen with Marcurio. I gave him better gear, but he keeps putting on the old rubbish. He does this even AFTER I've used the console to 'removeitem <itemID> 1'. I even used the 'equip item' command and then when he was in the better gear, I asked him what he had for sale and bought the rubbish off him. It still respawned and he was wearing it again after a while. 220.127.116.11 10:02, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
- I think companions or even all NPCs out there have a script on them (or maybe it is a global feature) which forces them to equip their "default" apparel when they are NOT following the Player, and if they no longer have their "default" apparel, it is generated. However, it is possible to improve their default apparel via smithing and give it to them, and they will wear it. But then again, all this is about their good looks, not about combat strength. To improve default armor, you need to steal it from them, just make them equip better armor and dismiss them, then you can steal their default armor. 18.104.22.168 14:27, 6 December 2011 (UTC)
the wooden mask that teleports you is no longer working for me it teleported me there and then back but now no longer works have i found a glitch or am i missing something that makes it work o.O The sorrow 17:06, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
- no wait my mistake not a glitch you have to be in the room where you find the wooden mask for it to work ...i feel kinda blond nowThe sorrow 17:22, 15 November 2011 (UTC)
Are we just not going to put this on the wiki because Bethesda is supposedly releasing a patch for it?
Early in the game I had Lydia as a follower. During a dragon battle I lost track of her. I assumed she dies and I moved on. Later I took hired Jenassa and decided to marry her. We went to the chapel and got it set up. I waited and then got message on screen that my follower was leaving for the wedding. Then it said I missed my wedding and it failed. I turned around to leave and there was Lydia's body by the door. I reloaded my last save several times and the same thing occurred.
I the fast traveled to Whiterunto ask Jenassa to marry me again. She said ok and she would be at my house in Whiterun. I went to my house to look for her and went upstairs and found Lydia's body on the floor of her room. I took all her armor and drug her downstairs and propped her in a chair and used her for target practice. You can throw her in the cooking pit but her whole body disappears except her head
I then went back to the chapel and was able to marry Janassa.
This was on xbox360
Magicka regeneration glitch
Also occurs on Xbox 360. Happened to me. Don't like fiddling with articles, so I'll just note it here. I can't find any method for removing it.
- For people suffering from a magicka regeneration "glitch." If you complete the quest to cleanse the magic fonts at the Mages' College it applies a magicka regeneration effect with a duration of 2 hours. The effect is strong enough that it will generally appear as if you are not using any magicka at all, and your magicka bar won't even appear when casting spells. Don't worry, it will fade eventually and is not actually a glitch. 22.214.171.124 01:24, 13 December 2011 (UTC)
Not a glitch
On the article page it has a glitch listed for Xbox 360 starting that items will remain where they were dropped not where you move them to, by grabbing and moving them. Skyrim has no grab button so this is impossible to be a glitch.--Dro'Bakha 11:01, 17 November 2011 (UTC)
- Next time, look in your manual, your config, or look it up in general. It tells you in no less then 5 places where and how to "move" objects.
- On the PC, you can grab objects by holding down the interact button (the button for accessing containers etc). I'd assume it works the same way on the Xbox. :) Weroj 13:17, 17 November 2011 (UTC)
It works the same way just hold the x down -KovikWarrior
- On the 360, hold "A" on the object you want to move. Tap "A" again to drop it, though you have to be careful as "A" is also the "take/steal" button.
Merchant Gold not resetting when loading autosave.
It seems merchants gold does not reset after selling items and reloading an aotosave. I went to the whiterun trader and sold items and sold something I wasn't supposed to, so I reloaded the auosave to sell them again but the merchants gold was the same, so I was unable to sell anymore. I tried it again on the Riverwood trader and the same thing happened, depleted his gold, to about 11 and he still had 11 when I loaded the autosave.
- Yeah it happens with me all the damn time when I forget to get on my thieves guild hoods, soo frustating! 126.96.36.199 21:29, 6 December 2011 (UTC)
Some ones that didn't belong in the main page
- I just started a new game because i want to be a mage. I equipped "Flames" 1st in my right hand and no matter what i do it will not unequip. The one time it said it did unequip i was still unable to equip any other spells into my right hand. When unsheathing, the characters right had still appeared to have a spell equipped although there was no spell equipped and was unable to attack with their right hand.
- I downloaded the game to the system, and I know that Bethesda said not to but my system is old. Anyway when I went through the 2nd door in Windhelm my character got stuck and couldn't move from that spot tried fast travel and everything I could think of and finally figured out that if i cleared the system cache on the HDD and deleted the game from the system (not the save files but in the game library) then it fixed the graphical glitch and i was able to re-download it to the system.
Merchant Gold Manipulation
The above merchant gold autosave glitch can be used favorably as well. When you enter a shop, the game will make an autosave, if you then wait 24 hours twice, you will have two more autosaves and the merchant's gold will replenish. The merchant's gold will remain the same regardless of which of thre three autosaves you reload. Thus, reloading the first autosave made when you entered the shop allows you to increase the merhcant's gold without passing any time in-game. (Xbox 360) --MountainDrew 00:26, 18 November 2011 (UTC)
Unable to Speak to NPCs.
I don't know what caused it, but for some reason every time I try to talk to an NPC, it just makes the little *click* sound that the activation button makes when there's nothing to be activated. - on XBox
Slow running after mining
- I noticed that after mining, I will sometimes walk slowly, it seems like toggling Sneak on and off will fix it. Anyone else experienced this? QuantizedBoson 21:40, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
- Same thing happened to me and toggling sneak fixed it. --188.8.131.52 03:10, 23 November 2011 (UTC)
-- this is caused by initiating mining while sneaking. Your default HuD state out of mining is normal, even if your movement is still set to 'stealth'
- This usually occurs when you activate a mining node while sneaking. The game doesn't remember that you were in sneak mode before using the mine. Torinir 19:18, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
A Few Glitches/Bugs I Found
The following glitches need confirmation, thus I posted them here in the talk page instead of the real glitch page. It seems the Skyrim Glitch page is getting overrun by nonsense posts.
The Silent Roll perk normally allows a player to silent roll once for each press of the sprint button. However, if your weapon(s) are drawn then you can hold the sprint button and continually silent roll. This is helpful for faster movement while sneaking.
- Doesn't appear to work with magic at all. So far it works with Bows, 1HW's, 2HW's, and Shields
- Main issue confirmed on PC as well, and third person view has the reverse issue. Sheathing weapons allows for continuous silent rolling, but drawn weapons only allows single activation. Torinir 19:15, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
- One example is at the end the quest "Blindsighted". After getting the Nightingale Bow from Karliah, you can ask her what the Pilgrim's Path will be like. In one of the last few lines of text she will say something highly different than the subtitles.
If you open a flagged container (one which you can steal items from) that already contains gold and you place your gold into it, all gold will be all flagged as stolen. If done while seen by a guard, you will get a bounty of 0 gold.
Sometimes if you open a door at the same time or right after an NPC opens it, you will not be able to open that door. I fix this by reloading an autosave, but there are likely other ways to get around this problem.
- Normally It's because the door is left "open". Trying the door again should "shut" it, and a second time should "open" it again and let you through.
(Restoring a deleted report) Blessing of Talos grants a 0% reduction in Shout recharge time. This has also happened on the PC, but in that case the player had just accidentally looted things from Talos' altar, so withholding the effect of the blessing might be by design.
- Happens to me on PC too, in Whiterun by the market. There's nothing to loot though.184.108.40.206 20:52, 23 November 2011 (UTC)
- Same consistently whether you have stolen, haven't, have the amulets on or not. It seems to be a text output issue, see below.
--220.127.116.11 03:06, 20 November 2011 (UTC) JessMan
- Regarding the altar of Talos glitch, while it may say it reduces shout recharge time by 0%, it seems to be missing the two. It reduces recharge time by 20% (ice form went from 60 to 48 second recharge). --Halfstache 05:38, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
- I've confirmed this is true on my end as well.
- Regarding the altar of Talos glitch, while it may say it reduces shout recharge time by 0%, it seems to be missing the two. It reduces recharge time by 20% (ice form went from 60 to 48 second recharge). --Halfstache 05:38, 24 November 2011 (UTC)
Bound Sword glitch
After I got the dual-casting perk, dual-casting the Bound Sword spell only makes a sword in the left hand. I'm on Xbox 360.
- Probably by design. Dual casting Conjuration spells generally increases their strength or duration (afaik). I wouldn't expect to get two swords from dual casting bound sword (although its a nice idea!). -- Billw 10:30, 22 November 2011 (UTC)
- I think it's a glitch. After casting, the right hand does half of the casting animation again. Also, I could get two swords before I got the dual-casting perk. 18.104.22.168 03:34, 23 November 2011 (UTC)
- That's because each hand was casting a clean version of the spell. Individually you can put a sword in one had, the other, or both, depending on where you cast it from.
If you want 2 bound swords with the dual casting perk start casting one hand then the other. Do not cast both at the same time otherwise you will overcharge the spell.
- The glitch is that the sword is summoned to your off hand, where it's useless. The next time you prepare a spell with a hotkey, you will un-summon the sword and replace it with the spell. Dual-cast Bound Sword should appear in your main hand so you can still cast with the off hand.
Warmaiden's Door Glitch
After doing some shopping at Warmaiden's in Whiterun, I couldn't get back out the door. It had the normal action button dialog, but when I pressed 'A' (this is on an XBOX 360), nothing happened.
