|Primary Skills||Heavy Armor, Two-handed, Archery, Block|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionHaafingar; Favor104QuestGiverFaction; PotentialFollowerFaction; SolitudeJalasHouseFaction; TownSolitudeFaction|
Ahtar is a Redguard warrior in Solitude where he works as public executioner and warden of Castle Dour Dungeon. He recently let one of his prisoners escape and will task you with killing the escapee. In return, Ahtar will not only reward you, he will also become available as a follower.
When first entering Solitude, you will witness Ahtar carrying out his duties as executioner when he decapitates Roggvir while numerous citizens cheer. Ahtar himself will be unaffected and will just keep track of his beheadings, saying: "That makes Twenty-Three." After the execution, Ahtar will return to his job in the depths of Castle Dour dungeon where he wanders around from 8am to 8pm. He spends the evening inside the Winking Skeever. When the clock strikes midnight he heads down to the house of local merchant Jala for eight hours of sleep.
Ahtar is equipped with the rare headsman's axe and wears the unobtainable executioner's robes, boots, and gloves. He carries an Orcish sword, the key to Jala's house, the Castle Dour dungeon key, a belted tunic, and a selection of middle-class items and gold.
Kill the Bandit LeaderEdit
If you speak to him directly, he will ask:
- "You wouldn't be a sellsword, would you? I have a little problem you could solve."
- What's this problem you have?
- "I may have accidentally let a prisoner escape. The leader of one of those bandit groups. I told everyone he died during questioning, and I need you to track him down and make sure he doesn't show up to disprove that."
- I'll do it.
- "Good. I'll have a sack of coin waiting for you when you get back."
- I'll do it.
- Forget it.
- "Suit yourself."
- Forget it.
If spoken to again before the bandit is dead:
- "Remember. I need that bandit dead. Not alive."
- "That's a load off my mind. Here's your pay."
When approached he can potentially say:
- "Mind yourself in my city, friend/lass. This here axe in full swing is a right terrible sight..."
- "You stay out of trouble, now. The Castle Dour dungeon can break even the strongest will."
- "Not much work being a jailor. Long as you can ignore the pleading and all that."
- "Ain't many visitors come to the dungeon. Every now and then Sybille Stentor will come by looking for... volunteers."
If spoken to directly:
- You were the one who executed that man…
- "Aye. I'm the headsman here in Solitude. It's my job"
- Do they keep you busy?
- "Depends on what you mean by "busy." I'm also the head jailor in the dungeon here. Quiet job, usually."
- When's your next execution?
- "Ain't got one. But I'd fancy a chance at that Jaree-Ra's scrawny neck. Filthy Argonian never would have set foot in this city, if High King Torygg was still alive. I can tell you that."
If you have killed Jaree-Ra:
- I took care of him and the Blackblood Marauders.
- "Good man/lass."
When exiting conversation he can potentially say:
- "Keep your head about you."
- "Just watch yourself. You don't want to meet me on the job."
- If you have already killed Captain Hargar by finishing the quest Lights Out! from Jaree-Ra or by cleaning out that cave without quest, Ahtar can no longer give you the quest Kill the Bandit Leader and will not be available as a follower.
- If Captain Hargar is dead, it may still be possible to gain Ahtar as a follower; however you may need to try repeatedly in order for it to work. Drop a piece of apparel in front of him, which may trigger him stopping you and asking if he can have the item you dropped. If you allow him to have it, Ahtar will regard you favorably, thereby enabling the dialogue option to gain him as a follower.
- If the Headsman's Axe is taken from Ahtar before he is inducted into the Blades, and then given back to him after the induction, he will use the axe. This blocks the possible problem of the Blades using one-handed weapons, with Ahtar's Two-handed skill being higher.
- Ahtar may be stuck in Jala's House during the day unless you unlock the door (trespass), or use 'moveto player' to teleport Ahtar to your location (no trespass) so you can talk to him to finish the 'Kill the Bandit Leader' quest.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.2.6 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- During his daily routine, headsman Ahtar was supposed to engage in conversation with the imprisoned Bjartur. However, the two conversations will never be heard due to several developer oversights:
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.4 of the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.
- Ahtar: "Rest up, scum. Probably getting executed tomorrow."
- Bjartur: "Yeah, you said that yesterday."
- Ahtar: "Come now. You'll want to show up in Sovngarde refreshed. You got an eternity of merrimakin' ahead of you." or
"Guess the headsman's been busy with all your friends. Ha ha ha ha ha!"
- Bjartur: "Hey, jailor! What I don't understand is why you're siding with the Imperials."
- Ahtar: "Shut up, scum."
- Bjartur: "I mean, the Redguards fought off the Aldmeri and the Empire, and now Hammerfell is an independent state. That's all we Nords want for Skyrim!"
- Ahtar: "I said shut up, scum!"
- Bjartur: "So it's okay if your people rebel against the Empire, but not mine?"
- Ahtar: "They aren't my "people." I'm with the Empire because they pay me. And that means I'm out here, and you're in there. So shut up, scum!"