|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|Make a save or rely on the most recent auto-save before entering the glade as a series of scripts need to be triggered, but can easily fail. Leaving and re-entering the glade may correct some problems, but script failures can cascade, so redoing the glade from the last save is preferable. See bugs for more information on possible issues.|
Finding Ancestor GladeEdit
The first objective in this quest is to find a Moth Priest's draw knife. As you can see on your map, the place to do this is the Ancestor Glade. The closest place to fast travel to is Falkreath. Take the eastern road out of Falkreath and continue until you come to a four-way intersection. Following the south road will lead you to Peak's Shade Tower, while the northeast and southwest roads lead to Pinewatch and Halldir's Cairn, respectively. Turn left onto the northeast road and you will soon reach a bandit outpost consisting of two wooden towers connected by a wooden bridge standing over the pathway. Shortly after you hit the bandit outpost, there will be a small mountain path marked with a pile of stones to the right.
Take the mountain path to the right and you will find a bandit camp with a tent and bedroll, as well as a tanning rack and firepit. If you are looking to the right of the camp, you will again see the mountain path, so continue on it as the dirt trail leads into the snow. Follow the trail until it stops, where you will be facing a rock wall. If you look to your left, you will see a pile of rocks. Past this rock pile on the right is a pile of rocks marked with a flag.
Continue past the flagged rocks and you will see a second flagged pile of rocks where the trail resumes. Follow it and you will reach the entrance to Ancestor Glade at the top of the hill. To find the entrance, head left on the pathway and look for a cave on the right. Enter the cave to continue the quest.
If you told Serana to leave you, she will be back with you once you enter the cave. Once in the cave, continue straight and up to the left a bit so you are in a wider cavern with trees. To get to where you need to go, continue up to the left so you are on a ledge. You can cross to the other ledge by going over a tree. Continue on the obvious pathway and you will hit a rock area that is lit up. Go left (the only way you can go) and continue on your journey. You will come to a huge cavern with a weird light shining up. If you look down you will see there is now an actual pathway with stairs further on so go down that path. The path will turn sharply, almost invisibly to the left so be careful that you don't miss it. Before you turn left, if you look straight you will see stairs in the distance. There is a stream separating you from the stairs. Jump down and turn right on the stream. Walk through the part where water is dropping down and keep going. Right after the little "rapids" in the stream, there is a rock to the right with a shield and a dagger on it. After taking what you want, follow the objective marker from the stream to where you need to go.
Using the Draw KnifeEdit
Activate the draw knife holder to get a draw knife. Canticle trees are everywhere but the closest one is to the north side of the place where you got the draw knife. After you have obtained some bark it will tell you to attract seven Ancestor Moth swarms. All of the swarms are flying around the Ancestor Glade and are in no predictable position so you just have to run around and find them. To collect them, simply run by them and they will start to follow you. Once you have all seven, the objective pointer appears in the beam of light. Go to where it points you and read the Elder Scroll (Blood). This will cause you to read all three scrolls.
Reading the Elder ScrollsEdit
After reading all three Elder Scrolls, you will see a map-like object that is glowing. Notable features include two red symbols, the one at the lower left representing the ram of Markarth, and the one at the upper right representing the wolf of Solitude. The lines represent rivers. The location of Auriel's Bow is shown by the small white symbol, similar to the Elder glyph , near the head of the river in the top-left quarter of the map. Look at it for a while and your vision will white out. Once you regain your vision, you will be back at Ancestor Glade, with the map having disappeared.
Talk To SeranaEdit
Talk to Serana and she will ask if you are okay. Regardless of what you say, she will ask about Auriel's Bow and you will say "It's in a place called Darkfall Cave". She will ask where it is and you will say "The scrolls gave me its exact location", even though it's quite hard to find the cave in your vision. After that you complete the quest and the quest Touching the Sky will start. As you leave the cavern, you will be ambushed by Dawnguard Soldiers or Vampires, depending on whose side you chose in the Dawnguard questline.
- Serana will automatically become a follower at the start of this quest. If you already have a follower at this time, they will not be dismissed. As long as you do not dismiss Serana at any time, you are able to replace your other follower repeatedly until you arrive at Ancestor Glade. [verification needed — see ]
- Your other follower is automatically dismissed upon entering Ancestor Glade.