- Pre-reported as a general door issue. Doors sometimes need to be reactivated several times, or cannot be reactivated, but it's a global issue.
Merchant Gold Reset
Closing and re-opening the game resets merchants' gold amounts to full. DRK3 23:38, 20 November 2011 (UTC)
Also, if you Save the game, kill the merchant, then reload the Saved game, the merchant's gold will be reset.
- Alternatively, instead of taking the 5+ minutes to do that, you can just wait 48 hrs >_> My guess though? It probably resets more then just their gold.
Horses Galloping through water
I've had a strange bug where, if I dismounted my horse while in the middle of a lake and immediately get back on, the horse will act as if it's running over ground and go much faster. It reverts when the horse gets too high out of the water or walks on ground, he'll go back to swimming in water. Aresvallis 02:24, 21 November 2011 (UTC)
Books Disappearing from Bookcase
Happened in Whiterun, but might occur in other homes as well (haven´t tested yet): I had placed a number of books in my shelves and when I tried to reorganize, the books VANISHED. This bug/glitch has not yet been added to the Glitch page.
- When you activate the book shelf and then exit the inventory screen, they'll vanish as the bookcase is "refreshing" them, sort of like refreshing a web page. I've had books disappear for far too long before reappearing in the proper order. If however you mean they vanished from the bookshelf's inventory screen completely, you probably hit another shelf by accident, as the bookshelves are kind of tricky when trying to activate the one you want. Try entering stealth mode, that might let you get better aim at getting the right shelf. Aresvallis 09:38, 22 November 2011 (UTC)
- Enter the house at Whiterun.
- Walk to book shelf to the right of the fireplace.
- Note that in my case, the upper shelf is full with 18 books, and the lower shelf is also about full.
- Pass the mouse cursor over each book to see the titles are really there.
- Move cursor to bottom of bookshelf so as to open the contents.
- Open the bookshelf. In the upper left corner, the message "You may place 8 more books..." appears.
- The book shelf inventory screen shows no contents.
- Close inventory screen of book shelf.
- The books that were on the shelf vanish outright at the same time. POOF!
- Try to add new books. Observe that player can add no more than 8 books according to the game event message.
- So not only do the existing books vanish, but the bookshelf also loses its correct properties for capacity. Up to this point, the bookshelves were working just fine. However, I reload savegames from as far back as when I first got the bookshelves and the issue keeps on happening. This was not happening with those savegames before today.
- If I pick up all the books sitting on the shelf manually by selecting each one, then I don't lose them. However, opening the bookshelf itself I still see that it now has reduced capacity (8 books).
- I have not added a bookshelf or inventory mod to the game.
EDIT: This also happens to me in the Hjerim house. There, though, once the books are supposedly in the bookshelf, the bookshelf can no longer be activated.
removing quest weapons
I've noticed that if i equip a quest weapon and then interact with a weapon rack or something similar, its removed from your inventory, picking it up again makes it a quest item again. (Eddie The Head 23:57, 21 November 2011 (UTC))
Glitch or exploit?
I don't find this a glitch according to how glitches are listed, it is more of an exploit. Thoughts?
- In Riften if you speak to Ungrien who works at the black briar meadery. Ask him about the black briar meadery, persuade him to tell you what it is like to work there. You can constantly re-do that conversation for your speech skill to reach 100 very quickly.
--Manic 17:49, 22 November 2011 (UTC)
I was visiting Riverwood and decided to head North, towards the Farmsteads of Whiterun.
About 60m after crossing the Bridge (where the Birds fly out of the trees everytime you cross the Bridge) I passed the Bodies of 2 dead wolves I killed 1 and a half weeks ago, and there was a deer stuck in the River. Then the game crashed. Restarted, loaded savegame, again, crash. Then loaded again, stood still... nothing. Went ahead, crash. Loaded, went some OTHER WAY and came up the same road, no crash. Loaded again, went straight down the road, now no crash.
So, my guess is, that the Cell that got loaded/unloaded/something crashed the game, might have been the Deer stuck in the River too, since it had nowhere to go and was just, well, stuck. On my last try to 'crash or no crash', I shooed it out of the river, and went the same way (North) again, no crash.
I just don't know, this starts to get like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, where just randomly, as soon as you came close to certain areas, it ALWAYS CRASHED at the EXACT SAME POINT, regardless how long you wait, or what else you try. It's like there is that invisible Border you cross and then 'KA-POW!!!' you crash.
And I was so HAPPY that it WAS running so stable, but now I'm just afraid of even continuing playing the game. -Carl
If somebody else noticed something like that, it should be further examinated and maybe added as "cell loading glitch" or something.
Further Testing revealed that the crash involves (I'm 99% sure) Dragons or other "Mobs" not spawning correctly; everytime it crashes, I restart and load to try again, and when it finally DOESNT CRASH one time, there's either a Dragon popping up outta thin air, attacking near Riverwood OR a mob of wolves or other enemies spawned in close proximity. It MAY be other things too that lead to the CTD, but right now, I (being 99% sure) blame the code for spawning enemies, esp. dragons.-Carl
Sprinting Under Water.
If you fall off your horse by jumping it off a cliff into water but you don't die, it will go through the animation of you getting up underwater. Then so long as you stay in the third person view it allows you to sprint in water. Don't ask me how I figured this out lol.
Not sure why but in Whiterun when you speak to the blacksmith, Ulfberth War-Bear, selling arrows will give you zero gold. If you talk to his helper, Adrianne Avenicci, she will let you sell her arrows at one gold per arrow. My speech is only 35, and it shouldn't vary between different vendors, either way, time to get rid of all those damn iron arrows i have.
Torches not sellable
Are they supposed to be items you cannot sell?
NPCs Follow you through Doors
If any NPC is in the middle of a sentence and you go through a door that has a loading screen to another area, the NPC will follow you through the door for some reason. I know this sounds minor but if a merchant is speaking to you in their own store, you can just walk out the door and then go back in and steal all their stuff before they make it back inside.
- I've also noticed this, but they usually turn right around and go back in.
- If you lure them out of their shop and then run into another door while they talk to you, they follow you through those doors as well. It is a lot harder to do but gives you some time to steal stuff from their shop. Also, if you go upstairs in Winterhold's general shop, the lady will follow you up and out the door (if in mid-sentence), and you can do this same trick while she goes outside up top (and she will walk downstairs instead of running to catch up with you like usual)
One Hit Killing Dragons
I managed to backstab one with 30x the damage, no cheats involved, carcass won't dissolve, won't give soul.
- I've noticed that if you kill a too dragon quickly, or with a lot of damage, the dragon will not enter the "burning" animation, thus not giving you the soul. It also happens if you loot the dragon immediately after it dies before the animation.
Game freezes when using the "Nightingale Strife" power.
The game froze twice in a row right after using the Nightingale Strife power. It seems that it might be caused by the power going through more than one target. This happened to me during the fight with Red Eagle.
- Most arrows (with the exception of the higher damage ones like Dwarven) start off at 0 value (all of them are 0 weight) but the more you increase your speech, the higher they sell for
Azura's Star resetting when dropped is listed separately from any player filled gem emptying when dropped, Suggesting they are merged into one bug as it the same issue/circumstance.
Archmage Robes and Morokei
On PS3, I have noticed that equipping both Morokei and the Archmage Robes results in the player character having no face. This only occurred after my character had been killed, and loading a save did fix the issue. Entering a new area, however, caused it to happen again. I do not know if this happens with other masks, but it may be due to the fact that they both have an identical hood that is part of the main item. Has anyone else experienced this? -TheThirdWilliam 02:20, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- That's a common texture glitch. It happens sporadically to all dragon priest masks if you are wearing a hooded robe. --Halfstache 03:54, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
Dual-wield BUG Confirmed on PC
Guys, it's all over the internet except here in the UESP: the dual-wield flurry perk won't work with 2 daggers - it works just fine with sword/dagger or axe/dagger and it also works as expected (slower) with combinations such as mace/mace, but if you wield dagger/dagger or dagger/anything (meaning dagger as main weapon) the perk will NOT work. CONFIRMED on PC.
- Need confirmation for Xbox and PS3.
That's odd when I duel wield a dagger and anyother kind of one hander the animation for dual flurry is fine.
Confirmed on 360. After getting the perk my right dagger enters slow motion
player height glitch
I have encountered a glitch where, in first person, I have to look up to see peoples faces (i.e.: I become short). When I go to third person, i am back again to being taller than everyone else (i'm an Altmer). Anyone else found this or a fix? --Halfstache 03:57, 25 November 2011 (UTC) UPDATE: I found out that this happens when you enter alchemy or enchanting while sneaking, because they make you stand up, so when you exit, you are still standing, but at sneaking height. It can be fixed by entering and leaving sneak mode. --Halfstache 21:13, 25 November 2011 (UTC)
- This also happens sometimes when you're facing a person while in stealth mode (as to pickpocket them) and when you get caught and reload, the save point, the sneak icon is there even though you're standing- this creates the same 'short' 1st person effect.
Without providing any spoilers, please provide quest items that SHOULD NOT BE PICKED UP BEFORE OBTAINING THE QUEST. This happened to me as I picked up a book that I later obtained a quest for, but was not able to complete the quest because of obtaining the item before the quest.
