|Sells||7 Random drinks, 10 Random inn food|
|Buys||Innkeeper (Food, Raw Food)|
|Primary Skills||Alchemy, Conjuration|
|Essential||Yes, until Recipe for Disaster|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionReach; During sieges, staff and family hide.; FavorExcludedFaction; JobMerchantFaction; MarkarthCastleServantsFaction; MarkarthKeepFaction; ServicesMarkarthCastleCook; TownMarkarthFaction|
Anton Virane is a Breton citizen living in Markarth. He was born in Daggerfall in High Rock, which is where he learned to cook. He is the master chef working in Understone Keep with his two assistants Rondach and Voada, although he considers them both to be worthless. He is often assumed to be a native of the Reach, an accusation which he finds offensive. He is also a close friend of Balagog gro-Nolob.
Recipe for DisasterEdit
During Recipe for Disaster, you will be sent to Anton to discover the identity of the Gourmet. When you greet Anton, he'll say:
- "Yes, yes, for the hundredth time, I am a Breton. I was born in High Rock. And then I came here. I am not a Reachman!"
- "Who are you? What do you want?"
- The Gourmet. Who is he? Where is he?
- "The... the Gourmet? Never! I don't know what led you here, but nothing will betray my trust. I'll take the secret of the Gourmet's identity to my grave."
- For the Dark Brotherhood, that can be easily arranged.
- "The Dark Brotherhood? Now... now wait a minute. Let's not get hasty. I mean, surely my friend wouldn't want me to endanger my own life. Right? Look, his name is Balagog gro-Nolob. He's an Orc! The Gourmet's an Orc! He's staying at the Nightgate Inn. That's all I know! Now... now you'll let me go. Right?"
You'll now have a few options:
|Of course, Anton. Thank you. (Lie)||"Okay. All right. Wonderful. You're welcome! I'll just be on my way, then..."||Anton walks away|
|I'm afraid not. Loose ends, and all that.||"No. Oh, please no..."||Anton runs away|
|(Remain Silent)||"So... we're done?"||Anton walks away|
When you approach him for the first time, Anton will make it clear to you that he is not a native of the Reach:
- "Before you say anything, no, I am not from the Reach."
- You're not from the Reach?
- "No. I'm a Breton from High Rock, and I refuse to be mistaken for a filthy native. I don't care if we share the same ancestors, these people are savages. Half of them are Forsworn barbarians, and have you seen what they eat? What have I done for the gods to take me so far from my beloved Daggerfall?"
- So you're from Daggerfall, then?
- "Yes. The finest court in all of High Rock. You think politics here are something? Well, we Bretons invented politics. That is where I learned to cook, and where I belong. Not here, with all these dogs."
His greetings can be:
- "I have meals to cook for the entire castle and almost no help."
- "The Jarl gives me two incompetent assistants. Worthless."
He can often be seen yelling at his workers:
- Anton Virane: "Voada, you spilled laundry water in the soup pot again! Do I need to cut off your fingers to teach you a lesson?"
- Rondach: "You touch her, and I swear it'll be your fingers that go missing, you stupid Breton!"
- Anton Virane: "What was that?"
- Voada: "Now now, brother. is just being his usual gloomy self, he didn't mean it, did you ? You're just being silly again."
- Anton Virane: "Whatever. Just get back to work. Now."
- Anton Virane: "Filthy natives. Get to work. We have meals to prepare and no time to prepare them!"
- Voada: "Right away, sir!"
- Rondach: "Always another big meal to cook. Figures."
- Anton Virane: "Move it. Get to work. Get to work!"