|Store||The Hag's Cure|
|Gold||500 (+500 Investor; +1000 Master Trader)|
|Sells||See The Hag's Cure|
|Buys||Apothecary (Animal Parts, Food, Ingredients, Poisons, Potions, Raw Food, Recipes)|
|Primary Skills||Alchemy, Speech, Pickpocket, Sneak|
|Essential||Yes, until end of Mourning Never Comes|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionReach; MarkarthHagsCureFaction; MarkarthMuiriFaction; PotentialMarriageFaction; ServicesMarkarthHagsCure; TownMarkarthFaction|
Muiri is a Breton apothecary. She grew up in Windhelm with her best friend Nilsine Shatter-Shield. After Nilsine's sister Friga Shatter-Shield was killed by the Butcher of Windhelm, Muiri met and began a relationship with Alain Dufont. However, he was just using her to get close to the Shatter-Shield Clan and steal their valuables, including the family heirloom Aegisbane. The Shatter-Shield Clan blamed Muiri for this and forced her out of Windhelm and onto the streets. Muiri eventually ended up in Markarth, where she started working as an assistant to Bothela at the Hag's Cure. Bitter at the betrayal by Alain Dufont and being abandoned by Nilsine Shatter-Shield, she performs the Black Sacrament and requests that the Dark Brotherhood kill Alain.
Starting from midnight, Muiri will sleep at the Hag's Cure until 6am, she will then have breakfast for an hour before returning to bed for an hour. Work then begins for Muiri at the Hag's Cure from 8am through until 1pm, where she takes a one hour lunch break, then returns to work until 7pm. From 7pm till midnight she leaves the Hag's Cure to enjoy a 5 hour meal, after which she will return to the Hag's Cure to sleep.
Muiri wears a set of farm clothes, including a pair of boots. She is equipped with an iron dagger and has a copy of the key to the Hag's Cure. She also carries common loot and a small amount of gold. As Muiri was trained by Bothela, she knows all of the same spells she does. From the Conjuration school, she has access to Conjure Familiar; from the Destruction school she has Flames; she can also use the Healing spell from the Restoration school.
Mourning Never ComesEdit
During the quest, it will be revealed that Muiri performed The Black Sacrament, and you will be sent to her in order to get the contract's details by Astrid. When you arrive at The Hag's Cure, Muiri will actually be quite surprised:
- "Why are you looking at me like that?"
- The Dark Brotherhood has come, Muiri.
- "The Dark Brotherh... Oh. Oh! I... my goodness, you're really here! The Black Sacrament. It actually worked?"
- Obviously. Now tell me what you need.
- "What I need? What I need is for Alain Dufont to die! I want him hunted down and murdered like the dog he is!"
You will then gain three possible dialogue choices. All three result in the same response from Muiri:
|Your Options||Muiri's Reply|
|I'll need more to go on than that...||"I didn't know it when we were... with each other... but Alain is actually the leader of a band of cutthroats. Bandits. They're holed up in some old dwarven ruin - Raldbthar. It's near Windhelm. They use it as their base. It's where they stage their raids. I want you to go to that ruin, find Alain Dufont, and kill him. I don't care about his friends. Do whatever you want with them. But Alain has to die!"|
|By Sithis, I need details. Get to the point.|
- It will be done.
- "Excellent. Once Alain is dead, I'll pay you. In gold. I've saved up a bit. I hope that'll do. But, well... There is one more thing. If you're interested?"
- I'm listening.
- "If you can... I want you to kill someone else, as well. You don't have to - not as part of our deal. But if you do... I'll pay you even more. It's Nilsine Shatter-Shield, in Windhelm. If Nilsine dies, too... I'll make it worth your while."
If you have already killed Alain:
- Actually, Alain Dufont is already dead. I killed him.
- "What? Alain is... is dead? I... I'm grateful. It's just this... this isn't at all how I imagined things would play out. There was Alain, but I was considering more, and... Ah, well. Dead is dead. Right? My thanks to you, assassin. Here's the gold I was going to pay for the job. You earned it, after all."
If spoken to again:
- "Isn't there some business you should be tending to?"
- Tell me the full story. Why do you want Alain dead?
- "I went to Windhelm to see the Shatter-Shields. They were old and dear friends, and... in mourning. Friga was killed recently. Murdered... I met Alain in the tavern, while I was... drinking my sadness away. He was handsome, and charming. He said I was the "beautiful lily" of his dreams. Alain made all the pain just... go away. But it was all lies! Alain used me. He ruined my name, destroyed my friendship with the Shatter-Shields... Do you know why Alain was in Windhelm? He heard about Friga's murder. He wanted to befriend the family, in their grief... and rob them blind. Alain used me to get close to my friends. And now they all think I'm some kind of... monster. Alain Dufont took my life. And now I'm taking his."
- And Nilsine Shatter-Shield? Why must she die?