Quest Items NOT TO PICK UP unless you have the quest for it:
- Arcana Restored (Book) - [I picked this up and the quest is stuck at the spot where I originally found it, I cannot turn it in or reset the quest so it is forever stuck in my inventory until a patch]
- Grand staff of charming for Onmund's Request.
As I exited Whiterun, I came across a dead giant in the wooden guardpost some 70 feet from the gate. Has anyone else seen misplaced corpses like this? --Halfstache 06:56, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
- -Probably the corpse of the giant killed by the companions as you approach Whiterun. (Needs Confirmation)
Not quite, but I had a dragon skeleton fall out of the air and land in the docks near Solitude as I exited the warehouse.22.214.171.124 23:47, 26 November 2011 (UTC)
- I've seen corpses move significant distances, like a dragons skeleton that I killed in Winterhold appeared in the College of Winterhold when I fast traveled there. --Ohnoitsmangofett 10:12, 27 November 2011 (UTC)
- I've had giant clubs randomly float around my world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAbg9uvft40&feature=player_detailpage#t=128s
- -I've had a dragon skeleton appear next to the whiterun carriage after fast-traveling
I've had a Dragon skeleton pop out of nowhere when I exited Whiterun in front of the gate it didn't give a soul either.....
Right hand attack speed
After killing some random person my right hand wont preform fast attacks only power attacks work now. The left hand still works and casting spells is fine with both hands aswell. On PS3
Endless exhaling/exhausted effect
Platform: PC. My character started to breathe heavily, after some random fighting; Although the stamina bar filled up, my char constantly sounded like he was 'working hard', and draining all stamina, getting killed and reload, getting injured, were all to no avail. Luckily I discovered fixes for that: 1. Fasttravel. Immediate fix, but obviously not possible when enemies are near. 2. Run around like a turkey with his head lopped off. Swing yer weapons alot too, so you get exhausted (over-exhausted?), and it MIGHT stop your constant breathing. Just running/sprinting etc. doesnt solve it, the factor is time and stamina depletion. 3. Console-> player.resurrect Just using sexchange doesnt work, unlike the arrows glitch. DOWNSIDE: You loose all current blessings, stone-effects and potion/magic effects, that dont come from enchanted equipment. Well, at least you save your Skills and Level. -Carl
- I've had the same issue before; It's typically caused by depleting your stamina while under the effects of restore stamina. The same thing can happen with absorb stamina effects when a power attack would deplete it. The easiest fixes are to open a container or to drop your stamina to 0 again by shield-bashing or power attacking.
QUEST SPECIFIC GLITCHES
Since they don't belong here I was wondering about having a Quest Specific Glitches page that would link to pages with known QSG.
- That page can be found at Category:Skyrim-Quests. If a quest doesn't have a glitch, that just means we haven't found it yet. Chris3145 18:43, 27 November 2011 (UTC)
- I don't see any comprehensive list of glitches on the Skyrim Quest page. It would be very useful to have a single list of quest glitches without spoilers so players could avoid game stopping glitches like the Companions quest line glitch after gathering the witches heads without having to read every quest and having the fun of the game spoiled. Only listing the quest glitches on the page related for that quest is not very useful for players trying to avoid quest glitches without spoiling the story.
Red Eagle Quest -After you finish this quest, if you find a book that that starts the quest, you can get the quest for it again.
House of Horrors -If you do not stay with the NPC. You will be stuck in the quest unable to get out of it.
Skyrim: Weapon racks on 360
Weapons racks on 360 do not accept weapons. Nor do the wall coverings. Cannot activate as you would a bookshelf. My brother has the PC version and asked why I didn't have weapons in my racks. Also, been falling through levels. Hopefully, Bethesda will patch up things up in a more timely manner than in Oblivion. Otherwise, having a great time in Skyrim!!!!126.96.36.199 07:47, 28 November 2011 (UTC)graveyard guardian
- Solved There is a bug where if you purchase just the house and enter without any of the upgrades the weapon plaques/racks will not work. You must purchase the house and upgrades all together at once then enter and they should be working. ~ GearlockT Dec 22, 2011
- Say what now? I play on the 360 and the Breezehome weapon rack works just fine for me, just wish it held more than 2 weapons. I did not apply the 1.2 patch. (I didn't know wall coverings could be activated; never tried and have to look into that....though I don't know why one should expect a tapestry to hold books. Seems silly.) Oshaugm 23:18, 2 December 2011 (UTC)
No they won't, just like Oblivion and Fallout 3; they are gonna release 2 Patches over the next 2 Years and then discard the game, no matter how many errors are left in the code of the game or anything - Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Morrowind deserve(d) a lot more patches; I LOVE Oblivion, and Skyrim and the other Games I mentioned, but they just never released a patch for any of those games that actually FIXES anything good; yes, Bethesda, you need to release more patches and CARE about your games, just look at the Arma Series with all it's patches, or WoW or (pretty much) any other Game. Or X3:TC - it's years old, but still gets LOTS of Patches.
LOL Comparing patches on an MMORPG that is a constant revenue stream with patching a single player game? That's hilarious.
Keep in mind, Bethesda has an extremely active community for the PC, if you look at Oblivion or any of the Fallouts, the patch list made by USERS is massive. Unfortunately I'm not sure on if the ps3/xbox has anything like this, and it's really costly to upgrade your PC to be able to run Skyrim the way you want it. Hopefully they start releasing massive beta tests to find these kind of bugs next time-- but keep in mind, it's been less than 2 years since Fallout New Vegas came out (Bethesda is being pressured to release games too fast similar to Naughty Dog and it's Uncharted series for the ps3).
XBOX 360 - Having experienced issues with the weapon rack I seem to have found a solution, more of a prevention than a cure though, I bought the house in solitude to find the weapon rack were not activating; It seemed strange considering my breezehome weapon racks worked and a lot of forums were complaining about that. Back to solitude after I made the purchase of the house I then saved the game, I then purchased the enchanters pack (pack with weapon racks) to find they were not working, I reloaded a bought the pack again went back to proudspire manor and bingo! they worked, Just simply repeat the process until it works.
* If the player falls to their death from a great height, but lands at the entrance of the cave (may only be possible having fallen from a named horse i.e. Shadowmere) upon loading the most recent file, The player can find him/herself laying face-down on the floor inside the cave near-to-which they died. The character is able to move as normal by sliding along the floor, however will not be able to use any action, if the player moves up an elevated surface e.g. A tent or a cliff-wall, they will stand back up again however their weapon may be de-equipped.
This is not a glitch, as it happens when falling to death using a horse. The horse will die, but the character will suffer minor damage and survive. --Shm0key 20:12, 28 November 2011 (UTC)
No Follower Glitch
I had Lydia early in the game as my follower. Upon completing the Companion's Guild, there's the extra quests that you can do for gold. There's one quest for Vilkas where he wants to be cleared of his beastblood. The quest tells me to take him back to Ysgramor's Tomb so I can put the witch's head in and kill the beast. When I step outside of Jorrvaskr and into Whiterun, Vilkas is nowhere to be seen. I step back inside of Jorrvaskr and he is sitting down eating some bread. Not only that, I can no longer have a follower. I decided to kill Lydia (her decapitated body and head is rolling around in my house), but it did nothing. When I ask people to follow me, they say "Looks like you already got someone", even though no one is.
- just go to ysgramor's tomb, activate the sconce and kill the wolf spirit alone if he doesn't follow you. If the quest ends he is no longer your follower. You could've just waited and Lydia would have been at your breezehome in whiterun (or elsewhere if you married/moved her). I speak from experience, having finished the entire questline. I had a Dark Brotherhood Initiate following me (you know, the invincible ones lol) and she returned to the sanctuary once i started that quest. I also believe that when you fast travel to Ysgramor's tomb that Vilkas will randomly spawn behind you (when you fast travel with a follower it takes them with you), but that could potentially not happen. let me know if this works by replying to this suggestion! Cheers! -max
Thanks for the reply! I fast traveled to Ysgramor's Tomb, but Vilkas was nowhere to be seen. I went inside and tried to activate the sconce, but it didn't do anything. My journal claims that I have already completed the quest (Purity), but the diamond is not filled (Cleanse Vilkas of beastblood) which is kind of weird.. I too have completed both the main questline and the Companions' questline. I have also tried marrying Aela the Huntress to try and get her as a follower, but she too says that I already have someone. Not even my spouse can trust me. :( Thank you for the suggestion though.
possible skyrim difficulty glitch
anyone else have skyrim where as you lvl up on master difficulty the monsters attack increases along with life making it so that many fights are impossible due to high life, and extremly high damage. such as vampire looking for child in that small town. easy to kill at lvl one try doign it at lvl 20 and might get 25% of her life before dying.
- use the range of "helpers" you dont have access to or need with level 1 (improve gear, more potions, more food)
or combat gimped character? i really doubt there is any glitch
- I don't really understand, what is the glitch? Increasing the difficulty is supposed to make enemies harder.RIM 16:37, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
suppose to make harder yess, not impossible. when you sit there at lvl 30 with best gear avail and many monsters can kill you in 3 hits or less with physical good number with just one hit (that over 400 damage at lvl 30 after gear resist), or they use magic and kill you from as slow as a few seconds, to as fast as under a second same scenario of over 400 life. if that how the game suppose to be at master then it simple. its fucked up. specially since game too easy on next one down. how the heck does the game go from being too easy too impossibly by going up one difficulty lvl.
