|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
|This article could benefit from an image.
See Help:Images for information on how to upload images. Please remove this template from the page when finished.
After reporting to Galmar Stone-Fist, you will be told that Raerek, the steward of Markarth, is secretly a worshipper of Talos and that you will need to find some evidence of this, and then convince him to help the Stormcloaks. Head to Markarth and go into the Understone Keep. Find Raerek's quarters, located to the right as you walk towards the throne. There is a guard there who may or may not talk to you. Don't go up the stairs; instead, take a right and look left. Guards frequently patrol the halls at all hours, however Raerek will be attending to the Jarl throughout most of the day. Sneak in the room, you need to pick the lock, so make sure you have some lockpicks with you. In the dresser against the wall, directly in sight from the doorway, you will find an inscribed amulet of Talos.
Show the amulet to Raerek and he will tell you to follow him, leading you to his quarters. When you get in his quarters he will immediately start dialogue, assuming you want to extort something from him. Asking him if you could come to some sort of agreement will have him mention a shipment of silver and weapons; selecting any topic except the "All right, it's a deal" one will give you the chance to use speech to gain a leveled amount of gold. After he tells you where the wagon is, he will take his amulet back and you will have to return to Galmar.
Return to Galmar Stone-Fist at the Reach camp. After telling him that there is a shipment of coin heading to Solitude, he will tell you to meet with some of his scouts that are situated along the road and ambush the wagon. Once you find them, speak with their leader Ralof. He will inform you that the wagon had an accident and is stranded up the road. He will then tell you that he and his men will eliminate the sentry on top of the hill and that you should go in and distract the Imperials so that the Stormcloaks can shoot them. You can also tell them to stay there while you just go in and slaughter.
If you decide to go with Ralof's plan, tell him you're ready and then creep along with him and his men until he stops at a rock. He will then command his men to fire, and they will kill the guard on the ledge and take up positions along it. Now you have to head down to the Imperials. When you approach them, they will pull out their swords and tell you to move along. Simply attack them and Ralof's men will begin shooting the Imperials. Kill all the Imperials and talk to Ralof. That will complete the quest and you will have to head back to Galmar.
- If Season Unending has been completed before starting this quest and Markarth is given to the Stormcloaks, then this quest is skipped and you proceed to A False Front.
- The chest on the wagon is locked, but you are free to loot it.
- This quest and Compelling Tribute (Imperial) are different radiant versions of the same quest.
- You may find multiple copies of Raerek's Inscribed Amulet of Talos in the chest and Raerek will only take one back.
- You may not find an Amulet of Talos in the chest, making the quest impossible to complete. This will also make future quests with the Stormcloaks impossible to complete. To fix this bug, simply go complete other quests for a while and keep coming back to check inside of the drawer to see if the Inscribed Amulet of Talos is there.
- At the end of the ambush, Ralof doesn't respond to any conversation for some reason, freezing the quest.
- Using the Unrelenting Force shout on Ralof may work to resolve this.
- The horse in the camp may be being treated as an enemy, causing Ralof to be in a combat state. Killing the horse or making it friendly by riding it may solve this.
- If you have the Markarth bounty bug, you cannot enter Markarth or complete this quest.
- You are able to still do this quest if your bounty is too high. Hopefully if you have already been to the keep, you can fast travel there. Once inside you can kill the guards at the front and then sneak around and hope you aren't found by Faleen, since she can't die. Just reload if she finds you. Once you get to the door, open it and sneak over to the dresser to find the blackmail piece and the rest works like normal. Eventually, the Stormcloaks take over and your Reach bounty disappears.
- Use the console command
tdetectto turn off AI detection while talking to Raerek, otherwise wait in his room until he goes there to sleep, and confront him there.
|Compelling Tribute (CWMission07)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||Galmar Stone-Fist has sent me to investigate the possibility of blackmailing Raerek. As Igmund's Steward, He might be able to provide important information and assets.
Objective 10: Find evidence
Objective 20: Blackmail Raerek
|30||Raerek gave me information about a delivery of weapons and coin headed toward the enemy capital. I should return to camp and inform Galmar Stone-Fist.
Objective 30: Report to Galmar Stone-Fist
|40||Galmar Stone-Fist has sent me to meet with a scouting party that should be in the area of the enemy shipment. Together we will over power the enemy and secure the weapons and coin.
Objective 40: Meet the men
Objective 50: Follow Ralof and ambush enemy scout
Objective 60: Take over the caravan
Objective 60: Take over the caravan
Objective 90: Report to Ralof
|200||I have successfully blackmailed Raerek and captured a shipment of enemy weapons and coin.|
Objective 100: Report success to Galmar Stone-Fist
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 25, 41, 51, 55, 100, 255.