- "Don't you see? I was like a daughter to Tova. A sister to Nilsine and Friga. But the family refuses to believe my innocence. No matter what I say. Couldn't they understand that I was used? That I was grieving for Friga, too? No... they treated me like garbage, threw me away. With Nilsine dead, maybe then Tova will realize what she's lost, hmm? Maybe then she'll see that I was just as much a daughter as the others. And if not, may she drown in her own tears."
- Is there anything else?
- "I planned to kill Alain myself, you know. Nilsine, too. But lost my nerve. I even brewed a special poison, Lotus Extract. Maybe you could use it? Just coat your weapon with it. Then... you get the idea."
- "Make them all pay for what they've done to me..."
Once you return from killing Alain, Muiri will be anxious, asking:
- "Well, what news? Is Alain..."
If only Alain was killed:
- Alain Dufont now lies dead.
- "That bastard got exactly what he deserved. But last I heard, Nilsine is still alive. So I guess you decided not to kill her as well. I have to admit... I'm disappointed. Here's the payment for killing Alain. And nothing for letting Nilsine live. Just remember, that was your decision."
If both Alain and Nilsine were killed:
- Alain Dufont now lies dead.
- "Thank you. That bastard got exactly what he deserved. And... I heard about Nilsine. You have more than fulfilled your part of the bargain. Please, take this - as payment, and a symbol of my affection. I'll never forget you."
When spoken to while she works at the store with Bothela still alive, Muiri will greet you by stating her job:
- "I'm Bothela's assistant. She's the one you should talk to if you need an herb or a potion."
Should Bothela be dead, then she will take over the store, although she makes it clear that she's not ready for it:
- "I've taken over the Hag's Cure, since Bothela is gone."
- "I'm not sure if half these potions work. But they should. I think."
- "I wish Bothela was still running the store. I'm not ready for this."
If spoken to after Mourning Never Comes:
- "Thank you again for resolving my... problem."
However, even if Bothela is around, Muiri will make it clear that she has difficulties with her tasks:
- "There's so much to learn about the shop. I'll never get it all straight."
When exiting conversation:
- "I should get back to memorizing recipes."
- "Now, is lavender an herb or a poison? Hmm...."
If Muiri is spoken to outside the store:
- "Why can't the men in this city leave me alone?"
Muiri will have several conversations with Bothela about her continuing education, Muiri's life issues, and about Bothela's family.
- Bothela: "No, no girl. It's the pickled spider tongue and then the decayed taproot. Do it the other way, and your cure turns into a poison."
- Muiri: "There's just so much to memorize. How am I supposed to remember what goes where for every single herb?"
- Bothela: "You will. Until then, you'll taste every potion you make before you sell it."
- Bothela: "You should be more careful with the men you pick, dear."
- Muiri: "He said he loved me..."
- Bothela: "Real men prove their love. Words are as empty as the air they run through."
- Bothela: "Stop moping about, girl. Tears won't change what you've done."
- Muiri: "I was such a fool. How could I let him use me like that?"
- Bothela: "We all get used, dear. It's living with it that makes you a woman."
- Muiri: "Bothela, I have a question...."
- Bothela: "You want to know a secret of mine, young girl? The most effective poison to kill a man? A potion to make others fall in love, perhaps?"
- Muiri: "I was actually just wondering if you had any family...."
- Bothela: "Oh. Oh, I see...."
- Muiri: "I'm sorry. You don't have to tell me if you don't...."
- Bothela: "I have one. A nephew. He's in prison for being a member of the Forsworn."
- Muiri: "I'm sorry, I didn't realize."
- Bothela: "Don't be. We all make mistakes."
- If you choose to destroy the Dark Brotherhood, or if you decide not to murder Nilsine Shatter-Shield, then you can still marry her if Bothela is killed and you invest with Muiri after she takes over the shop. However, killing Bothela yourself will lower Muiri's disposition.
- Originally, Alain Dufont was to appear as a prisoner in Windhelm. The quest's main objective would remain the same, but rather than revenge on Nilsine, Muiri would want Alain disgraced in front of all of Windhelm. In order to complete this objective, you would've had a fight with him in the Pit, Windhelm's removed arena.
- Windhelm guards may mention her if they see you in possession of Aegisbane, saying "That hammer... Why that's Aegisbane, heirloom of Clan Shatter-Shield! Last I heard, it was stolen by a couple of swindlers. Alain and... Muiri. Yeah."
- Completing the Mourning Never Comes quest will trigger new dialogue in which she hesitantly thanks you for solving her "problem". However, the dialogue does not disappear if you marry her.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.2 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- If affected by Muiri's dialogue bug noted above, and you have not yet completed the Dark Brotherhood questline, it may make you unable to complete the quests given by Astrid.
- PC users can fix this by using the console command
resetquest DB03, which removes the completion of Mourning Never Comes. Note that doing this may cause problems when trying to speak with Nazir.
- PC users can fix this by using the console command