|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
For the alternate version, see Animal Extermination (A).
- Request work from Companion leader Aela the Huntress.
- Kill the boss beast in the random animal den.
- Return to Aela.
Life as a CompanionEdit
Once you have completed the Take Up Arms quest, you can begin work as a Companion. The Companions tradition of service dates back to the mercenary aid given to Ysgramor by the Five Hundred Companions. Since then the Companions have served as a group of impartial and independent contractors, helping out commoner and jarl alike in matters of might, but taking no sides nor making any alliances themselves.
The Extermination JobEdit
When you speak to Aela to ask for work she will reply, "The Jarl of <Hold > has asked for our help. It seems that predators have taken up residence and have been attacking farmers and travelers. Someone's got to head out there and take care of the beasts."
When you reply that you can take care of it, Aela will respond with either words of encouragement or caution:
"I knew we could count on you. Get it taken care of right away. Nobody wants an animal left roaming around in their place." or "Be cautious. Beasts are not nearly as predictable as men. Give the thing a quick death."
As she sends you on your way your journal will reflect your new quest and your map will update with the beast den location. As this is a radiant quest, the boss-type beast will be in any of these 17 locations:
Once you have killed the beast, return to Jorrvaskr and speak with Aela again. Let her know you have completed the task, to which she will reply: "Good work. The mindless cretins didn't stand a chance." Your reward of leveled gold will then be added.
- Although there may be multiple beasts at the targeted destination, only the boss beast (the one highlighted by the quest marker) actually needs to be killed to complete the quest.
- If the cave that it randomly chooses for you has already been cleared, you may run into a situation where the beast you need to exterminate has already been killed, and the quest marker will point at the corpse, making it impossible to complete the quest. This removes the ability to complete further tasks for the Companions, as they will remark that you have not finished your current contract. Even reanimating the corpse of the beast and killing it again will not fix the issue.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.6 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- This can be fixed with the console command
setstage cr02 20.
|Animal Extermination (CR02)|
|Stage||Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|10||I've been asked to take care of a <Alias=BeastBoss> lair in <Alias=DenHold>.
Objective 10: Clear out <Alias=AnimalDen>
|20||I cleared a <Alias=BeastBoss> lair in <Alias=DenHold>.
Objective 20: Return to Aela
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 0, 1.