- You can keep your second follower by telling them to 'wait here' while outside Ancestor Glade. You must do this before entering otherwise the second follower will be dismissed. Once the quest is completed, exit Ancestor Glade and your second follower will still be outside. Simply tell your second follower to follow you again.
- None of the Elder Scrolls can be removed from your inventory.
- Once you have started the moth collecting endeavor the exit to the glade is barred. This prevents your character from discontinuing this quest and going back out into Tamriel wearing a cloud of moths.
- If you transform into different form (Vampire, Werewolf, etc) while gathering moths, all existing moths will disappear around you, but will not interfere with the ongoing quest count.
- Serana may not have entered the glade with you and is shut out behind the barred gate.
- To fix this, you can wait a couple hours and she will appear next to you or you can reload and make sure she follows you into the cave (possibly needing to use Unrelenting Force) or while looking at the closed bars, move to the left and glitch outside of the level by walking into the wall, then jumping over to the area on the other side of the barred doorway and go back inside the level. Alternatively, you can try to give move commands to Serana by holding down E while facing her until you can command her.
- After obtaining the Draw Knife, you may not be able to harvest the bark from the Canticle Trees.
- You may be able to harvest from the canticle trees, but the objective for attracting moths will never appear.
- The barred gate may not shut.
- You may not be able to read the scroll.
- The post scroll reading attack may not occur.
- The gate may not reopen. This can occur if you fail to speak with Serana before approaching the gate.
- If Serana is in combat mode, kill all the enemies on the far side of the gate (which can be a challenge, since they often move out of range), then speak with her and the gate will open.
- Alternatively, select Serana in the console, move to the far side of the cavern from the gate, then use
moveto playerfollowed by
stopcombat. This should allow you to speak to Serana and the quest will proceed normally after that.
- The gate can be removed by opening the console, selecting the gate with the mouse, then using the
disablecommand. This will allow the enemies in if they're trapped on the other side, and/or allow you to escape.
- Serana may not engage in dialogue after the battle.
|Unseen Visions (DLC1VQ06)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||After discovering that Dexion has become blind, I've had to secure alternate means to decipher the Elder Scrolls and locate Auriel's Bow. It's been suggested that I might be able to read the Elder Scrolls myself if I use an ancient technique performed by the original Moth Priests. I'm now on my way to a place known as the Ancestor Glade to discover the origin of the mysterious ritual.
Objective 10: Find a Moth Priest's knife
Objective 20: Gather bark from a Canticle Tree
Objective 30: Attract Ancestor Moth Swarms (<Global=DLC1VQ06MothsFound>/7)
|50||I've used the unusual knife to collect the bark from the Canticle Trees dotting the Ancestor Glade, which has in turn drawn Ancestor Moths to me. I've felt a surge of energy run through my body and I feel drawn towards the large column of light in the center of the Glade.
Objective 40: Enter the column of light and read the Elder Scroll (Blood)
|60||I'm now standing in a column of light which appears to stretch into the sky at the center of the Ancestor Glade. According to Dexion, I've completed the Ritual of the Ancestor Moth and can now read the Elder Scrolls. I'll need to begin with the Elder Scroll I obtained from the Soul Cairn in order to decipher the location of Auriel's Bow.|
Objective 60: Speak to Serana
|200||After entering the column of light in the Ancestor Glade, I was able to read the Elder Scrolls. I had an incredible vision that pinpointed a cave entrance far away on the western edge of Skyrim. This appears to be the location of Auriel's Bow. If I'm to stop Harkon from completing the Tyranny of the Sun, I should hasten there immediately.|
|After entering the column of light in the Ancestor Glade, I was able to read the Elder Scrolls. I had an incredible vision that pinpointed a cave entrance far away on the western edge of Skyrim. This appears to be the location of Auriel's Bow. If I'm to complete the Tyranny of the Sun before Harkon, I should hasten there immediately.|
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 40, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65.
|Prev: Seeking Disclosure||Up: Dawnguard or
Volkihar Vampire Clan
|Next: Touching the Sky|