- I'm playing on master difficulty and I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Get someone to follow you, learn some spells, try some alchemy. Use everything in your arsenal to defeat these enemies (even luring them with bow and repeating this process until their life is low enough). If the enemy is too hard even after multiple tries, you are not strong enough to fight them. Remember-- Skyrim does NOT level the enemies like oblivion did-- they do NOT level up with you. Wait a few levels and try again. Not a glitch. Master difficulty is meant for you to use all aspects of the game, not just getting good warrior gear and being able to mow through enemies-- that is not mastering anything.
- Also keep in mind to buy more powerful spells from spell merchants, the spells you have learnt already don't get any stronger. Also, if wearing heavy or light armour, get some perks for them.RIM 15:13, 30 November 2011 (UTC)
wow they do not level up? then how do you explain a simple wolf doing 20 damage at lvl 1, and same wolf doing 140 damage at lvl 30? the fact is i am a spellsword and for those who are not original es fans (by original i mean been fan since arena) that is a warrior with magic as aid. so you wrong, they do lvl up with you or i should say they lvl up faster than you. there is no creature that you can kill at higher lvls easier than you do at lvl one and by that i mean you can kill them if you meet two requirements. one they do not cast magic, and two you can get them some place you can attack them and they cant attack you and dont run away. then for other mobs that you can kill at lvl one they gain life and damage faster than you do. there creatures at lvl 1 you can beat with barely any damage taken, by lvl 20 they so powerful they will kill you by time you get them half dead while you dodge most thier melee there is. and magic users the worse, the only way to dodge thier attacks, is to one, put weapon away, run forward and have enc at point you run fastest you can and you might be able to keep ahead of thier aim. god forbid they chase you though cause most npcs can run faster than you when your weapon put away and thier weapons out. and the fact that the game is designed to be impossible at master when freaking at lvl 30, you have mudcrabs killing you in one blow. you have magic users killing you in one second of magic damage using novice spell. now i didnt open this up for people to say oh i dont have that issue. i opened this to see if there are others out there with same issue. i have tried 6 distinct strategies from beginning with multiple variations. current strategy is to get to 100 enchant if with near god resist to magic and high blocking dont enable me to start making headway above lvl one i will go back to other es games. like maybe finishing my current character in oblivion in getting his mana boost gear or play my morrowind character that i working on doing tribunal expansion at lvl 10 to see if i can beat it. or maybe go play my tank in daggerfall or something. even daggerfal more fun then skyrim right now and it had all those glitches like falling through stairs.
- and as for companions... they suck. i tried that first battle guy comes up and rush to meet him and do a quick look, companion no where around the wimp when running off like a wimpering child. horses are more useful then companions at least they stick around and fight. just dont get caught dismounting they will probably have you dead otherwise before you even got off horse let alone pull out weapon.
- and as for higher grade spells sure, when i lvl 100 in the skill i will find the most mana effective per damage and get that. i dont care to have a million spells to dig through to find the couple ones i use. all i need is an attack spell and heal spell for me and for the occasional wimpy little child i have to protect cause they too cant protect themselves anything more than that and it waste of space, time and engergy.
- I, as well, am over level 30 but I don't share the same level of frustration-- I am also a thief which means my bows do 3x damage and my one-handed sneak attacks do 16x damage. Groups absolutely demolish me, magic user demolish me if they spot me (my sneak is almost maxed). But for some reasons my companion seems to be doing just fine, I sometimes just heal him while he tries to attack everyone. As for the leveling system, we're both right. Monsters do SCALE to your level, but not like Oblivion. In oblivion, ALL monsters leveled up with you, in Fallout 3, on specific groups which were meant to be difficult scaled up with you as well. Bethesda said: “Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/leveling based on player level. Skyrim‘s is similar to Fallout 3‘s, not Oblivion‘s.” As for why wolves kill you in one hit, I'm not sure, they usually go for my companion.
If you get killed by wolves with 140 damage, something is wrong or strange. Personally I use Wolves for blocking practice, one-hit-killing all but one and then let him attack me. Sometimes I do a healing spell. That is really quite relaxed, and I am a thief character as well, meaning skills like Sneak, Pickpocket and Lockpick are close to max or maxed out which gave me some levels for harder opponents while my fighting skills did not go up, so I am somewhat gimped with no Armour and Fighting skills to speak of (except for Archery). Still, wolves pose no threat normally (apart from spreading disease, which can be annoying if no potion and no altar is handy). Even more this holds true for mudcrabs. As for the discussion: you say, you did not open up this topic for others to claim they do not have your issue but for others who do have the same issue. But finding out whether this is a bug, a strange occurence due to some messed up thing in your save files or something that cannot be reproduced at all, we also need input from other players who do *not* experience this. Otherwise, maybe three people have an issue and it looks as if it were common, because the 997 who did not have this did not say so. As for companions: mine certainly do not suck. They are easily able to overwhelm 1-3 basic level opponents (like Draugr) but will struggle when encountering high levelled ones (Draugr Deathlords). Still, they take some heat enabling you to start counter measures. --Ulkomaalainen 04:15, 5 December 2011 (UTC)
- I would say that at master you need actual game skill as well, I for example evade most magic attacks by moving out of their way, you can easily get the "rhythm" of the ai like this: start moving sideways, then the ai will target before you (as he should with a moving target) and when he starts to shoot, just stop and thats it, it takes a little practice, but after that, you almost never ever be shooted with spells again, even in close! also, at master you should obviously use the overpowered things in the game, for example the alch-ench-smithing combo, with light armor of course, and multiple sets of light armor, I have a set for 100% fortify destruction to perma stun single bosses for my followers to kill (I'm a warrior with 40-is destro skill btw) and I have the assoted resist gears, +health gears, and such. All in all I had a pretty comfortable and fun game in master dif, over my 43 levels with twohanded-crafts specialization. And of course there are moments when even I go "WTF what am I supposed to do????" but thats the point of it, to be honest, it's less of a challange, than Oblvion hardest dif was without conjuration.
Oh and a protip from my new master-mage some illusion perks also double the effectiveness of your destruction skills, now that's a glitch188.8.131.52 21:57, 6 December 2011 (UTC)
- Actually, that's a good point, too. (Not the glitch, but the "game skill" thing). Basically, there are five levels of difficulty in this game so that everyone can get a challenge, the casual "strolling through Skyrim and see what happens" guy as well as the "number crunching to find the perfect armour/weapon/perk mix for every enemy" girl. If you're really having trouble at master difficulty, either improve your play or turn it down a notch to expert, maybe adept. The goal of master diff is not that everybody can beat it easily (I can't, but so what). --Ulkomaalainen 02:58, 7 December 2011 (UTC)
Main Quest Glitch
I have accounted a glitch which prevents me from completing the main quest. When you are to make the peace treaty between the imperial and stormcloaks, you will have no problem convincing the imperials to accept the gray wards invitation, but with Ulric, i accoutered a problem. I was on the first quest you receive when you want to join the rebellion, when I talked to Ulric, even with the main quest mark above his head; he only said you had to finish the quest given to you by his second in command. It was no other dialog choices on the screen. First thing i did was completing the quest and speak to the second in command afterwards, but when i tried to talk to him he just said he was angry at me for making Ulric talk with the imperials, he had the quest mark above his head for handing in the frost powder of the frost wraith you killed in the ‘’Join the stormcloaks’’ quest, but again, no dialog choices came on the screen, afterwards i tried my luck again speaking to Ulric, but again there were no dialog choices and he just told me to speak to the second in command again about some errand. When i spoke to the second in command again, he said the exact same words i last did when i spoke to him and now i can’t open a dialog conversation with either. Both of them have quest marks above them, but you can’t activate either of the questes at hand. It simply makes it impossible to proceed with the main quest and ruins the game. I only hope this glitch will be fixed soon so i can proceed completing the main quest in Skyrim.
are you playing pc or console? on pc just use command to complete that portion of quest and you should be able to move on.
---I'm having the same issue above. I'm playing on Xbox. I've tried reloading, finishing up other quests, waiting, sleeping, coming and going. Still no luck. Not able to get the dialogue box for neither Galmar nor Ulfric nor the girl for the Imperial. :/
NPCs Getting Stuck
A vendor (Ulfberth) was getting stuck at a particular spot in my game and not opening his shop. I solved part of the problem on my PC by using the "tc" console command to help him along his path. Since I have seen others complaining of the same bug elsewhere, I posted this info to the NPC's page.
The reason I'm posting here is because I'm curious if some of the other complaints I've seen about NPCs not being where they're supposed to be might be caused by similar problems. If any other PC players experience a missing NPC, please use the "player.moveto" (if the NPC is nowhere to be found) and "tc" console commands to see if this solves your problem. If so, perhaps we should post the solution for PC users on this general "Glitches" page.
Can no longer trade with Oengul War-Anvil
On 360, after installing the 11/30 patch and then installing the game to the hard drive, I no longer have the "What have you got for sale?" conversation option when speaking to Oengul War-Anvil (blacksmith of Windhelm) and therefore can no longer buy from him or sell to him. I am able to speak to him and use his smithy, I just can't barter with him. I've never attacked him or anything. I installed the patch, then began installing the game and went to bed, letting my console shut down automatically. Next time I booted the game and went to Windhelm, the option was gone. I am not aware of a fix, and so far he is the only vendor I'm having a problem with.
