|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
After purchasing a Dwarven item of any kind inside a city, a courier may come to you shortly afterward with a letter from Calcelmo in Markarth, saying that he wants to buy the item from you. Reading the letter triggers this quest.
When you take the item to Calcelmo, you can sell it to him for twice the item's base value. If you succeed at a persuade (Speech 50+) or intimidate check, Calcelmo will offer two and a half times the item's base value.
|Sounds fair. Here you go.||Wonderful. You've just made an important contribution to the advancement of a Dwemer scholarship.||Make the deal|
|I think you can do better than that.
|Passed: Well... I suppose important research is worth every coin. All right. You have yourself a deal. How's double and a half its value in trade?
Failed: With this the world could have a better understanding of the Dwemer! Come now, where's your sense of propriety? Extorting an old man like this.
|Passed: Make a decision on the new deal
|Not good enough. I'll shake the extra coin out of you if I must.
|Passed: Hold on, there. I suppose, in the uh, interest of research... I can spare a few more coins. Double and a half its value. That's all I can muster.
Failed: Ha! I'll see to it the Jarl hears of your abuse of a court scholar. Shame on you.
|Passed: Make a decision on the new deal
|Not good enough. I'll hold onto this. You'll need to find another one.||Oh... well... I can see you have no appreciation for scholarship.||Cancel the deal|
- Enchanted and non-enchanted Dwarven apparel and weapons can trigger this quest.
- You can keep the item and complete the quest by agreeing to sell, immediately exiting dialogue, and then dropping your item before it is removed.
- If the item is dropped, sold, tempered, or enchanted the quest cannot be completed unless you find another, identical item (as stated in his message).
- This quest may be triggered multiple times.
- If you have two of the requested item and want to keep a specific one, trade the one you want to your follower then finish the quest as Calcelmo might end up taking the one you want to keep.
- As the price Calcelmo offers is calculated from the base value of the item (e.g., Dwarven gauntlets have a base value of 85 septims), selling an enchanted item through this quest can be a horribly bad deal.
- With the addition of Dwarven bolts in the Dawnguard add-on, Calcelmo can ask for any of the three explosive bolts discovered during the Ancient Technology radiant quests. Due to the way rewards are calculated, however, you will get an extremely small amount of gold for selling them to him.
- Calcelmo may not acknowledge that an item is in your inventory.
- Removing the item and getting it back again, such as dropping it and picking it up or trading it to a follower temporarily, may fix this. You may have to be in third-person view or the item could disappear when you drop it.
- If you have sold/lost the item, you can add it to your inventory through the console commands and it may be accepted by Calcelmo.
- If you have sold/lost the item, a forged/enchanted replacement may not be accepted by Calcelmo.
- Items that have been marked for the quest, but the courier has not delivered the note regarding, can be enchanted but cannot be named.
- The item Calcelmo requests may not be removed from your inventory when you are rewarded.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- The Execution Hood from With Friends Like These... is counted as a Dwarven artifact for this quest.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.1 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
|Buy Dwarven artifact (WIAddItem07)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
Objective 10: Bring a <Alias=Item> to Calcelmo
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 100, 200, 255.