|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
||Yet another child has prayed to their mother.
The Night Mother's sarcophagus
- Approach the Night Mother.
- Speak with the contact.
- Kill the target.
Keeping the FaithEdit
After the events of Hail Sithis!, the Dark Brotherhood has new headquarters to improve and maintain. As the Listener, your responsibility is to heed the Night Mother and continue to fulfill contracts. For this recurring quest, approaching the Night Mother will initiate a dialogue: another child has prayed to their mother and performed the Black Sacrament, securing another contract for the Brotherhood. Travel to the specified location and speak to the client who will give you a name and location of a generic NPC that he wants eliminated. The client will pay you the money up front. Travel to the location and complete the contract. Return to the Night Mother for another contact as needed or desired.
Contact the Client...Edit
The client will be one of ten randomly chosen citizens who performed the Black Sacrament.
None of the contract givers exist prior to the quest:
- "Speak with the Blasphemous Priest at the Temple of Kynareth, in Whiterun. Accept his gold, then kill the target. Hail Sithis!"
- "Speak with the Corrupt Agent at the Penitus Oculatus Outpost, in Dragon Bridge. Accept his gold, then kill the target. Hail Sithis!"
- "Speak with the Desperate Gambler at the Barracks, in Windhelm. Accept his gold, then eliminate the target. So begins a contract, bound in blood."
- "Speak with the Dishonored Skald at the Bards College, in Solitude. Accept his gold, then eliminate the target. So begins a contract, bound in blood."
- "Speak with the Griefstricken Chef, at the Windpeak Inn, here in Dawnstar. Accept his gold, then eliminate the target. Hail the Listener! Hail Sithis!"
- "Speak with the Indolent Farmer at the Vilemyr Inn, in Ivarstead. Accept his gold, then kill the target. So begins a contract, bound in blood."
- "Speak with the Nervous Patron at Candlehearth Hall, in Windhelm. Accept his gold, then kill the target. So begins a contract, bound in blood."
- "Speak with the Scheming Servant at the Keep in Markarth. Accept his gold, then eliminate the target. So begins a contract, bound in blood."
- "Speak with the Wary Outlaw at the Bee and Barb, in Riften. Accept his gold, and then eliminate the target. So begins a contract, bound in blood."
- "Speak with the Unemployed Laborer at the Frostfruit Inn, in Rorikstead. Accept his gold, then kill the target. So begins a contract, bound in blood."
...Now Find the TargetEdit
All contract givers share the same dialogue and will spawn a randomly chosen target from the following dialogue options:
- "So you're the... the assassin? I need you to kill the Visiting Noble at Dragonsreach, in Whiterun. Here's the gold. I... I hope it's enough."
- "So you're the one from the... Dark Brotherhood? I need you to kill the Big Laborer at Katla's Farm. Here's the gold for the kill. Make it painful."
- "You must be the... assassin. I need you to kill the Itinerant Lumberjack, in Morthal, at the logging camp. Here, this is all the gold I have."
- "You're the assassin, right? Look, there's this Reckless Mage in the Frozen Hearth Inn, in Winterhold. I want him dead. This gold should cover it."
- "You're the one? From the... the Dark Brotherhood? The man I need killed is a Seasoned Hunter. He's just outside Falkreath. Here's the gold..."
- "You're here! I was wondering if that Black Sacrament even worked. I need you to kill a woman, a Poor Fishwife, on the Riften Docks. Here's the gold."
- "Dark Brotherhood? You look the type. Listen, there's this Grim Shieldmaiden walking the streets of Markarth. Kill her. Now take this gold, and go."
- "Are you the assassin? From the...? Well, there's this Traveling Dignitary, in Solitude. I need her... you know. This gold will cover it, right?"
- "I'm glad you're here. I need you to kill a Coldhearted Gravedigger, tends to work in the Hall of the Dead in Windhelm. This is all the gold I have."
- "Good, you're here. Look, in Ivarstead, there's this Beautiful Barbarian. I need her dead. Don't ask why. Just do it. This gold should cover it."
- The targets that you are supposed to murder never sleep, and almost always stay in crowded areas. This can make it very difficult to kill them without incurring a bounty. One possible way to accomplish it is to hide a safe distance away (remain in sneak mode and make sure the eye is totally closed) and then send a follower to kill the target. Run outside the area in question while the crowd is retaliating against your follower, and then fast travel out of the hold. Your follower will fast travel with you.
- All targets have 50 health. Plan your assassination tools (such as poisons and weapon choices) with this in mind.
- If the recently killed target is reanimated and subsequently turned into an ash pile on their "second death", the next time they are randomly chosen as a target, both the NPC and the ash pile will appear. Attempting to search the ash pile will cause the NPC to speak. Sneaking and searching the ash pile qualifies as pickpocketing.
- Sometimes if you reactivate (or talk to) the contact while they are still talking it will cause you to get paid twice.
- Sometimes you can intimidate the target when talking to him. This can cause him to attack you, and the surrounding people will try to kill him. If they kill him, the quest will be complete and you will not have a bounty. The target can also try to flee; in that case, chase him into a secluded area, and then kill him.
- Pickpocketing a target will never work, no matter how high your Sneak and Pickpocket skill.
- A good idea is to kill your target at a distance with a bow, or get up close and personal with a dagger. Bows are useful for crowded places while daggers are better for more secluded targets.
- With high sneak and archery skill levels and a strong bow, such as the Enhanced Dwarven Crossbow, you can kill any assigned target in one shot. Wait until dark (if outside) or find a shadowy corner and go into sneak mode to do so undetected, then simply walk away. You may find that this makes the quest too easy, however.
- Sometimes the contact will simply say, "Look, I'm busy. Please go bother somebody else." If you return after a few days, the contact will eventually give you information about the target. It will count as speaking to the contact but you will not receive payment. ?
|The Dark Brotherhood Forever (DBrecurring)
||I am now the Listener and leader of the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim. It is my duty to hear the words of our Unholy Matron, the Night Mother, and do as she commands...
Objective 10: Approach the Night Mother
Objective 20: Speak with the contact
Objective 30: Kill the target
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0.