Hi! Sadly, as it is, most Games from Bethesda (and most other Games too) require a 'after-Patched-the-Game' RESTART of the Game, since changed parameters (like NPC Health, Barter Options) etc. might be the same, or slightly CHANGED, but the SAVEGAME still uses the OLD parameters and values, and therefore, as long as the game doesnt 'autopatch' such changes when it detects them, it WILL cause weird things to happen, or might even crash the Game after a short while. I dont say "RESTART!", but I have A LOT of EXP with all kinds of Games, and Patches usually screw up the Savegames, esp. when the Savegames save things that are (set to be) fixed values, and all-a-sudden they are changed.
- After four games of Bethesda, I have yet to encounter a Patch that screws up my save game through changed parameters. The problem may exist sometimes (and/or be resolved by a later patch) but the above statement certainly is way too broad. Any decent company will only release patches "killing" save games (thus making all the play everybody did worthless) if there is really no other way at all. --Ulkomaalainen 04:00, 5 December 2011 (UTC)
Levelup Sound/Notification Bar gone, occasionally
Platform: PC Sometimes, the Level progress bar/skill advancement notification disappears, leaving me leveling up 5 times in a row without noticing, and without being, well, notified that some skills improved. A restart is required to get it back, and then it works. It seems to involve the stones (Lovers stone, guardian stones), since they alter the level progress 'speed', and may screw up the ingame progress notifications.
Platform: Xbox Same happened to me twice after changing into werewolf beastform and was again fixed with a restart.
Reported but unconfirmed that simply waiting will cause the NPC to eventually end the conversation.
Moved from main page:
§§§This is true. I have initiated conversations with characters, then gone to the restroom or answered a phone call, returning to find my character alone, out of the dialogue interface.§§§ — Unsigned comment by 184.108.40.206 (talk) at 22:53 on 3 December 2011
bound axe glitch
Whenever I summon a bound axe, unless I am currently holding a weapon in my other hand (torches, spells and the like don't count), my character acts like he's holding it, but he doesnt actually gain it and I can't equip any weapons or spells after that or lower my fists. (Eddie The Head 10:57, 4 December 2011 (UTC))
Arrows in Water
They seem to be constantly hitting the water and will splash every few seconds. -ElPhantazmo 18:50, 4 December 2011 (UTC)
- I've noticed that as well, and it's not just arrows. NPCs and frostbite spiders, and presumably other creatures, will do this occaisionally. --Halfstache 01:08, 5 December 2011 (UTC)
Skyrim Reunification Quest
If the fortress that you are trying to take over have been clearer prior to the mission, it is possible that there will be no enemies showing up during your mission. This will result in a discontinuation of the quest objective, as when you enter the fort the mission will fail.
Not a glitch
"Werewolf Pack Brahmin: If you finally got some coin and bought a house with an enchanter and a ton of place to show off your bad gear (Windhelm) and you want to move all those dragon bones/ scales, turn into a werewolf and all your gear becomes weightless on your journey to your new home be sure to stop by a towere or cave and get yourself a snack to ensure you dont turn back a few feet short once in your new home wait and presto 10,000 pounds of gear transfered one easy shot."
This isn't a glitch - the werewolf weightlessness is intended and this is just something that can be done normally under its effect. If for some reason it IS a glitch, some commas and apostrophes here and there would go a long way... Eevables 18:59, 6 December 2011 (UTC)
"Tips" disguised as "Glitches"
There are many personal tips (esp. those under Skills and Gold) posted as glitches. While they may be useful information, this is a glitch page and not a Traveler Guide to Skyrim.
- Trainers can be pickpocketed to get your gold back from training, and any follower companion who is a trainer (Faendal is an early example) can be simply traded with to take the gold back. With maximum pickpocket skill + gold perk, the limit for being able to steal it back is 2000 gold after which you simply have a flat 0% chance. At higher level skills you may need to pickpocket it back every training session to make sure you can take it back.
- Restoration can be leveled infinitely outside of combat by standing near any damage source, such as on a flame trap or at the start of the approach to The Throat of the World in High Hrothgar before it has been unlocked.
- Using the vendor trade exploit you can also continue to sell their own items back to them for 0 gold for Speech experience.
People who can still edit the page should remove them. 220.127.116.11 22:30, 8 December 2011 (UTC)
upd: vendor trade exploit - fixed in v1.2
Cloning the Oghma Infinium
To my knowledge, there are two methods to duplicate the Oghma Infinium. It is unknown to me if they work patched, as i discovered them un-patched.
Method one: Place the oghma infinium into a bookshelf, leave the menu. Reopen the bookshelf's inventory before the book spawns; it will spawn with the menu open. Take all to close the menu immediately and begin to attempt to read the book (you should be looking at where it spawns of course, else you won't have time!). If timed correctly you will pick up and commence to open the book; once you've opened it, you. Can take it to have a second copy in your inventory. Also be warned, i don't know what i did to do this but, its not all that difficult to make your bookshelf unusable.
Method two: This one is much easier, and faster, and won't ruin your bookshelf. Just punch a guard in the face, and go to jail. Break out successfully and go punch another guard in the face; go to jail yet again and serve your time. The Oghma Infinium will be duplicated upon your release.
I discovered method two while messing with the glitch to wear multiple sets of armor; I started out carrying 308/350 pounds of mostly heavy armor so it would all be weightless anyhow, I also had 67 Oghma infiniums. After three trips to jail, and wearing my full sets of dragon plate, ebony, and orcish armors; i for some reason was over encumbered by over a thousand pounds. when i searched my inventory, i found that i now had more than 1200 oghma infiniums, which i immediately began selling.
Nothing on the Gauldur Amulet?
The Gauldur Amulet, in the same manner as the Falmer Helmet, can allow a second amulet to be worn. Unlike the Falmer Helmet, however, you can replace the Gauldur Amulet and have two identical fortify effects. When the Gauldur Amulet is equipped, equip your desired second amulet. Save and reload the game. When you select an alternate necklace to wear, it will replace the Gauldur Amulet, and not the other one. This effectively increases the amount of fortify skill enchants available, especially for alchemy and smithing. Torinir 18:58, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
The Ultimate Enchanter/Alchemist
Using the combined glitches of wearing multiple sets of armor, (armor being all 6 pieces worn on the body, not including shield,) and enchanting headgear, necklaces, rings and gauntlets, you can make enchantments and potions of extreme strengths. After enchanting a said armor with, let's say 25% fortify alchemy, perform the jail glitch with say 8 pieces of armor, (2 head, neck, ring and hands). After performing the glitch, you will find that the fortify alchemy effects Do stack together. Repeat for better alchemy results. When first trying this glitch wearing 7 pieces of armor, i was able to create a +43% fortify enchantment potion, (valued at 125 gold). Once enough potions have been made with say, 1300% fortify alchemy bonus, you could then use them to create powerful enchantment e.g. fortify barter 100%...or make some more fortify alchemy gloves so you can remove all your armor and wear something you want for a while before returning to alchemy/enchanting.
- Note, using the "Steed" Standing Stone will reduce anything you are wearing to 0 weight whilst you have it equiped, allowing the infinite armor to be donned...Have fun you guys!
- Note 2, using the same type of item e.g. 2 Silver Amethyst Rings with the same effects (and power e.g. 2x28%) will cancel each other out and only one will be worn upon leaving the jail, even if named differently, (Ring 1 and Ring 2 became Ring 2(2)).
Falmer Helmet/Ebony Helmet glitch
It seems the Gauldur Amulet glitch mentioned earlier can prevent the Falmer Helmet/Ebony Helmet glitch from working, as the game will try to replace the Falmer Helmet instead of the dragon priest mask, which will unequip both. Might be something to note in the main article. Torinir 03:13, 10 December 2011 (UTC)
Enchanting Table glitch and probable cause
The Enchanting Table glitch seems to hit if the player's perspective changes in the enchanting menus and leaves enchanting while in first person perspective. For players, this can frequently occur when using the mouse instead of keyboard for menu navigation. To avoid the glitch, either use the keyboard during enchanting or make sure the character's perspective is in third person prior to leaving the enchanting menu. Torinir 20:10, 10 December 2011 (UTC)
- I encountered it only when navigating up with the mouse but can basically second anything said here. --Ulkomaalainen 07:57, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
I can't get off the wagon at the start
My game started fine, the voices are there and Ralof spoke to me a little bit. But when we were supposed to get off the wagon, the wagon which stopped before us started to ram into the wall. It doesn't stop and nobody moves after that. I've tried installing DirectX from the setup folder (a guy with the same problem fixed it the same way) but it didn't work. I reinstalled Skyrim, updated drivers, i even downloaded a save but there were no NPC voices in the save. I use Windows XP and my computer handles most games fine.
- That's strange, maybe there is something wrong with your computer itself. Do a virus scan and maybe use system restore if there are any problems. Also, make sure your computer meets all the game requirements. If that doesn't work then maybe you can get a mod or patch later on. Other than that, you could return the game and get it on Xbox or PS3.RIM 20:11, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
Well, scanned it with NOD 32 and a spyware program, there is nothing wrong it seems. (Maybe NOD 32 could have missed it, will try another antivirus program tomorrow) i checked the requirements and it is between min and recommended.
- Not really sure what to say, maybe you could get a mod or patch of some kind. Either that or return the game and get it on another platform.RIM 23:07, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
They are the only options left, i suppose, anyway thanks for your help.
- No problem, you might be able to use console commands to activate the start of the quest but I don't play on PC so I'm not sure.RIM 23:17, 11 December 2011 (UTC)
I searched for codes in the internet but i couldn't find them, i don't know programming so i can't look into the game files, so my only hope is returning or waiting for a fix.
