The Gates of Oblivion is the fifth main story arc of Elder Scrolls Online, following on from the Dark Heart of Skyrim. It is an overarching story which spans multiple content updates in the form of DLC, Chapters, and free quests, covering the entirety of 2021's content releases. Details of the plot were officially announced on January 26, 2021. It takes place in Cyrodiil and the Deadlands and involves a threat from Mehrunes Dagon.
It was succeeded by the Legacy of the Bretons.
Due to the multiple content releases involved in the Gates of Oblivion, there are no prerequisites for completing these quests (outside of the epilogue) and they can be done in any order. However, they do follow a chronological order as listed here.
- Flames of Ambition Storyline — Quests relating to a forgotten secret of the Longhouse Emperors
- Blackwood Chapter Prologues
- Blackwood Storyline — Quests to stop Mehrunes Dagon's machinations in Blackwood
- A Deadly Secret: Find and warn former Elder Council members in Blackwood.
- An Unexpected Adversary: Unmask the mysterious faction behind the deaths of former Elder Councilors in Blackwood.
- A Hidden Vault: Find out just what lies within the Daedric vault at Ojel-Bak.
- A Mysterious Event: Crash an exclusive Waking Flame event and find an Ambition.
- Weapons of Destruction: Help the twins gain control of their powers by meeting Sombren's mentor.
- Pyre of Ambition: Defend Fort Redmane against the forces of Mehrunes Dagon.
- Heroes of Blackwood: Attend the celebration thrown for you.
- Waking Flame Storyline — Quests to investigate further Waking Flame activity
- The Deadlands DLC Prologues
- The Deadlands Storyline — Quests to defend Fargrave and Nirn from invasion
- The Celestial Palanquin: You have been summoned to Fargrave, a strange city in Oblivion.
- Destruction Incarnate: Investigate the purpose of the Waking Flame's Cataclyst devices.
- The Durance Vile: The Waking Flame have been kidnapping unaligned Dremora for a nefarious purpose.
- Born of Grief: Ascend Annihilarch's Summit to locate the Waking Flame's hidden base.
- Deadlight: Invade a lost realm of Oblivion that serves as Sister Celdina's headquarters.
- Against All Hope: Launch an attack on the citadel of Ardent Hope and take on Valkynaz Nokvroz.
- Epilogue — The final arc surrounding the secret power of the Four Ambitions (requires completion of Blackwood and The Deadlands storylines)
Around December 30th, influencers received ornate coins and a letter from Lyranth saying that the coins were associated with the Order of the Waking Flame. There were three different versions of the coins sent out. Every version had a face depicting a rising sun, the dawn, a common symbol associated with Mehrunes Dagon. The other face of the coins depicted a fox, a boar, and a ram.
Daedric text was featured on each coin face, which read:
- Dawn Face:
- Top: MEHRUNES DAGON
- Bottom: DESTRUCTION CHANGE AMBITION
- Boar Face:
- Top: AMBITION ONE POWER
- Bottom: STRENGTH HONOR REVOLUTION
- Ram Face:
- Top: AMBITIONS KNOWLEDGE FREEDOM
- Bottom: WISDOM ENERG(Y) ADVENTURE
- Fox Face:
- AMBITION FOUL CUNNING (or CULLING)
- JUSTICE HOPE COURAGE