Mudcrabs are small hostile creatures primarily found near water. Their corpses may be looted for Mudcrab Chitin which can be used as an ingredient in alchemy, and Mudcrab LegsHF, a food introduced by the Hearthfire add-on. Skyrim mudcrabs are hardier than their Cyrodilic cousins, having nearly triple their health. Furthermore, they are larger, and capable of camouflaging themselves as small rocks, resembling their Vvardenfell cousins. They are poor swimmers, which results in their being swept down swift rivers, and prevents them from properly attacking and defending themselves against slaughterfish, their natural enemies. There are two named mudcrabs in the game: PincerHF, who can be brought in as a pet, and Old SaltyDB.
With the installation of the Hearthfire add-on, you have the ability to create a mudcrab statue on a small base in the trophy room addition of any homestead, should you choose to build it. The materials needed are:
- Arrows shot at mudcrabs will bounce back towards you, just like they do when fired at skeletons and Dwarven Automatons.
- Solstheim MudcrabDB is a unique mudcrab and you can only find it in Editor Smoke Test Cell.
- There is a giant mudcrab shell sitting in a pool of water southeast of Gjukar's Monument, which is also the location where the Mudcrab Guardian Spirit will be found during Kyne's Sacred Trials.
- Mudcrab legsHF have a duplication bug. The model of the single item in the player's inventory is displayed as a pair of legs, and if the player drops a single instance of the item in their inventory the legs will be dropped as two separated legs instead of a single paired-item. If one leg is picked up, the player will receive another pair of mudcrab legs that can be dropped again to become two legs.
- The Dwarven Armored Mudcrab Creation adds a unique Dwarven Armored Mudcrab which can be purchased as a pet from Calcelmo.