Entertaining Hand Glitch
I've searched a bit and haven't found this already posted anywhere so as far as i'm concerned i found this. I'm playing on Xbox so i can only hotkey 2 items, i use my bow and quick healing/lightning storm. Basically what happened was i had healing equipped on both hands and hit left on the d-pad to equip my bow, but instead of letting the animation run it's course i got attacked and switched back (right on d-pad)to healing while the hands were off screen. When they came back up only my left hand was visible in first person mode, third person was unaffected and switching between them doesn't fix the glitch. I can still cast with the right hand in first person and receive any effect from the spell, just no animation (the exception being flames/frostbite/sparks shooting out of nowhere). Dual casting still works but the right hand is still invisible, making for some satisfying casting animations. This only works with spells and bows to my knowledge and it is repeatable. I actually run around all the time with just my left hand out. Equipping anything other than another one handed spell will cancel the glitch.
Spectral Assassin does not appear as a ghost
This only happened once to me, but at the end of "Darkness Returns" for the thieves guild, I decided to just summon the spectral assassin (a.k.a Lucian Lachances ghost) during the part where Gallus and karliah were talking, at first he didnt show up, but a few moments later he appeared, but for some reason he wasnt a ghost, he had an actual body and you could see his clothes, which were normal black hand robe things (I forget what they are called, Festus in the dark brotherhood is wearing them) and you could see that he uses an iron dagger. He had black eyes with purple glowing pupils, stubble on his chin, and as far as I could tell he had no hair. This only happened to me once
- Please sign your posts. Did Lachance revert back to ghost form after a while? I've noticed a similar effect several times (notably in Labyrinthian) when a fully solid person spawns just before the specter effect is applied - in other words, it flickers to a ghost milliseconds after spawning as a not-ghost. 18.104.22.168 08:46, 12 December 2011 (UTC)
Merchants in Solitude are sore losers
If you take over Solitude for the Stormcloaks, the three merchants with the fish, vegetable, and wine stands will not sell to you because the option is not available in dialogue. Not sure if this is intended or not, but I think this is a glitch. 22.214.171.124 08:38, 12 December 2011 (UTC)
why on earth is my Argonian getting poisoned? Argonians aren't affected by poison
All resistances are broken as of patch 1.2 . This includes race abilities like the argonian's poison or nord's frost. A bit annoying esp if that's the reason you chose that character. (Altmer ftw)
Also... I could be wrong, but I think I remember checking AND it does not say Argonians are immune to poison. Because if you go to your spells there is a section that is something like active effects. No "Immune To Poison" One reason I think this might be the case is because Wood Elves DO have a thing that says 50% immune to poison.
All my saves got corrupted - is there way to fix them?
I was playing normally and tried to quick load. It failed because of corrupted save. Then I tried loading auto saves and older normal saves, but they all were corrupted too! Game worked completely normal up to this point. No crashing or anything that would normally cause problem like this.
I am playing on PC. Game is updated to the newest version. Tried to manually change backup saves to normal but that didn't help.
Is there any way to fix my saves? 126.96.36.199 20:04, 13 December 2011 (UTC)
Physics glitch regarding corpses
Seconds after killing two Sabre Tigers with a bound bow, their corpses started spinning and eventually flew out of sight. Did anyone else get this kind of glitch? With any kind of corpse at all?
I wasn't sure if I'd add it to the main page because this is the first time I've seen this behavior.
- Sometimes when I'm using a bow, the game acts like I'm using high velocity arrows. Sometimes people go flying once they've been struck dead by an arrow. When I say flying, I mean they literally went straight up about 20 or so feet. What's even more amusing is, is that while the body goes flying off in one direction, their weapon they were holding goes flying off in the opposite direction. One more thing I noticed about bows is if you have the bullseye perk and you kill something, and the perk happens to take effect on the last shot, the enemy's corpse enters into rigor mortis immediately. Typically dead bodies are like a rag doll, you can move their arms and legs about, but when this glitch/mechanic triggers, the enemy's entire body is stiff. It doesn't matter if you pick up an arm or leg, the entire body goes with it in the same position as if it were frozen solid, or entered rigor mortis too early (188.8.131.52 06:32, 14 December 2011 (UTC)).
- Rigor Mortis happens also if you get the killing blow with a weapon enchanted to paralyze or poisoned the arrow with paralyze. The moment they die the corpse freezes and hits the ground with no rag doll effect. I thought it was kind of cool IMHO. Oanpah 11:59, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
Vendors wont sell items
every time i ask a vendor, "what have you got for sale?" they vendor will reply but not open up the shop inventory. i cant buy or sell anything. how do i fix this?
I'm having the same issue in Riverwood. The clerk usually just thanks me for returning his claw when I try to activate him. This sux bcuz in told that increasing in the riverwood trader ups the merchants.good there to.12k (much more than normal)
Infinite Loading Screen / Dragonfly Stole My Horse
I have only managed to do this a couple of times, but I feel it's worth mentioning. If you park your horse on the side of a mountain (or any steep surface) and then mount your horse, you will enter an infinite loop of loading screens. This has a higher chance of happening if your horse is "jittering" or "shaking" when you mount it.
While running on my horse through the marshes by Ustengraav (sp?) I stopped to look at the scenery, when a dragonfly ran into my horse and pushed both me and my horse up into the sky. Fortunately I got some screenshots. You can see the dragonfly towards the rear of the horse. When the dragonfly suddenly changed direction and stopped pushing me and my horse, we both fell to our deaths. (184.108.40.206 09:48, 14 December 2011 (UTC))
I get loading screens that last about 15 minutes and just as you do i get infinite loading screens constantly or always whenever i go to jail which made me have no choice but kill all the guards im hoping this gets fixed this happen to anyone else? If it matters im on the xbox 360 platform anyone know a solution i dont wanna start a game over iv put 41 hours into my save iv heard a rumor its happening to others due to an update and when theyr save reaches 5mb.[[Skyrim:|Skyrim:]]
Constant under water sound
I keep hearing the "under water" sound when on land. I can't seen to find the trigger, but it is always when I'm either hear a body of water, or I've come out of a lake and the sound just repeats endlessly. The only way I've found how to stop it is to completely quit the game and reload. It's extremely annoying. Does anyone have any idea how to stop this? Maybe even deleting the specific sound file? Does anyone know what the "under water"sound file name is? On pc — Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk) at 21:33 on 14 December 2011
Exploit - Alteration - Waterbreathing
Hello, I have found another exploit related to developing skills. If one stands in the water (but now very deep, so that one is still able to cast spells) and casts repeatedly Waterbreathing one's Alteration increases.
Bookshelfs seem to have an ordinary storage bin in the back of them.
As in you can store any item in the back of a bookshelf that if you remove or add an item it breaks the bookshelf the most evident example is the dawnstar dark brother sanctuary if you get the bedroom upgrade there is a bookshelf inside that is very easy to get to the back of.----Candc4, Also known as the Man Inside the Sexy Leather Pants CT 18:31, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
WereWolf & Vampier Hybrid and other werewolf glitches
Okay first off is the multi undead HYBRID 1) so if you wanna be both become a vampier and head to the town at bottom of map folk___ something go to the barracks and get the cursed ring of hericin you will notice it never comes off HOWEVER get on a horse and wait 24 hours you will change while on the horse this will split you character in 2 1 is your visual syce the other your wolf body now wait an hour for your body to become human again move your screen to the horse and get on this will fuse you character back together
you can now treat the "CURSED RING OF HERICINE" as a standard beast form spell but it works like this you cannot just randomly equip it as the ring has a random change but the ring runs on its own timer and after its timer accumulates 24 hours just like the beast form spell you can use it for a guarenteed change YOU CAN UN-equip and re-equip as MUCH AS YOU LIKE :)
Please when doing this once your character is split dont walk anywhere unless you feel like reloading as you movement moves your body with no visual
werewolf is broken in the transitions there are many forms of glitches I will type off
if you hadn't noticed when returning to HUMAN your character disappears for a moment
so if your doing 1 thing when you reappear your still doing it
2) standing on ground but when you dissappear you move yourself into water you resume standing but can now walk on water beds Success rate is 50%
3) swimming in water but whne you dissappear you move yourself onto Land you resume swimming but can now swim in air AKA FLY success rate is 5% if less based on water current and ground layout
OTHER WEREWOLF GLITCH METHODS
4) as a wolf reverting you can for a moment activate sneak then you dissappear and reappear your walking around normally but with your sneak active --works well with ebony mail lol--
5) become a werewolf standing on ground and wait an hour when screen flashes mash your button to ride your horse until you get on you body is left behind --Note you have to reload after doing this to get body back--
6) There are immortal NPC's due to missions become a wolf and Smack them hard enough to send them flying once make sure that their the last enemy around when doing so , so that you can wait an hour. after your wait they will be sliding around on their back, buts, groin, head, or whatever until you leave that load out zone.
Re-animating a dead corpse allows you to get copys of there EQUIPPED CLOTHING ONLY so kill this person you wanna copy and strip there items RAISE them now go though a loadout door once loaded you'll see there clothes// good armor is back majority of the time
however re-animation were's off turning them to dust Unless your lvl 100 with the THRALL dead spell which once your re-animated person dies they go back to a standard corpse able to be revived again lol
Okay head on over to a forge and jump up and down every time you jump the damage gets 20% increase of flame or Finish the Storm cloaks war for Ulfric which ends in solitude just outside the main objective on the path that leads from blue palace to the combat training grounds there is a big pile of wood on fire which only requires you to stand on and it burns you no buttons required
either restore health with majic or Get enchanted items for ALOT of health regenoration to restore faster than loss rate
Whirlwind sprint SPEED until you hit a wall
okay so get on a slightly elevated slant say a 30-40 degree angle looking slightly at the grounds direction use it
your sprint lifts you off the ground but looking at it with a slight elevation will force you feeting into the ground for a heart beat of a moment then pushes you back in though you hardly left to begin with but your now walking with the wirlwind sprint speed until you hit a wall or take an elevating slant in a wrong direction
universal and unique skill leveling exploit (affects all skills)
After a bit of research and finding out that as of 1.2 you can use super strong fortify restoration potions (+10,000%) to get epic enchantments on armor and also finding out this works with the amulet of talos to get infinite thu'um usage, i did some experimenting and this is what i've found.
The fortify restoration effect fortifies anything that will become an active effect, which is why it still works on the amulet of talos for thu'um cooldown even though it is a special enchantment.
Active effects values are set when they are initially applied, so when you drink a fortify restoration 100% potion and follow up by equipping an amulet of talos, it gives you a 40% cooldown rather than 20%.
The active effect stays even after the potion wears off because the effect was obtained when it was still active, so while the potion wears of after 60 seconds, the active effects that were boosted by it stay until they are manually removed.
After some dinking around i discovered this works with standing stones, i just about burned a hole in my pants when i figured this out. (on xbox here so any and all exploits are fantabulous).
Basically the glitch is to use fortify alchemy enchants and perform the loop glitch with fortify restoration and eventually make about 20 fortify resoration 10,000% potions, then all you have to do is drink one and within 60 seconds activate the lover's stone (all skills lavel up 15% faster) which when used together nets you all skills improve 1515% faster (or even more if your potions are stronger). You will then keep this effect after the potion wears off because it was applied while the potion was active. This can be used with any standing stone for extreme benifits that don't necessarily break the game, like the steed stone for huge encumberance or the apprentice stone for unlimited magic usage while being super weak to magic attacks or even the lady stone for super healing and stamina regeneration in combat. It is also important to note that when you look at the active effects, the numbers will revert to normal once the potion wears off, but the effects themselves will stay the same. i.e. "fortify alchemy 10,000%" will revert to "fortify alchemy 25%" but you will still maintain the effects from the initial fortify 10,000% although it is no longer listed.
Thanks for the tip. I had noticed the boost stayed until after the item was unequipped, but I didn't think to try it with standing stone bonuses. FYI- this will also increase the intensity of *any* weapon or armor perks you have- I have at least one perk in every single weapon/armor skill tree, and as such, every single weapon or piece of armor got a *substantial* bonus which lasts until it is unequipped. Similarly, all my Destruction spells were boosted because I have the full Augment Flames/Frost/Shock skillset, but again, only while they stayed equipped. On a related note- does anybody know if leveling up absurdly quickly like this can have drawbacks, such as not being able to reach level 81? I could swear gaining multiple skill levels at once netted less overall EXP than doing it gradually, but that could just be my imagination. 18.104.22.168 20:06, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
- As far as leveling slower to get more overall xp, i have no idea. I've only ever been able to get to lvl 81 1/2 regardless of how fast i level up, but then again it seems everyone's copy of the game has differences. My next step is to check out other quest related perks/effects like prowlers profit or the fire within, i think it'd be pretty awesome for the fire breath shout to instant kill. It would make for an epic Alduin fight.
- I think it is just an imagination problem. When you level up multiple levels at once, the EXP bar will go forth as it should but the display is strange. When you train 5 steps at a trainer, immediately after activating the first step it will move forward a bit. Unless you wait, you will have levelled all 5 steps before the animation is over, after that, the second step will already show the whole EXP gain (the graphic does not update due to the improvement but to your new EXP level total) which leads to trainings 3 to 5 showing no improvements at all. As for "multiple level ups" though (like picking a master lock at level 17 which I did) I cannot vouch. --Ulkomaalainen 09:19, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
- This is currently a central discussion on the alchemy talk page, and, as a direct consequence of intended game mechanics, probably shouldn't be listed as a "glitch". It's also posting the exact same discovery in multiple places.
I've notice Skjor appearing in random places in the world after he has died. I've seen him in Darkwater Crossing where he is buried in the ground up to his waist and "floating" through the ground. I have the option to "Talk", but he doesn't respond. He has his eyes closed in the manner of a corpse. When I attacked him he started talking to me. Erinn Teeter 15:12, 16 December 2011 (UTC)
The same sort of thing happened to me except that He came completely back to life being able to speak to him and get quests from him saying that I needed to prove my self whilst humerously I am the Harbinger, has this happened to anyone alse? --TheUnlivingDead--
The foggy weather
If you save and quit the game while it is foggy, so that the graphics look brighter, and load that save later on, the bright effect will stay forever. Tested that, fast travel, sleeping, entering indoors do not solve the glitch. My character does not have the clear weather shout so I have not tested it. And he's spending all his time in Whiterun, so I have not tested if starting House of Horror in Markarth would fix it. --Joshua.yathin.yu 18:04, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
I have successfully resolved the issue by learning a word of thu'um, in High Hrothgar. Maybe learning from a wall will also resolve it. --Joshua.yathin.yu 08:24, 21 December 2011 (UTC)
Damaged Skill Glitch
Last night I encountered a really aggravating glitch - my character's archery is showing up at 15 (in red, as if it were damaged due to disease) instead of his actual 48. No diseases or negative effects are displayed in the Active Effects menu. It appears to be decreasing the damage on my bow, although re-equipping it seems to correct that. After a little googling, this seems pretty common. I haven't tried it yet, but the best (sounding) solution I've seen suggested is training the skill up a level. 22.214.171.124 19:43, 20 December 2011 (UTC)
Hero of the People glitch/exploit
The Xbox 360 achievement for completing 50 Misc Objectives by simply starting a gathering quest, like Madesi the Jeweler's (started in Riften) and acquiring the items being searched for them simply dropping and re-picking them up. I first noticed this when recovering my items from being jailed and grabbing the 2 flawless sapphires i had in my inventory. If you drop the items, the sapphires in my case, or remove them from your inventory otherwise the misc objective is reset to the "incomplete" status. Upon retrieving the missing item the objective switches to the "complete" status. Since the achievement does not require the objectives to be different, this effect stacks until the achievement is achieved granting 30 Gamerscore. I retested this by using my brother's Xbox live account, he didn't have the achievement yet, and activating the same quest and dropping/picking up the gold ingot required for the objective's completion.
Vendors reset to earlier status by quickloading
If you quicksave before entering a shop cell you can cause a nasty bug upon quickloading. After the 2nd load the vendors inventory is set back to the last time you entered the shop. This can result in the vendor having no money at all. It seems the bug occurs more frequently in shops with more than one NPC present. This bug can also freeze the vendors inventory permanently. Although it seems, that the vendors amount of gold is reset after 72 hours. Triggering the bug on purpose was successful in 9 out of ten times. So I think it has to do with the quicksaving and/or quickloading protocols in general.
I have no fix other than reload a savegame before ever quicksaving in a city cell.
Fast Punches Glitch
If you have a staff (of any kind), you can make your punches much faster. Equip your staff in your right hand and a favorited spell (of any kind) in your left hand. Un-equip the spell via the favorites list, and you will do punches much faster, up to 4 punches in 1 second versus the usual 1 per sec. When you start a punch, the glitch will cause it to reset early, and you will be able to start another punch.The punches will do normal damage, but if wou add Kajiit claws, Fists of Steel, a pair of Daedric gauntlets, and maybe some enchantments, wou can easily win a fist fight with a bear. You will not, however, be able to do any "finishing moves".If you start punches too fast, it will do a power attack at a normal speed.WARNING: If you fast travel with this glitch active, it will cause people to start floating towards the sky (It happened once, going to Solitude).
Random appearance of dead dragon while exiting from interior
I've encountered two instances of the same bug. The first time, I was on the quest of some massacre in Gallows Rock. Before I got into the fort, there was no dragon. When I've finished butchering the foes and exit to Skyrim from the fort, an empty dragon appeared. It didn't burn into bones and didn't give a soul. The other time, I was shopping in Belathor's General Goods in Whiterun. When I entered, no dragon. When I exited, a dragon dead appeared on the roof, having its tail laying on the ground. It's also empty and no soul. Before seeing these dragons, all dragons I killed burned and gave souls, not a single exception. And these random dead dragons, are simply dragons, unlevelled. --Joshua.yathin.yu 14:43, 23 December 2011 (UTC)
This glitch will only apply in a specific hold. For example, if you manage to to got a dead dragon around in Whiterun hold, it will randomly spawn dead around you for some arbitrary of time. And if you go to another hold, like Hjaalmarch, this dragon won't appear. Also tested, being away from the hold for several days does not remove the dragon. The dead dragon will always be the same dragon. And even under this glitch, random encounters of dragons are still possible, and those dragons you kill will burn into bones normally. The dragon does not affect much gameplay, but a rather unnice sight to see, as you pass through corpses instead of being blocked. And corpses will interact with other corpses and objects. If the dragon happens to appear dead in the market, it will stir up quite a bit the goods on the stores. But all NPC's do not react to the dragon corpse. --Joshua.yathin.yu 10:34, 27 December 2011 (UTC)
Ebony Armor glitch
When i put on my ebony armor on a black circle appears around your neck and when I wear the ebony helm my head shadow disappears
if one uses the become etheral shout, your stamina becomes intact, not sure is this is a glitch though
if one travels to the dwarven museum in markarth and stands on a ledge near the center, where a dwarven centurion can be found, and jumps, sometimes you will see how water does not materialize properly. sometimes you will be able to see an endless flowing body of water
stuck on replay!
during the final battle, of either faction, of the civil war quests, the standard in battle music will play, however if one enters the stronhold to make the enemy surrender before all the waves of enemies have advanced, the music will continue to play. it will continue to endlessly play untill one loads a different save, or travels else were.
Immune to Magic
from what I've seen on youtube (and tested in game) children are 100% immune to magic and shouts. I've tried a multitude of spells (all the novice and apprentice spells, though i plan to eventually try all of them) and I have tried unrelenting force, fire breath, and frost breath. I am almost certain this is a bug. should this be added to the main page?
- Children are invulnerable, yes, this is most certainly intended (as it was with previous Bethesda games like Fallout 3). So not a glitch but WAD. --Ulkomaalainen 23:24, 24 December 2011 (UTC)
Do stormdrains disappear for anyone else when you look STRAIT down at them? Not a big deal, just an interesting observation.
I saved in whiterun, then turned into a werewolf. I got the sword still equipped as werewolf bug. Then I went on a rampage and died to the guards. I reloaded the saved game and then my attacks were glitched. Bashing and power attacks had the same damage as a weapon strike and did not stagger. I took s stab at the problem and turned into a werewolf again and waited it out. Then my attacks worked as intended. SeaAdmiral 07:46, 25 December 2011 (UTC)
Moved the following from the main page since in this form it is more a discussion entry than a glitch and help description, maybe someone can work this in somehow. --Ulkomaalainen 09:04, 27 December 2011 (UTC)
- ===Lag / Lagging===
- It appears that slow-down in the game has been most seriously affected the PS3, but there are also many complaints by PC players. One thing that must be said again, because it is human nature to forget the basics: Update your drivers, especially for your graphics and sound cards. The Bethesda forums contains a link to a comprehensive "Skyrim Optimization Guide" produced by NVIDIA: . At level 37 with save game file sizes of 10Mb+ on a fairly new but not super-powered system, I suddenly experienced game-breaking lag. The game became slow to react to the mouse and menu commands processed slowly. I followed several steps in the guide referenced above, including updating my graphics and sound card drivers, clearing up some hard disk space, etc., and--at least for now--I am back to playing normally. I am not sure which of my steps did the trick, and the idea is out there that the game may simply need to process too much data after a certain number of hours or amount of activities, and that lag is inevitable at some point. (Searching online for "skyrim lag" reveals huge amounts of information, experiences, opinions, etc.) But for now, I am back in business. There is one more point from my research that remains in mind: In some article, an executive at Bethesda is quoted as giving some advice for reducing, preventing, or fixing lag. It is aimed primarily at PS3 users, but was framed as containing tips that could improve performance on all platforms. It included advice to wait or rest (for up to 30 days!) in order to let the all of the player's activities with the Skyrim world update, and for many of them to "clear." As part of my own process, I waited just once, for 24 hours, and I don't know if this contributed to my positive result. After waiting, the advice was to "save, reset [a specifically PS3 instruction, I guess, which may translate to quitting and restarting the game and/or restarting your computer] and reload."
Can't Quit Without Hard Restart (PC)
That's basically it. I pressed Esc, and when I went to quit to desktop or main screen, both options flashed white for a millisecond and were then unresponsive. The only way to exit the game was to hard restart the computer. Hardly something I'd want to do every time I play. I have not seen this bug mentioned anywhere else, and at this point I've wasted $60 on an unplayable game.
126.96.36.199 02:53, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
- Never heard that happen. Have you tried clicking on them although they're greyed out? Can you go back out of the menu by using TAB and reenter? Does the Task Manager still work? (not helping but trying to pinpoint the problem here). --Ulkomaalainen 10:04, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
- Try "~" then "qqq": it's much faster anyway. Aliana 10:47, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for the responses. :) Ulkomaalainen, clicking on them does nothing; they are totally unresponsive, and neither alt+tab nor the task manager work. I have a Lenovo with Windows 7 64-bit that runs Oblivion without any problems, so I don't know what's going on. I'll try that tip, Aliana, thanks.
188.8.131.52 21:05, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
- Actually I meant more the in-game way of leaving menus (TAB or ESC) but if the task manager won't help, that probably won't either. Oblivion is of course less demanding on the CPU but still, especially if you do not have major other performance problems, that's kind of strange. --Ulkomaalainen 22:58, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
Strange Companions Glitch
I have discovered a glitch to do with the companion that died during the mission just after the player becomes a werewolf,I was buying from the companion skyforge smithy upgrades for my smithing, that after I upgraded my smithing up to 9 times with a level up in between it lagged up just before it completed the ninth upgrade, it took about 10-20 seconds until it completed it and when I went inside the dead companion was sitting in a chair calling the player a whelp and said that you need to prove yourself. but what is strange is that I am the Harbinger of the Companions, can anyone help me with this? or tell me whether this has been discovered before? --TheUnlivingDead-28/12/2011--[[Skyrim:|
Weapon, Spell, or Other Item Won't Equip into the Hand(s) You Want
Whenever I equip a spell to my right hand I can not change it. If I am using a certain spell I want to dual wield I pick a spell and it automatically makes it Left hand weapon. If I try clicking on the Right hand spell to make it unequipped That spell is immediately dual wielded. The only way I can change a spell equipped in my Right hand is to equip a one handed weapon in my Right hand. Two handed doesn't work because it just switches between one handed and two handed. This makes being a Mage very difficult because I need to change spells a lot.
- A new spell goes to your left hand per default, true. It only goes to your right hand if it is the same spell as on the left hand. The best way to use this I have yet found is to double-equip (dual wield) the spell for the right hand and then re-equip yor left hand spell which will go to the left hand or use one of the menus (magic/favorite), but remember that mouse clicks are switched, so right-clicking will equip a spell on your left hand and vice versa. --Ulkomaalainen 09:06, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
- Simiarly to Ulkomaalainen, I use the following method: 1) Keep a two-handed weapon, such as a bow, hot-keyed; 2) If a two-handed weapon is not already selected, select it by pressing the associated hot key; 3) (To dual-wield), attach the spell or item to a hot key and press it twice; (To select two different items into each hand): press a hot key for first one and then the other. If someone has a comprehensive guide to controlling how to get the items that you want into the hand(s) that you want them, I would love to read it. Jreynolds2 00:29, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
- That may be due to a confusion between the key of selection and the key of hands. In PS3, they are all different buttons, Circle as Selection, L1 as Left Hand, R1 as Right Hand. I wonder if the "glitch" involves having Selection and Right Hand mapped to the same key, illa est the mouse's Left Click. If you remap the keys, it may be "unglitched". --Joshua.yathin.yu 13:13, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
- I was assuming the OP talked about the 8 PC hotkeys for wielding something. Navigating the menus does make it completely easy to equip in the correct position - on the other hand (no pun intended), navigating the menus tends to be what scholars call a PITA. --Ulkomaalainen 16:02, 30 December 2011 (UTC)
Using wooden plates/bowls to go through walls.
Using any item with the ability to look through the bottom/back of it when pushed against a wall it is possible to push through the wall. Use the 'drag' button to place a wooden bowl or plate (or other items such as baskets or cooking pots) and hold it against a wall with the back end or which ever end sticks out the most facing you. Use whirlwind sprint or normal sprint to hit your face(in first person view) into the back of the item and you should go straight through the wall. This can be used to get to the ebony blade without doing the quest required or find the hidden merchant chests under shops.
I seem to be having trouble with this glitch. I can get "out" of the cell but within about 1 second i am teleported back in where i inittially spawned or where the merchant usually stands. I can't seem to get under the cell while inside a shop cell.
You will be teleported back to the entrance of the cell if you "fall out" the cell. Try to get out side the cell but remain on a stable part of the interior of the cell. A good place to practice is in river wood trader. You will see what I mean.
Unable to trade
I have encountered a glitch that makes it impossible to trade with merchants. Once you select the barter option the merchant just says his line but it never goes into the barter screen. Also when conversing with NPC the next dialogue options do not pop out and instead it's stuck with the dialogue option which was selected. I am not sure what triggers this bug but the only solution if have came across is loading back to a previous save file. Has anyone else experienced this bug?184.108.40.206 05:51, 31 December 2011 (UTC)
Follower disapearing and nowhere to be found
So I just went to see the graybeards about dragonrend they got pissed and sent me to the top of the mountin after teaching me the clear fog shout (can't remember exact name) so me vigilance my dog and Belrand my follower climbed up to the top. Vigilance came all the way up but belrand fell behind. I did that then dropped down and talked to the graybeards. Vigilance was still near me but Belrand was MIA. I figured he was just a little behind so I fast traveled to the college of winter hold and he didn't show up I checked his bar and searched the whole mountain and I can't find him. Any thoughts? On Xbox 360
|Prev: None||Up: Skyrim talk:Glitches||Next: Archive 2|